WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Fiber Arts
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2017, 12:42 AM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States
Stitch in Time November 2017

Wow, here it is November. The holidays are coming before we know it. Hope everyone is doing well and has gift ideas well started. (Unlike me. )

The weather has been mostly nice fall weather. Not too much rain and not too terribly cold. That's supposed to change this week. We have wet in the forecast starting with rain and ending with snow. I've got the wood stove going to not only keep warm but to drive out the dampness. My knee has really been complaining this year.

Working on a doll head. It is probably headed for the bin and I'll try again.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2017, 11:36 AM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada
Re: Stitch in Time November 2017

Oh geez I didn't see this one!
Someone will have to fix it!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2017, 11:38 AM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

Halloween is over!
Winter is here!

We got rid of most of the candy. We had 14-16 kids but I gave out big handfuls. In the last 18 months I have lost 20 lbs and I am determined to lose the rest. Candy in the house doesn't help.

Winter arrived with a vengeance late Halloween night which is probably why the streets were bare of kids by 8pm - wind rain, sleet is not conducive to wandering - you never see skanky costumes on kids here - everything has to fit over a snow suit.

We now have snow on the ground over a layer of ice. It was -13c with a windchill of -20c this morning when I walked the dog. Our snow removal contract starts on the 15th but I paid him an extra month to start today.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2017, 05:50 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, it's ok. We only had 9 kids drop by for candy. I bought a small bag and it's a candy DH likes and I can't eat due to dairy intolerance. Yes, around here the costumes have to be bought a size bigger so the kids can wear a snowsuit underneath if needed. Our snow waited a couple of days till after Halloween.

I am having a terrible time getting stuff done. I thought I was doing well on the night shift with DH. I'm actually not. I arranged my phone call with mom to be a bit earlier and have from about 8pm till 7am free to do my own thing. Have I actually done anything? A little, but not much. I seem to spend a lot of time staring at the walls and "thinking". It's not productive thinking. I feel terrible, but I don't want to let DH know because he's so much less stressed being on night shift. He gets to bid on a new shift in about 3 or 4 weeks and starting in January. I don't want to complain because I want him to do what's best for him. However, I'm not near as productive with my art as I had planned.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2017, 09:59 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

wow, Lena, sounds like serious winter has set in!

Eva, the doll outfits, as usual, as so sweet!

uh oh, Debby, what is wrong with the doll head?

Well, I have been making tails (as in evening wear) for the Goats to wear to our daughter's wedding next week. How do I get myself into this? The jackets for the larger goats are good. But there are now 3 smaller ones, and I had to go off memory and measurements. I fear they may be pretty tight. Fortunately, the critters will not complain BUT....

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2017, 01:12 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

Debbie - changes in schedule like that are hard if you don't have a rigid schedule like your husband.
I have found in the past that if I set a schedule and journal first, it helps with the "thinking about" Yes I also fall into the trap of solving the worlds problems or at least every problem I have ever had and inventing possible real ones. I have also created and stitched whole works of art in my head.

It is still cold, it is still snowing. Bah Humbug.
Mark came and did the snow removal. So at least that is done, but the weather is in my joints and my asthma is acting up.

My oldest daughter got a new position at her company and is moving to Yellowknife in the NorthWest Territories. So next summer I get to see a new part of Canada. She has to be there on the job at the beginning of January. The company is paying for the moving. But still it is a nasty time to move.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2017, 07:05 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Jen, the goats formal wear is just adorable! As to the doll head, well, without the needle felting I'm working with the needle sculpting. I'm sort of getting there, but it's not exactly what I was after. As DH pointed out, I have a very square shaped head right now, when I am really looking for a more triangular head. The nose isn't right and I've not yet tackled the eyes. And, I've not been terribly motivated to work on it either.

Lena, I actually do journal every day when I get up. It's part of my morning routine. I get a mug of tea and sit down and journal. DH gives me some quiet time so he's not playing podcasts or videos, he's painting or reading. I'm sorry to hear the weather is affecting you so badly. Is there any way to keep warmer in the house so your joints don't ache as much? I know when I get the wood stove going, it helps my joints tremendously. Wishing your daughter the best on moving without any problems.

Still no progress on the doll. But, I sold a unicorn. I have that boxed up and ready to ship Monday. Now, I need to sew up another one. That will keep me busy for a bit.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2017, 12:47 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

Hello there ladies! It is finally November and we are finally out of the 90's and having some beautiful low 80's during the day and the 50's and 60's at night. I open some windows in the eveing and it feels good to have the cool breeze come in. I know...I know.... you gals would roast in my kind of weather but I love it.

Pat is sick again or I should say still. He is having several health problems and I think most are caused by stress. Work is really giving him fits. The crews are all being moved around because the one night crew can't get along. So everyone has to suffer. Also the hospital is for sale and probably have new owners by the first of the year. It makes all the employees reapply for their jobs. Dumb but that is what they do. Pat went through it once before in Sacramento when he worked there. I wish he could find something else around here to do but there really isn't any thing else and seeing he is in his mid 50's finding any type of new job even with a hospital will be hard. He might apply for disability that the doctor wants him too but then there is the insurance and child support to pay and that is a big problem. He only has Alyssa left and she turned 16 last week and is a junior in high school so that makes two more years, at least, that he has to cover.

Well I guess I had better to see if I can finish up a dress. I got it pressed last night so that I could finish it and then never got to it.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2017, 07:54 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Eva, good to "see" you. Sounds like you, at least, are having nice weather. You are right, I'd roast if I lived there. However, my knee would probably love it. Sorry to hear Pat is still having such health problems. New employment gets tough once you reach his age. Both DH and I are in that category. That's why I'm working on this toy business. Hope to see the new dress soon.

DH and I talked it over. He's not doing well on the night shift either. So, in a couple of months, he'll be switching back to days. Tho' if the one swing shift is available he's thinking about taking it. However, there are 4 people choosing ahead of him on the roster. I figured out that working nights is really depressing to me. That's probably why I haven't accomplished more. It sounded so good to have hours and hours available to work on my stuff. In reality, I've not got much energy to devote to it. I can manage for one or two nights, then nothing.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2017, 01:18 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Back from the wedding. Great fun. What a family reunion!

Goats in their party best. A huppa / trellis made of their skis. Fiber art ketubah or wedding contract. Wedding party in silk ties and suspenders. Our son in his hat per usual. Beautiful flowers. Glowing bride. Proud groom. Lots of good food.

Now back to reality, catching up on admin tasks and tucking in a little spinning from a fleece recently gotten at Lambtown.

Jen
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2017, 02:34 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

I love the goats! Very well done.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2017, 07:09 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Jen, congrats to the bride and groom. Looks like a very unique wedding. Glad you survived. Now, back to the fun stuff, the holidays are coming.

Hi Penny!

The orders are starting to trickle in. Just caught up with making the last unicorn to go out and today awoke to the sale of the pink dragon. Off to box her up and make her again.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2017, 05:40 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

Jen, when you said you were dressing goats for the wedding I assumed live critters and was amazed at the work you were going do to dress them! This looks much easier and the wedding looks delightful.

I have been hunkering down a lot, the bloody damp cold weather is really beginning to get to me. I have done lots of knitting but not much else.
Here is Luc's hat

Yes that is Rudolf and girlfriend doing what comes naturally.

Here is the shawl I made for my granddaughter (the one who graduated this spring and discovered lace)
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2017, 07:00 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, you do have fun with your knitting. Sometimes doing something you know how to do really well is required for relaxing. I've found that myself lately.

Sales have fallen off again. I'm all caught up on the critters. Going back to exploring doll making. Decided to try a different method of creating the contours of a face. Unfortunately, it's not going well. Back to the drawing board. There has got to be a way to create the look I want without killing my hands.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2017, 01:41 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

I got my cotton yarn from China on Friday and I made a swatch. At first I was not happy with how it knit up. But when I beat it up in hot soapy water it worked out nicely. It bloomed a bit and softened up. It works out to 9.5 stitches to the inch on 1.5 mm needles. I made the swatch out the contrast yarn since I have a lot of it. I also did one of the patterns so I could see how the multicolour part washed up.

I have no idea what this yarn is called since the band is in Chinese with only the contents in English. it has apparently 15% "Official resurgence" in it - which I am assuming is recycled cotton.