WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2017, 10:10 AM
Lord of the Arts
U.S.A.

Hails from United States
Palo Duro Impression.

Here is my latest little gouache painting. Size is 4"x6" on 300# paper. As an experiment, I sealed the paper with clear gesso. C&C welcomed.
Regards,
Greg.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2017, 01:20 PM

Re: Palo Duro Impression.

Very nice! I like the boldness of your color choices and brush strokes. Nothing timid here, something I'm struggling with. The only suggestions I have are that, to me, it's a little too "busy". I think that if you softened the background & foreground-by decreasing the value or losing some of the edges-the eye would be drawn more to the structure in the midground.

One thing I am trying to learn from James Gurney is what he calls shape-welding, which ties little shapes together into larger shapes of similar value, saturation, etc. as I understand it. It really seems to ensure the area of intended interest is emphasized in a pleasing way.

The more I look at your painting the more I like it. That's a great accomplishment, I think.

Great job,
Doug (the NC one)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2017, 07:30 PM

Hails from United States

Wow, Greg, what detail! How did you like working on the clear gesso? Is there a working difference between the clear and white?

I think Doug has some valid points. Most paintings have areas that recede in order to showcase the coi. If you change anything, don't change the colors as they are all yummy!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2017, 09:30 PM
A Local Legend
Salt Lake City

Pretty impressive. I did a google search and your picture is on. It is hard to get depth in such a complex subject but you managed. Beautiful and appropriate colors. Gary
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2017, 10:56 AM
Lord of the Arts
U.S.A.

Hails from United States

Gary and Other Doug, thanks for the kind words. As always, I appreciate the feedback. Due to the size, this one brought out quite a few "Four letter Nautical Expressions".
A by A, this was my first experiment with clear gesso but I think there is a difference between White and Clear gesso. I think there was more surface tooth with the Clear. The reason I used the clear gesso was to save the watercolor color already on the paper. I will be exploring the use of clear gesso further.
Regards,
Greg.