WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2017, 08:27 PM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica
What are you watching on Netflix?

I recently watched 'The Fall' and it was very good.

It's about a family man who also happens to be a cold serial killer in his spare time. It's filmed and set in Northern Ireland and Gillian Anderson plays the policewomen tasked with finding the murderer. I thought she was just amazing in this!

I'm now watching 'Bates Motel'. I wasn't sure I would like it but I'm loving it.

What would you recommend watching on Netflix?

“Good Art is not what it looks like, but what it does to us" Roy Adzak
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2017, 09:02 PM
Minnesota, USA

Hails from United States
Re: What are you watching on Netflix?

Just watched "Stranger Things" tonight. The story, the music/sounds, the sets and the acting are superb. Best of all are the young actors - they've got some amazing talent!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2017, 11:18 PM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

I am not too sure what Netflix even is. :-)
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2017, 11:23 PM
A WC! Legend

I'm into propaganda these days, so I only watch regular UK TV channels.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2017, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

The Trailer
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MOe2ipAFyFE

A Review
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/21/m...n-on-loss.html

O.O Babbling
“Heart of a Dog” by Laurie Anderson is fantastic. But it’s very arty so...watch out...for those of you artist types that don’t like things too arty. You know who you are!

Anyway, I saw it not too long ago on Netflix and loved it. I hate to use a cliche like it “was a gem” of a movie, but that’s how it felt. I never heard of it, just stumbled upon it, and it was different from most of the usual movies I see on there. It did feel a little sparkly. Also, about 10 days ago, I went to a museum that had two amazing VR exhibits, by Anderson, and a room filled with huge black and drawings of her dog, Lolabelle...as she imagined her in the bardo. So she’s fresh on my mind.

And since it’s about loss (and now I just had a big one, too), I think it would really hit the spot, again.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2017, 10:29 AM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianvds
I am not too sure what Netflix even is. :-)

It's a subscription service for movies and television shows via streaming and/or DVD. They used to have a hundred thousand titles, old and new. Now they've chucked a lot of the old stuff and in my view are becoming next to useless. We have far more titles on our "save" list (translation-- they'll never have it even if they used to) than in our queue. Even in the queue, a lot of stuff is "very long wait." They want to be the next HBO.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2017, 03:32 PM
A Local Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

'The Killing'

I loved it, and practically grieved when it was over.

Based partly on a popular Danish TV series, "The Killing" is a moody, character-driven detective procedural that weaves a murder mystery through a full season or more. The stories unfold through the eyes of Sarah Linden, a detective with the Seattle Police Department and who, at first, must mentor Detective Stephen Holder, a former narcotics cop. While their backgrounds produce investigative styles that clash -- she's by-the-book, he's freewheeling -- they manage to pull together for the case.

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.
-unknown
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2017, 03:51 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

The Blacklist (TV Series 2013– ) - IMDb
m.imdb.com/title/tt2741602/
Top Series Cast. Megan Boone. Elizabeth Keen. (96 episodes, 2013-2017) James Spader. Raymond 'Red' Reddington. (95 episodes, 2013-2017) Diego Klattenhoff. Donald Ressler. (95 episodes, 2013-2017) Harry Lennix. Harold Cooper. Hisham Tawfiq. Dembe Zuma. Amir Arison. Aram Mojtabai. Ryan Eggold. Tom Keen. Mozhan Marnò ...

Good guys/bad guys/fbi/mobsters 'n such - good twists and turns, actions, mystery 'n suspenses/surprises, etc.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2017, 04:17 PM
A Local Legend
Århus

Hails from Denmark

some of these suggestions look pretty interesting. We never watch tv. As in I watch olympic gymnastics once every four years, and my husband watches tour de france and tour de italia for a few days every summer. Besides that our tv collects dust. Kids never watch either, they watch everything on the computer.

But 3 months ago I read The Handmaids Tale, and after watching several short clips from the series on YouTube I convinced my husband to buy Netflix and HBO. So now in two months I have seen all of the Handmaids Tale (which I highly recommend) and I'm on season two of The Sopranos. My husband hasn't seen a thing. The kids have watched two movies. So we are paying for this but seeing very little.

I just don't have the time to watch tv. I even feel guilty when I do watch the little I see. I mean there are paintings to paint, nice dinners to make, reading stories to the kids... whatever. I just can't see putting a 2 hour hole in my day, except on the rare occasion.

http://www.artallison.com/
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2017, 04:31 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonart
'The Killing'

I loved it, and practically grieved when it was over.

The US version is good, but the original Danish series is better.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2017, 04:37 PM
A Local Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by musket
The US version is good, but the original Danish series is better.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.
-unknown
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2017, 05:18 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Hiya, Babs.

I haven't found a single exception to the rule that American remakes aren't as good as the originals.

Sometimes the difference is relatively small, as with The Killing. The American version is good and stands well on its own, but the Danish is better yet. Sometimes it's huge, as with House of Cards. The American version stinks mo matter what, but especially stinks compared to the British original.

Though we didn't get it from Netflix (we have an actual brick and mortar video rental store here, believe it or not... Netflix is getting more useless by the day since they decided to become the next HBO), we watched season one of the TV version of Lethal Weapon not long ago. And you know, it isn't bad. It's basically the same shtick but sufficiently different that you don't make constant comparisons to the movies.

Last edited by musket : 10-29-2017 at 05:28 PM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2017, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Just Outside Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Have you seen "Ozark"?
I thought it was very good.

Yes, I agree with whoever recommended "The Killing" ... It's also very good.

I'm assuming you saw "Breaking Bad".
Binge Watch Alert -- If you haven't seen it....you might get hooked and lose a lot of sleep in the process.
Some say "The Wire" compares favorably but I just couldn't get into it.

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2017, 08:06 PM
Sacramento, CA

Hails from United States

I'm more of a movie guy than a television guy. Netflix used to be almost all movies. I believe they had three or four times as many movies as they do now. Plus, they had a lot of old tv shows I liked. But Netflix decided to go into original programming, so they scaled back their movie collections and there's hardly anything worth watching anymore. NBC and Fox took all of their content over to Hulu. Amazon Prime and HBO Go took a lot of the first run movies leaving Netflix with very slim pickings.

I just wasn't using it for months sometimes and so I decided to suspend my account until they had something I wanted to see again. I'll renew for November and watch Stranger Things Season 2 and The Punisher, but I might have to suspend my account again if they don't have anything good for December.

I'll probably watch The Witch, The Lobster, The Handmaiden, and Hell or High Water on Amazon, plus John Wick 2 on HBO in the meantime.

Last edited by Ovid's Exile : 10-29-2017 at 08:11 PM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2017, 09:21 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Spot on about Netflix.

I strongly recommend the original BBC mini-series House of Cards. Ian Richardson is so deliciously evil he makes Kevin Spacey look like a plodding summer stock villain.

The original State of Play is also an excellent British political thriller mini-series. Bill Nighy is fantastic, as usual. Kelly MacDonald, later to become famous as Margaret in Boardwalk Empire, is also outstanding.

The Night Manager is another one, though it's more or less a spy story, based on a le Carre novel of the same name. Tom Hiddleston, Hugh Laurie, Tom Hollander, Olivia Coleman (wonderful) and Elizabeth Debicki are all terrific. The plot has holes you could drive a truck through, but it doesn't matter.

I hate to say it folks, but the Brits do this stuff better than anybody. That's why the Americans are always trying to copy them. They seem to have an endless supply of fabulous actors. In fact, they do just about everything better than anybody. Including American accents, at which the Aussies and South Africans are great too.

Last edited by musket : 10-29-2017 at 10:02 PM.