WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watermedia
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2017, 06:21 PM

Watercolor Pencils Usage

Watercolor pencils look interesting. One could work faster with them than with colored pencils, but I have read comments saying that those are ridiculous.

So I want to ask. Is it worth to try them? if yes, why?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2017, 11:46 PM
Standerton

Hails from South Africa
Re: Watercolor Pencils Usage

Wc pencils are soft and easy to work with and have water as the solvent. I find they are excellent when used with wc for detailing and finer shading. Well worth the investment.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2017, 08:32 AM

I use them alone and with regular watercolors, and sometimes even just as pencils. You can buy the higher quality ones, but you can also buy the cheap student grade ones. Both work and work the same, with the difference (to my eyes) being in saturation of color. There are also "pencils" that have no wooden sheath in watercolor varieties.

Derwent makes some very good ones - in fact several lines that work with water if desired.

Be aware that their Inktense is a bit different than most others. Inktense works like very saturated watercolor pencils until wetted; then when dry they are indelible, like colored India ink, so you can watercolor over them without creating "mud". This is an advantage for certain styles of work.

I use both Inktense and a cheap set of General w/c pencils. Both mix in a painting with other media pretty well.

There are now several very good lines of watercolor "crayons" out there too.

Any of these pencil or crayon formulations allow you the ease and precision of drawing or detailing that is much harder to master with a brush for most folks. That, to me at any rate, is their primary advantage.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2017, 10:32 AM

Thank you.

Do you know how good are the different lines of faber castell watercolor pencils?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seli1
Thank you.

Do you know how good are the different lines of faber castell watercolor pencils?
Haven't tried them.

In my local art store they always have a pad (and usually water brush handy) for you to try out these materials.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2017, 12:22 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

I like them for using alone or with another medium. You might try ordering a small set of them first to try them out. I've been happy with any of the Faber Castell products.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2017, 02:13 PM

Is it better to start with a set of 12 or 24 colors. I already have watercolor tubes.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2017, 04:50 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

I started w/ a 12 set then graduated on up.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2017, 10:04 AM

Then it would be a set of 12 watercolors and a set of 12 watercolor pencils.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2017, 10:59 AM

I found, watercolor pencils faber castell creative studio line, are those good or bad?
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2017, 11:54 AM

I think they’re considered student quality and so not as good as the Albrecht Durer but of course less expensive. They may be not just less intense but also may be harder to dissolve.

I don’t own them because I already own the AD, but people I know who own the caran dache supracolor often say that they’re the best compromise for a colored pencil that works well wet or dry.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2017, 12:31 PM

I also found albrecht durer, so better get those, right?
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2017, 01:42 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Watercolor Pencils are certainly NOT ridiculous and are a recognised art medium.
Ive been using both Albrecht Durer watecolor pencils, and Derwent Inktense pencils for years and love them both, especially the Inktense. Inktense has saved many a failed watercolor painting for me.

The Albrecht Durer are a high quality watercolor pencil with good color saturation, and you can lift some of the color off after it dries, if you want to. The Inktense have far stronger colors but of course once the color dries its there for good.
You can use both brands by themselves or with watercolors. I often use my Inktense for details and to add linear mark to watercolors.
If you are a beginner with watercolor pencils, I would recommend both brands, although the Albrecht Durer would be easier to use until you got more used to the stronger, permanent color of Inktense.

If you check out previous months Watermedia Challenges, you will see where Ive used Inktense many times in my challenge paintings. If you click on my Blog (in my signature line), Ive also used Inktense in many of my paintings there also.
I hope you find this helpful, and Im happy to answer any further questions.

Moderator; Animals & Wildlife Forum Floral & Botanical Forum Watermedia Forum
My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2017, 02:49 PM

Thank you very much.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2017, 09:41 PM

After some thinking, I have decided what to buy. A set of 36 colors of albrecht durer watercolor pencils, but those are too expensive for me. There is another set of another line of faber castell available, less expensive, a little less quality, same amount of colors.

What do you think I should buy? Save until I can buy the best ones, or buy the more affordable ones?

Because I want them a soon as possible because these are faster to use than colored pencils and will save my hands painful effort drawing.