WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2017, 06:54 PM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States
Dragon Rider

This is the oldest painting I have in my portfolios, acrylic on Masonite board at 18 x 24. The Frazetta & Boris influence is obvious because, back then (thirty-seven years ago) they and several others in the fantasy realm were my idols.

This was the kind of stuff I would doodle in the back of classrooms in high school. It's okay, though, because I have never been asked by a publisher or an art director to diagram a sentence or work out an algebra problem...."Just deliver the tits and lizard by Friday at ten A. M. "

Yes sir, will do!!!

(The only regret I have about this image is that it was recorded badly (by me) on an old photo-chemical Minolta camera and is poorly cropped to boot. Well, it's the only image I have of it because the original painting sold in a gallery show and we didn't have digital cameras back then and I was a crummy photographer. Oh, well. )
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2017, 07:28 PM
Enthusiast
Texas

Hails from United States
Re: Dragon Rider

Really nice. If the girl were, um, more robust, I would have thought it was a Frazetta. Glad to see somebody shares my love of framing characters in a moon, or spotlight. Framing them in a circle, anyway. No wonder I love tondos. Too bad they are not fashionable
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2017, 07:39 PM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

THANKS!! Yeah, I learned a lot of what I do.... NOT from classes insomuch as just looking at stuff like magazine or paperback covers. You'll see a lot of moons and planets and stuff behind standing figures in my work because it's in my blood after looking at so much fantasy illustration from the fifties and sixties.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2017, 08:06 PM
WC! Guide
Missouri, I'm still in Colorado in my heart

Hails from United States

Pretty cool, it's always good to strive to be like your art heroes, and they are both legends.
My art hero, legend, has been and always will be Micheal Whelan.
I love his mark and they way he uses it in his art.
I noticed that you must have locked into your signature-mark early in your career it looks really close to what you do now.

Dianna

C and C always welcome.
My DeviantArt Gallery http://dianna-art.deviantart.com/gallery/
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2017, 08:55 PM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

Yep, that's right. When I was in high school my signature was this block lettering type of thing and my mom said that I should strive to have a more interesting tag for my name so I came up with what I do now which is sort of a combination of Frazetta's and Armstrong's.

Sometimes my signature is a little wonky if I sign it in digital (a lot of the time I upload the art for viewing and have forgotten to sign it), but it looks nice in pencil and paint.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2017, 08:23 AM
WC! Guide
Germany

Hails from Germany

Looks to me like a big iguana , or a very undersized rider
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2017, 11:28 AM
A WC! Legend
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

I thought right away of Boris Vallejo. My introduction to him was the book plates I got for signing up with the Science Fiction Book Club.

mkmcreations.com
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2017, 12:04 PM
Enthusiast
Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman
Pretty cool, it's always good to strive to be like your art heroes, and they are both legends.
My art hero, legend, has been and always will be Micheal Whelan.
I love his mark and they way he uses it in his art.
I noticed that you must have locked into your signature-mark early in your career it looks really close to what you do now.
Like this?

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2017, 03:56 PM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedetony
Looks to me like a big iguana , or a very undersized rider

I had in mind to do a type of mutated lizard about the size of rhino because it would look different than a full fledged cartoony dragon which everyone does. More prehistoric than mythological.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2017, 04:03 PM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderFrost
I thought right away of Boris Vallejo. My introduction to him was the book plates I got for signing up with the Science Fiction Book Club.

Frazetta HATED Boris....he never mentioned him by name but said once that his, (Frazetta's) main competition was a guy whose figures looked like they were nothing more than posed corpses.

Boris's figures are more pbotographically realistic, but Frazetta, who was inspired by the likes of J. Allen St. John, and Al Williamson, created more dream like pictures that us little boys went nuts over following in the footsteps of Roy Krenkel.

The spinner racks of paperback fantasy books were my art museum when I was a kid.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2017, 08:45 PM
Enthusiast
Texas

Hails from United States
Wink Re: Dragon Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWelch
Frazetta HATED Boris....he never mentioned him by name but said once that his, (Frazetta's) main competition was a guy whose figures looked like they were nothing more than posed corpses.

Boris's figures are more pbotographically realistic, but Frazetta, who was inspired by the likes of J. Allen St. John, and Al Williamson, created more dream like pictures that us little boys went nuts over following in the footsteps of Roy Krenkel.

The spinner racks of paperback fantasy books were my art museum when I was a kid.
Heh, I like some of his stuff and some of Boris'. Guess who I stole this pose from?
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2017, 09:03 PM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

I dunno but I love that shield!!!!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2017, 12:04 AM
Enthusiast
Texas

Hails from United States

Thanks. I used a homemade embossing tool and a pattern from ancient Greece for the shield. But I stole the pose (and the cloak with a hole in it) from Boris V.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2017, 12:54 AM
WC! Guide
Missouri, I'm still in Colorado in my heart

Hails from United States

Bill I like it better when Micheal Whelan hides his mark in the painting, carved into a rock, on the spine of a leather bound book, the patch on a spacesuit, in a bit of jewelry or many other cool hidden ways. Always fun to find them!
I was looking at a cover of a book one time and I thought it was a Micheal Whelan cover, I looked and looked for his mark and couldn't find it. So I looked to see who the artist was and it was Dorian Vallejo. He is really good and he does some great dream images.

Dianna

C and C always welcome.
My DeviantArt Gallery http://dianna-art.deviantart.com/gallery/
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2017, 09:19 AM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

Here's an old (1964) collection in paperback of some illustrated Tales From The Crypt stories with a Frazetta cover in which he "hid" (in plain sight) his signature in the grave stone.

A lot of work I did in advertising I was told up front NOT to sign it because they were selling the subject matter.....not ME!!! In some cases I would sign it but they would just airbrush it out. The money was great so I shrugged and just went on with my business.

More recently, I put it in the deal memos and contracts that part of the negotiation is that I am able to sign the work and have it displayed (in a small way) in the finished printed piece.
Attached Images