WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Animal and Wildlife Subjects
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2017, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

My First Watercolor

I started playing around with watercolors about a month ago. I was working with pastels, but I started having such problems with the dust, I needed to find an alternative. There are quite a few watercolor artists on here that really inspire me!

Have a question, I am having a hard time getting straight lines (like around the eyes, mouth) - the paint always seems to clump in spots and, for me, almost impossible to get a smooth finish. If I add too much water, I can't seem to get it dark enough, too little water - clumping. For this painting, I actually used a toothpick

C&C would be most welcome
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2017, 11:24 PM
Standerton

Hails from South Africa
Re: My First Watercolor

Lovely CaliAnn. It sounds as if you need to dry brush more for those details. Use a very fine brush and use your wc with just enough water to make it fluid.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2017, 02:59 AM
Germany

Hails from Germany

CaliAnn. You certainly have a talent for watercolour so keep going. There are some lovely transitions of colour. I would use a rigger brush (the finest 00) and make sure your watercolour is the consistency of liquid cream. Did you do some masking for this painting?

My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2017, 03:41 AM
WC! Guide
Edinburgh

Hails from United Kingdom

This is lovely, I would never have guessed it was a first watercolour. I love the soft palette and the way the eyes stand out.

If your paint is clumping it suggests you are using it too dry - add the water a small amount at a time until you get the consistency you're happy with (as said above). I hope you continue to use watercolour
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2017, 06:23 AM
WC! Guide
Germany

Hails from Germany

Looks great.. can't say much about difficulty level, but it looks to me as negative space would take a lot of effort in watercolors...
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2017, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you all for your kind comments.

chammi: No, didn't use masking fluid - I did try it a few times a couple of weeks ago and made an awful mess. Hubby said he's never heard me swear like a sailor before (we've been married 18 years) - that's how bad my experience with it was LOL!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2017, 11:59 AM
Germany

Hails from Germany

Cali-Ann, I also dislike using masking fluid. New experience for your hubby.

My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2017, 02:23 PM

Hails from Canada

I love it!
Beautiful job on the hair!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2017, 02:42 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

I only wish my first wc was half this nice! I quit using pastels full time for that very reason: Dust! Plus a good pastelist friend developed a lung disease from the silicone. As for the wc, if fresh paint is not squeezed out to use with each painting, you can get clumpy parts, due to its drying properties. Each time you mist water over old paint to soften it up to use, it changes the pigment ratio. I never use masking fluid and always use a rigger or script liner. What color were you making the mouth/eyes with?
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2017, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you Sandkey

Thanks Kay - I used W&N Vandyke brown - I also tried student grade Grumbacher paynes gray, but they both clumped, so it must be something I am doing wrong. I need a lot more practice and experience - but get awfully impatient!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2017, 01:39 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

It is best to forego the tube neutrals such as Vandyke brown, Payne's, umber, etc., as these are heavy in minerals and are not transparent. For a nice dark the two combos that perform the best are ultramarine blue + quinacridone burnt orange (replaces the heavier burnt sienna earth color) for a warm dark, then for a cool dark use alizarin crimson + thalo green. The latter two are equally transparent and produce the best IMO. Student grades will always have more filler.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2017, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Kay! I will try that next time I can buy some more paint - don't have those colors yet - own about 15 and most of them of student grade