WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Painting from the Masters
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2017, 10:23 PM

Vermeer copy

I sincerely would like critiques as well as comments on this copy of Vermeer's "Young Woman with a Pitcher". I will be the first to admit that it is far from perfect, as I did not discover the grid method of transferring a drawing until after I began the work, and any other method will invariably cause you to be off a mm here, a mm there and hence it will be difficult, if not impossible, to get an exact likeness.

You may note that I changed the cloth hanging on the chair—I thought Vermeer’s looked a bit pasty and hastily done (if it’s not blasphemy to criticize a Master!)—I suspect it was painted by an apprentice and was never completed for whatever reason, so I hope I improved upon it. Also I re-sized the jewelry box on the table for the sake of the composition on my canvas.

The values of the window, the wall below the window and the shadow on the table are darker in my painting, as I painted them outdoors from a print which was darker.

All in all, considering it represents 3 “firsts” – my first oil painting after a hiatus of about 35 years 2) my first painting involving portraiture 3) my first attempt to use the “Flemish” method of the Masters, I am satisfied with it.

Please note that due to a lack of a top flight camera and my unprofessional photography there is a slight distortion in the width of her dress, and some of the brownish tint on the wall in the background did not show up, plus the skin tone shows up a bit too yellow.
Thanks,
ML Kuskin
Attached Images

Last edited by stapeliad : 11-05-2017 at 07:13 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2017, 10:55 AM
In my art!

Re: Vermeer copy

The jug and tray are very well done as is the table cloth. And I agree about the yellow-ish face. It looks unfinished. Not sure if you wanted comments on this but overall, quite an accomplishment!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2017, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

Do you mind if I consider this an exercise?. The only way to actually copy Vermeer is to actually paint a photography, if you need to use a projector, or just transfer a perfect drawing by tracing, go ahead and do it. If you rely in loose painting, it will look like the one you just painted.

Now, I have seen several Vermeers, and this is one of those I believe was not painted by his hand.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2017, 05:44 PM

Yes, technically you are correct. It was in fact an exercise in painting using the Flemish method of umber layer, grisaille, glazing etc. Even though I realized half way through that it would not be a true replica, I continued for the learning experience.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2017, 09:46 AM
In my art!

ttest, Have you seen "Tim's Vermeer"? It's a documentary that is fascinating produced by Penn and Teller. Saw it several years ago. I think you'll enjoy it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim%27s_Vermeer
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2017, 10:04 AM

Yes, I did see it. It was very interesting and entertaining, but not believable. Penn and Teller, after all are noted as being masters of deception. The whole thing was a huge hoax, in my opinion. It is impossible without learning about what mediums to use, how to mix colors, how to glaze, etc to have created a copy of a Vermeer, and all of that was missing from the movie featuring Tim, who painstakingly described all of his preparations for the project. After all, he was, by his own admission, a complete novice in painting, who suddenly is able to handle a brush like a Master (which one of the professional artists interviewed said it "only"took him 40 years to master! Not to mention that anyone familiar with Vermeer and other renaissance Masters knows that they did not paint directly as Tim did--you can not produce the kinds of shadows and depth of color, textures,etc they created by direct "number" painting ala Tim's variety. I may be alone in my analysis, but you definitely struck a nerve in mentioning the movie!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2017, 12:22 PM
In my art!

You can post another photo within this thread in an update! Will look forward to it! Thanks very much.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2017, 03:44 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttest47
I may be alone in my analysis
You certainly are not! Vermeer may have used a camera obscura as an aid, but I'm pretty sure he didn't paint his paintings the way Tim did in the movie. Why would you if you can really paint?

And vermeer COULD paint! He couldn't have painted his View on Delft with Tim's method, because the light in that painting is very unstable. One minute later and the whole scene would look dramatically different (as every Dutch person knows). Vermeer must have been a great observer and have a great visual memory.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2017, 07:16 AM

Right on! Good points.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2017, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttest47
Right on! Good points.
Thanks, I thought so, too!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2017, 09:30 AM
Enthusiast

To me Tim's Vermeer shows that it is possible for Tim to use that methodology to paint the painting he did. This does not in any way prove that Vermeer used the same methodology for his paintings. Tim and David Hockney not withstanding there are plenty of artists who did, and do accomplish such paintings without camera obscura etc.

As for your painting, it looks to me like teh upper two thirds could use another pass before it looks truly "finished." Compare the tray and table with the head, torso and right hand.

Over all it is quite a bit better than I could do. It also, in the photograph at least, has quite a look of being a watercolour, which I quite like.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2017, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member

I watched Tims Vermeer on DVD and then threw it in the bin. The result left me cold and totally unattached to Vermeer. I doubt very much anything can be learnt from this technique.