WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2017, 09:14 PM
Lexington Kentucky

Hails from United States
Signing Giclee Prints

I have some prints I need to sign and I was wondering if its ok to sign the back of the canvas print instead of the front. I tried to sign the front but it has a coating on it and the signature just wiped away with water....
I don't know the proper way to sign these limited edition prints...
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2017, 11:01 PM
Enthusiast

Re: Signing Giclee Prints

How are they limited editions?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2017, 09:12 AM
Lexington Kentucky

Hails from United States

I am limiting the amount of prints made to 25...
So after that there will be no more printed...
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2017, 01:33 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbeam
I am limiting the amount of prints made to 25...
So after that there will be no more printed...
Limited editions gain their value because the artist typically destroys the original plates, stone or block from which the prints are made. Early editions are more valuable than later since the quality of the print is better. As more runs are made the plate, block or stone wears down. In many instances the quantity is determined by the durability of the original's surface. In your instance the twenty five is an arbitrary choice. Even if you destroy the original, you could easily run 1000 or 10000+ inkjet prints from an electronic file should the market bare it. Sorry, but a limited edition giclee is a misnomer since it is not limited at all.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2017, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

I sign mine on the back, and they are not limited editions. Most people buying art are not investors and they do not even know what a limited edition is. They like something signed by the artist because it is a personal connection.

I also put on mine (and I actually do it) that I personally match the colors of the print to my original painting.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2017, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbymdp
Sorry, but a limited edition giclee is a misnomer since it is not limited at all.

It is if the artist has made the decision to limit them.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I have some prints I need to sign and I was wondering if its ok to sign the back of the canvas print instead of the front. I tried to sign the front but it has a coating on it and the signature just wiped away with water....
---------------------------
where were you putting the edition number? 1/25...4/25...etc. Typically that goes on the same line as the signature.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Roth
It is if the artist has made the decision to limit them.
-----------------------
It may be their decision but imo it comes across as a marketing gimmick with giclees, and photography. An artist makes 25 limited 8x10 prints on arche's paper, then makes 25 limited 8x10 prints on acrhes' premium paper, then 25 limited 8x10 prints on acrche's ultra paper, them 25 limited....

This is common practice in photograph. All you have to do is sell one set with borders, one without, different paper, different size, OR just make 25 numbered copies and 10,000 identical unsigned copies.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2017, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

People who do that are unethical. There are tons of unethical people out there. Don't be one of them. That's all we can do about that. It does not mean we cannot decide to make only 25 prints of our painting and sell them as a limited edition when we never intend to make any further prints. There is nothing unethical about that.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Roth
People who do that are unethical. There are tons of unethical people out there. Don't be one of them. That's all we can do about that. .
Yes, true.
The words "Limited Edition" by itself means NOTHING. Limited to what? Limited to the number you can sell? Limited to the amount of printing paper available on the planet?

A numbered limited edition still leaves room for "artists proofS, printers proofS, hors commerce proofS, second edition printsS the same print but unsigned, same print but signed with your brush name, made on a different printer, prints in different sizes and papers.

None of the above is illegal, and not necessarily unethical since it is common practice.

So unless your limited edition giclees are made with some exotic process or rare paper, or gold ink, or something that is distinctive and quite different than your normal inkjet printer copies - then why are you making them limited? Because your lazy and only feel like pressing the PRINT button 25 times? Your work suxs and you don't want to litter the planet with more copies? What?

It's as you say, up to the artist to do whatever he wants. But I think a buyer with any sophistication would ask himself, why is this novice, unknown artist, limiting the number of prints from his injet printer? He can't afford paper? Or does he think he can charge more if he pencils a number after his name?

It's up to the artist. But if you are an unknown artist, I would think the LAST thing you would want to do is to limit the number of prints. What will make an unknown artist known, what will make his work MORE valuable, is when MORE people see it, buy it, know about it. Limiting the work limits the amount of work to be seen.

Last edited by theBongolian : 11-04-2017 at 03:52 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2017, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

Personally, I do not limit my prints. Why should I? The more I sell, the happier I am.

But I understand why people do. It's true that saying it's a limited edition makes some customers think the thing is more valuable. Like that mint that's always advertising on TV. Or Hummel statues or whatever. I also know people who make things (not art) who do limited editions because they don't want to make it anymore when it's sold out. They want to make something else. I've thought of doing this myself with my non-art stuff because it's boring to make the same thing over and over. But yeah, making a print is not exactly the same thing.

The other thing is that if you have a lot of works, you might want to just take some of them down off your site. I have done that with many things because my style has changed and as time goes by, I look at something I did a couple years ago and think it looks like crap. Maybe some people plan it so that they make only X number of prints and after that, they take it off their site. That would make sense to me.

I don't see it as evil. I don't see it as muddying any waters because the waters are pure mud anyhow.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2017, 04:21 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:

You should be able to find some kind of pen or paint that will stick to the surface so you can number them on the front. Maybe ask the people who make the canvas what they recommend. If not, numbering on the back is certainly acceptable in my book. Just make sure you don't use something that will bleed through to the front or sign it where that can't happen.