WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Illustration
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2017, 05:10 AM

Question about markers (begginer)

Hello,

I would like to work with markers like Copic or Promarkers.
I would like to ask you where can I learn? In Youtbe, other site, or do you recommend any book?

I would also like to know which is the best paper to use with them?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2017, 12:37 PM

Re: Question about markers (begginer)

I'm pretty much a beginner myself. And opted for knockoff copics which after learning how to work properly turned out alright. I like using Bristol smooth paper Strathmore 200 and 300 series turned out alright. This I think the 300 is a good in-between for having a good enough paper to work with at a decent cost. The Vellum is okay as well but between the two, I'd definitely use smooth.
As for tutorials, I can't help you there? Personally I applied the same principles as painting and did value studies with Grey scale before working color in. The Bristol is great for blending. Color relationships still apply with markers.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2017, 07:28 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Brazil

There is a lot of way to use them and each way will be in a different tutorial. Markers are NOT treated as the main focus or tool on most high quality works that use them, that may be a reason why it is hard to find a "how to use copic markers"tutorials that show anything good.

This guy is a famous and very high quality concept artist that use them a lot to create atmosphere for his pen works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf0NtXWvQEI
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2017, 09:16 PM

https://imaginationinternationalinc....-color-theory/
I found this link pretty helpful.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2017, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member

For paper, I recommend Borden & Reiley's paper for pen and ink, bristol vellum, or Rendr sketchbook/paper. Basically you want super smooth and minimally absorbent paper.

As for tutorial, if you have experience with other media especially watercolor, I say just go straight ahead and start playing with the markers. Test out how colors mix on paper and how layering and glazing looks. Markers are super transparent, so there aren't a ton of techniques you can use. Once you figure out those basic characteristics you can just draw!