WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2017, 11:34 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States
Different Strokes: November 2017

WELCOME TO THE November DIFFERENT STROKES CHALLENGE

If you would like to host a Different Strokes, please see the Schedule thread here http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1302516

Please read carefully the guidelines below.

GUIDELINES:
On the first of each month a reference photo (or photos) will be posted in a thread entitled "Different Strokes".

All entries must be for this challenge and in acrylics - any type of acrylic.

Join in the discussion about the project - it's friendly and fun to learn how others are coping/struggling/thriving!!! But no visual images!

Help can be gained from asking but also from looking for resource materials elsewhere - the RIL e.g.

A 'reveal' date for all is 21st of the month - that gives us 3 weeks to make the work, plus an extra week for latecomers.

**PLEASE DO NOT UPLOAD WORK TO THE THREAD BEFORE THE 21ST OF THE MONTH.** Much more exciting and fun to see what 'masterpieces' appear! If work is uploaded early it will be moved to a safe place until 21st.

At the end of the month the thread /discussion will be closed and a new challenge will begin.

**Please note, the single 'reveal' date is chosen so that we do not influence each other with our individual interpretations ...... that's the whole point of it being called 'Different Strokes'!

By all means ask questions in the thread or initiate discussion about the challenge - just don't post images!!!

The challenge this month is .....
The Hudson River School Vastness in the studio, intimacy in the great outdoors.

Seemingly Random Factoids
The Hudson River School flourished in the United States between approximately 1820 and 1880. The earliest Hudson River School painters took the Hudson River Valley and Catskill Mountains for subject matter. Later painters moved West, from Niagara Falls to the American West.

The paintings depict an idealized American landscape, usually in great detail and sometimes in expansive size. For example, Bierstadt's "Among the Sierra Nevadas, California" is ten feet wide by six feet high.

Artistic influences include Claude Lorrain and JMW Turner. Philosophic influences include American Transcendentalists Thoreau and Emerson.

Painters like Thomas Cole and Asher Brown Durand would traipse about in the wilderness sketching trees and rocks as memory aids for their studio work. The intimacy outdoors comes from relating closely to rough terrain, slippery rocks in rivers, inclement weather and mosquitoes in warm weather. The level of detail in the sketches implies an intimate study of the subject.

Here's a sample by Asher Durand.

Images like this would find their way into paintings like this one, also by Asher Durand. Though the painting is not large, about five feet high, by Hudson River standards, it certainly depicts a vast and sublime landscape fading off in the infinite distance.

So as they say in the courtroom dramas, "Is There a Challenge Here?"

To quote the eminent American philosopher, Sarah Palin, "you betcha." In fact, you have some choices.

One way to participate is copy any painting by any Hudson River School painter - give the painter and title. The Wikipedia link at the end of this post has a list of painters. Among the most prominent are Cole, Durand, Church and Bierstadt.

Another way is to make a sketch, in acrylics (naturally) of any object that could later incorporate into a painting. To gain my everlasting admiration, also post a thumbnail design of the hypothetical bigger work. The thumbnail can be in graphite, crayon, sharpie or whatever. Indicate where your detailed object will go. It would be cool if you venture into the woods and make an acrylic sketch of a tree, but an empty champagne bottle, hairbrush, or whatever will do just as well.

A third way is make an original painting in the manner of the Hudson River guys. It doesn't have to be a landscape, though that would make sense. You can check the RIL (link at the end here) for suitable landscape references. Your painting should have drama - lots of contrast. Many Hudson River paintings have tall verticals one one or both edges framing a bright, hazy area in the distance. You could paint the kids' toys on the floor in this manner if you wish.

Here are a few more paintings for inspiration.

Asher Brown Durand, "Kindred Spirits"

Frederick Edwin Church, "Niagara Falls"

Albert Bierstadt, "Rocky Mountains"

Here is a link to a Wikipedia Article, with even more links in it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson_River_School

Here's a link to the Reference Image Library:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2017, 02:38 AM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada
Re: Different Strokes: November 2017

Wow, what a great theme, Cliff. I am going to have to roll up my sleeves.

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2017, 07:04 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

I love it when we learn something new!
I've heard of them, of course and they do bear a resemblance to many of the massive landscapes seen over here, but I've not studied them - so I hope to do even a little of that!
Thanks Cliff - good idea ......... and I do appreciate the ref. to that great American philosopher!!!!!!!!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2017, 09:04 AM
A WC! Legend

fun! might need more than a month....
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2017, 10:20 AM
Enthusiast
Kent, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Well....agog! Lots to learn and heaps to do AND we need thermals for the original sketch outdoors!
A very absorbing challenge....er....thank you!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2017, 10:22 AM
Washington

Hails from United States

Wow & my favorite school .

Yeah this may take a year and where the heck do I find a 30 foot x 12 foot canvas.

Great challenge!!!!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2017, 10:28 AM
A WC! Legend

maybe just paint the wall?
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2017, 11:32 AM
Lord of the Arts

I'm in (I hope). Trying to sell house. Nearly all painting gear - and everything else - in storage. Beatles - "He's a real nowhere man..." Hopefully somewhere by 30 Nov.

BTW, alto Church is considered a Hudson River painter, his ptg of Niagara Falls is really not in the Hudson River genre. Besides, it's an image from the Canadian side.

Last edited by old_hobbyist : 11-01-2017 at 12:18 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2017, 11:41 AM
A WC! Legend
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

Love the Hudson River paintings but my first reaction was... oh my god! lol

Um, yeah, a little cold and dreary for outdoor sketching. Maybe I could do option number three and delve into my reference pile. Giving the Manitoba landscape that kind of drama could be a challenge in itself.

"Though the painting is not large, about five feet high.."

mkmcreations.com
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2017, 11:45 AM
WC! Guide
Missouri, I'm still in Colorado in my heart

Hails from United States

I love this style, but I'm not great on landscapes.
The painting Asher Brown Durand, "Kindred Spirits" is actually not large at all, I saw it at the Crystal Bridges Museum. The man with the sketch book is Thomas Cole, my favorite of this school. Although I like his "The Course of Empire" paintings the best.
Would something in that style be OK?

Dianna

C and C always welcome.
My DeviantArt Gallery http://dianna-art.deviantart.com/gallery/
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2017, 02:03 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

So, in essence, rocks, trees, water, mountains, distance, contrast ..... how hard can that be?

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2017, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Mid-Atlantic

Hails from United States

We will see what develops...........
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2017, 03:13 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

JT, it can't "develop." Not a photo forum.

Maureen, my point exactly. How hard can it be.

Dianna, anything ITMO Cole would be terrific.

Michelle, Manitoba may not be the heart of the Andes, but surely there are scenes with water and trees, maybe the occasional rock.

Jim, if you can find the wherewithal to paint some lady's rear end, this shouldn't be too hard. I agree that "Niagara Falls" doesn't fit into the stage set design pattern with a coulisse on the left, coulisse on the right, proscenium arch above. At the same time I believe it meets the intent of depicting the sublime nature of the subject matter.

Mary,

Carl, go for the wall. I'll tell your SO it's OK.

Margaretta, I'm always aiming to please.

Maureen, you could probably slip in a Constable or early JMW Turner and we would never know.

Colin, welcome aboard and have at it.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2017, 05:30 PM
Springfield Mo

Hails from United States

First time I read the challenge, I almost just gave up.
I think I see the challenge now after reviewing some of the works of the time. I will be giving this a try.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2017, 07:00 PM
Enthusiast
Kent, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

I haven't the facility to do a very big painting but it will be as big as the canvas and I'll attempt all the elements required. I said 'ATTEMPT'....why did I say that? I should have disappeared into a faraway landscape.....