WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Abstract and Contemporary Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2017, 05:01 PM
Cali

Literally Struggling WIP

Acrylic, unstretched primed canvas 5.5' x 9.5' (168cm x 290cm)

Not the title, just descriptive of the process. This is the biggest thing I've ever tried to work on and it definitely has challenges related not just to manipulating the surface (good grief ), but also with scaling mark-making techniques.

Anyway........here it is, early on and now, at about 60% complete. There is a lot of correcting and rearranging to do, but hoping for some C&C to guide the process. I work on the floor, I work on the wall (sewed rod pockets into top and bottom), I work sliding it across my table... and the hardest thing is to get decent photos. Thanks for viewing, it is a trippy journey, for sure.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2017, 09:38 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States
Re: Literally Struggling WIP

I'm drooling over it so far! It is huge!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2017, 12:51 PM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica

That is a huge canvas to fill!! Good for you!

A couple of ideas to ponder on.

At first glance, it struck me that there are a LOT of circles. I think the dark (black?) is a bit too full on and there is a lot of blue. Perhaps when you 'do your thing' with rope it will push the darks and the blue circles back, making the painting easier on the eye, more restful and harmonious.

What I really think works well is how the left-hand bottom quadrant (background) is a pale muted colour, but as your eye moves along the painting the colour changes to orange and then from orange to a more intense orange/red. I think that it is quite subtle at the moment, but it might work if you decided to amp it up a bit to be more noticeable.

I love how you have red paint dripping down from the dark circles.

“Good Art is not what it looks like, but what it does to us" Roy Adzak
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2017, 01:52 AM
Cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreativeK
I'm drooling over it so far! It is huge!

Thanks Kay, it is definitely a challenge. My dogs are way too interested in helping.....
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2017, 02:12 AM
Cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Black
That is a huge canvas to fill!! Good for you!

A couple of ideas to ponder on.

At first glance, it struck me that there are a LOT of circles. I think the dark (black?) is a bit too full on and there is a lot of blue. Perhaps when you 'do your thing' with rope it will push the darks and the blue circles back, making the painting easier on the eye, more restful and harmonious.

What I really think works well is how the left-hand bottom quadrant (background) is a pale muted colour, but as your eye moves along the painting the colour changes to orange and then from orange to a more intense orange/red. I think that it is quite subtle at the moment, but it might work if you decided to amp it up a bit to be more noticeable.

I love how you have red paint dripping down from the dark circles.

Thanks so much Katie. I agree completely with your suggestions and think they speak to the difficulties in scaling this up. For me, this is a huge (metaphorical and literal) experiment. Like many experiments, some things don't work as envisioned. The circles are too many and the lines are too thick. It seems right when up close, but overwhelms from a distance. They will be whittled down. I like the ochre to orange/red ombre too and will try to emphasize it a bit more. I'll be going for a similar blend with the green to blue/teal areas, but need to find a final color that will pop a little more.

Starting to think it is more 50% completed than 60%............but, it is definitely an interesting process.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2017, 06:43 PM
Immortalized
indy

Hails from United States

Give some thought to perhaps breaking up some of the circles by painting them out and / or leaving portions. Simplify your color palette if you can. I have found that when there's a lot of shapes AND a lot of colors, things can get chaotic-looking. Also see if there's a way to get the shapes to have different planes, to my eyes, they all seem to reside on the surface level so some might look better in the background. I think it's a great start, just needs a bit more work and some careful decisions. Don't let the size mess with you, it's just a painting only bigger.

Keith J. Hampton's Website
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2017, 10:14 PM
Cali

Thanks Keith, I appreciate additional eyes on and enjoy your work.
I've attached a more recent pic. Now perhaps it is 65% finished.....maybe. Because of lighting issues, the right side seems way too dark. It actually is too dark (I'll lighten it in places), but not as much as it seems.

I like working this size a lot, but do see differences in the visual impression of marks relative to scale, so am rethinking optimal rope diameters while flailing away. Much of this is painted with small diameter cotton rope. Dimension is being added a little at a time, as is movement. It will come around, sooner or later.

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2017, 12:53 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

i like subtle contemplation pieces (vs strong visual grabs for my attention) so i think this is Much improved, including the lighting, it's varied, gently and that's good. Don't let me discourage your voice tho, if you need to yell you go right ahead, i have earplugs.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek

Last edited by La_ : 11-13-2017 at 01:00 AM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2017, 03:14 PM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica

This is looking more like your work..I agree though that you still have a way to go..keep at it!

I love WIPS, watching the process is such fun

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2017, 03:35 AM
Cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by La_
i like subtle contemplation pieces (vs strong visual grabs for my attention) so i think this is Much improved, including the lighting, it's varied, gently and that's good. Don't let me discourage your voice tho, if you need to yell you go right ahead, i have earplugs.

la
I spend a lot of time in contemplative activities. Art provides an outlet for the exuberant part of my soul. That said, this one got too noisy. I’ll be posting progress pic later this weekend. You won’t need the earplugs, promise.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2017, 03:47 AM
Cali

Quote:
This is looking more like your work..I agree though that you still have a way to go..keep at it!

I love WIPS, watching the process is such fun

Thanks Katie, This has been such an interesting experiment. I love it. I’ll have a new pic by Sunday night. Then a decision will need to be made on the question “to string or not to string? Or maybe a mix and match. Right now I know nothing, except that there is much to do.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-20-2017, 12:52 AM
Cali

OK...........below is the latest progress on The Big One. I'll figure out a title much later when it is closer to being finished.
I worked at blending colors, blurring and obliterating some circles to add a little more dimension. Values are bland because of that, but will perk up as I add new layers.
I'm ready to take it off the wall and put it back on the floor again. I have an idea of where I want to the use the rope and string and we'll see how it works out. Still not committing to this being more than 50% finished. CnC on the progress is always welcomed.

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-20-2017, 01:52 PM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica

I like where your heading, and I like that it appears more vibrant than the last post which looked a bit dull to me (as in not vibrant)

Looking forward to seeing the next stage.

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2017, 12:15 AM
Cali

Quote:
I like where your heading, and I like that it appears more vibrant than the last post which looked a bit dull to me (as in not vibrant)

Looking forward to seeing the next stage.
Thanks Katie. The colors are a bit more lively and I’m going to try to keep it that way. I started flailing on it this afternoon. So far, so good.
This one is going to keep me busy for a while.