WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2017, 10:31 AM
A Local Legend
The Free State, Maryland, East Coast

Hails from United States
Best Free Website?

Could someone give me the best free website for someone who has no technical skills, thank you. I found this article... http://www.top10bestwebsitebuilders....iAAEgJoq_D_BwE

Last edited by KarenESP : 11-09-2017 at 10:35 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2017, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member

Re: Best Free Website?

Weebly

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2017, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

http://www.proko.com/

http://www.drawmixpaint.com/

http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/

and more . . .
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-15-2017, 03:34 PM
A Local Legend
Gloucestershire

Hails from United Kingdom

Not sure I am allowed to link here but this blog post on the topic might help. In a nutshell, there are lots of free website builders out there, I agree Weebly is one of the easiest to use. Wix is popular too, or perhaps Blogger or Wordpress.com. Do a google search and you'll find lots.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2017, 09:14 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Thank you for all of your replies.

Yes, I did pull a link before I posted and got a 'laundry list' that gives nothing about what you get with each one; nothing further about them.

Also, based on the kind responses... I went to a couple yesterday to try to investigate further... and as soon as you get to one of their sites it immediately leads you down the "primrose path" of : "Click here to get started" meaning: No where to ask a question and no one to call, no ability to call anyone related to this or that web building site to ask what you get for free or what you pay - for ppl like me who don't know.

I know nothing of web site stuff which is why I was asking.

What I want, if there is such a thing, is a website where I don't have to pay a domain fee, if there is such a thing, besides "Fine Art America" type sites where there are so many competitors right beside me.. waiting to be seen with much cooler stuff...

I don't really care if there are a few ads on it at this point. I would like a website with a blog attached if possible.

Also, I've been to a lot of blogs out there, over time, and a lot of ppl don't keep those updated anyway... I always find they are impersonal even though they are supposed to help people 'feel like they know you.' You can't beat the WC forums for helping ppl get to know you if they want to. I always feel let down by a cold, impersonal blog after being on WC so long...

[Whenever I want to comment on a blog...you always have to 'sign in' .. that means you have to 'join'... I feel I never the need to comment so badly that I feel like going through the damned site and figuring out where the 'join' info is... so I wind up never commenting. Blogs should be easier to comment on, my humble opinion.]

Still I would like a Free website with a blog attached if there are any out there. Thank you, Karen

Thanks again for the answers I'll keep trying... or I'll try to at least get my art FB page in order....

ALSO: I felt like a dummy by having to come in here and ask this... but then I saw there were 1700 views or so on the thread - so there must be a lot of ppl who would like to ask this but don't want to feel like a dummy. Or maybe they already found something but were hoping to hear of something 'better' than what they found. I just don't like to have to pay for a domain fee and hosting.. especially when there's nothing coming in to support it.

I've got a nasty note from Fine Art America every time I pop in there reminding me that I haven't paid for my upgraded service this year... well guess what, I can still do now on FAA what I was doing with my fancier service so who cares? I don't even know what that upgraded service was supposed to do for me.

Last edited by KarenESP : 11-18-2017 at 10:02 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2017, 10:14 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Also, I once PAID some ... I don't know what he was supposed to be... art consulant like 80 bucks specifically to help me with what should be on my website....

All he said was "organize it better" meaning just don't slap up all your pieces... for a wildlife person have, North American art, then South American Art, African... etc... or at least by 'Big Cats' "Wild Birds' something...

He really wasn't much more helpful than that, and I felt like I was kinda' ripped off for the 80 bucks I shelled out... but in his defense.. I really didn't have a website up for him to critique much.. so I figured I'd throw that out there for other newbees although I can tell everyone who habitually haunts this business center forum already well knows that.

I also have a terrible time trying to think about what to say about myself. I so easily am able to cast others in great light and give the benefits of what they are offering, but for myself, nothing. That art consultant asked me "what's with the eyes?" I still don't know the answer to that. Doesn't everyone think eyes are cool? I have no idea what I'd say if I ever got an art site up but at least I could have some organization of my pieces I guess. [Actually eyes are fun to do in the medium of colored pencil, that's pretty much it. But that's not very exciting or gripping or makes anything of mine saleable.]

I also don't like going to art websites and reading a lot of crap that people put up trying to look intellectual. I like reading about where they get their reference photos from... what they use... the building pieces of art... anything else on websites that are not about that, my eyes glaze over, fast.

One British artist, he talked a lot about getting reference photos.. he went on safaris and drew sketches, took photos.. all of that was fabulously interesting to me. I don't have any of that to say. What I find interesting on other people's websites, I don't seem to have Lol.

If I ever get a website up.. I plant [plan, ha ha ] to go around and look at the websites of other wildlife artists and then HOPEFULLY I can get a few words together.

Last edited by KarenESP : 11-18-2017 at 10:16 AM.