WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2017, 04:18 PM
Gloucester

Square or rectangle?

Hi all,
This is a very rudimentary value sketch of a painting I'm just getting started on. A friend asked for "a pair of jellyfish", and I always panic when a friend asks me to make something for them. Suddenly I can't get anything right.

This will be an acrylic underpainting with oil glazes. I had planned on doing this on a square canvas (I don't know why, just got the idea in my head), but I can't decide if the more traditional proportions work better?

Also, would the two subjects compete less if I dulled the distant (upper right) jelly?

Those are my main questions but if there are other comments I am all ears. Composition has been my weakest point ever since I learned how to overthink.
Thank you all - I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts.
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-15-2017, 07:35 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Re: Square or rectangle?

the second composition is better, not due to square or rectangle, but due to breathe space around the subjects. if you can fit the subject into the space without cutting off bits of their heads, they'd work in either format.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2017, 07:27 PM
WC! Guide
Illinois

Hails from United States

Hi, Ginger.

I personally like the square format for a jellyfish. I admit little expertise at composition, but I do like the appearance of the square version you have on the right.

It actually reminds me of the octopus, pink against a turquoise background, that a plein air artist was painting at a local art fair, and it was on a 10-inch by 10-inch canvas. Cute thing. By which I mean the octopus! It was done in oil paints, and with opaque application of the paint, which would be different than what you are doing. But I still (just my opinion, though) think that the 10-inch by 10-inch size, and/or a square format, might also work for you.

Also a FYI or "heads up" or whatever: I have also posted a reply to your message in the New User forum, so be sure to take a look at that when you get a chance.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-23-2017, 10:09 PM
western PA

Hails from United States

Not bad. However, You might consider allowing more space between your subject matter and the edges of the painting.
As far as proportions: Most standard rectangles are only 1 to 1.3. If you spread the jelly fish slightly and use that proportion, you will find it easier to find a frame to fit. I'll be waiting to see the finished painting.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-24-2017, 11:35 AM
Gloucester

Thanks for the words of advice! Just to be safe, I've decided to do both lol. Right now I've just got a few layers of glaze down for my dark ocean background but once I get anything worthwhile I'll share some pics. Thanks again!