WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2017, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Sweden
Do you use watercolor sticks?

Hello!

If you have the sticks, why do you use them? What are they good for?
Have you compared different brands, and which one do you prefer?

I have some oil sticks and found out that they are very different in different brands. They are big, so I thought that watercolor sticks would be easier to take away. But do you need them?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2017, 06:14 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Diego

Hails from United States
Re: Do you use watercolor sticks?

For highlights I have used them.

Don't really see much of a point anymore and rely on watercolor pencils. Generally I like having in browns and whites the following...

Supracolor II pencils
Neocolor crayons - water soluble crayons of some sort
Water color sticks - winsor newtons are like conte, nice sharp edges
Daniel smiths are like crayons, rather more dull

I also use water soluble graphite

No you don't need them, the big advantage is your drawing tool marks can be adjusted and removed via water, you don't need an eraser which can damage/pill up the paper. Also the marks since they come up while painting, they disappear. But the pigment is still there so it can make things a bit more muddy.

Last edited by briantmeyer : 10-26-2017 at 06:16 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2017, 09:16 PM
By the shores of Lake Michigan

Hails from United States

It depends on what you want to use them for. I have several DS watercolor sticks that I use in conjunction with my tube paints on my palette. I read about them and there were quite a few positive reviews, so I ordered pigments I didn't have. You can use them as 'crayons,' put a wet brush to them, or take pieces of them and use in a palette. I use them as I do dried tube paint on my palette. They moisten well and are easy to mix and paint with. I would order them again, plus it is a cheaper alternative to tubes--more usable pigment than tubes. I read they were pure pigment, plus whatever is added to make them sticks. I'm new to watercolor, so I'm still experimenting--I am not an authority!

~Carol
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2017, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

I have some DS sticks that I use like tubes to fill pans. (Thanks Jane for that suggestion!)Just cut off a piece and put into a pan. Otherwise just wet a brush and take color off the stick. I do not use them to draw. In DS there is not the range you find in tube paints but I really like them and they are great for a travel kit.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2017, 08:35 AM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldey
I have some DS sticks that I use like tubes to fill pans.

That trick works well for me too...

https://www.instagram.com/marekbad64
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2017, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Sweden

Thank you all for your answers!!!

I bought 1 winsor newton a green one and it is rather hard. Now I saw this
review and see that American J seems to be rather smooth. So I am a bit
curious about that one. DS seems to be good to but not as smooth as AJ.
But I guess it can be a bit messy.

I have some watercolor pencils so I was wondering about if I really need the
sticks when I have the pencils. But of course its another feeling with the sticks
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2017, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Sweden

I forgot to write down the link to the review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_LVJqFVAoU
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2017, 11:25 PM

Hails from United States

See my post below!

Last edited by w/c nana8 : 11-02-2017 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Reposted message
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2017, 11:44 PM

Hails from United States

AnnaLisa~
Yes, the pencils are different than the sticks. I also have watercolor pencils, and the way I use them is different than the sticks. As I said earlier, I use pieces of the sticks in my pans for washes and glazes. I think they would be messy using them directly on the paper. I have DS watercolor sticks, and have no problems with the way I use them.

I think the sticks are just a different form of watercolor pigment, just like the the pencils. I like using them both--they complement each other. I'm not sure how you are going to use either the sticks or pencils, but personally, I'm happy with both of them.
~Carol
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2017, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Sweden

Thank you w/c nana8 for you input.

I have watercolor pencils also, the caran d´ache that I have not used much yet but will be great for details.

It seems that the AJ sticks are softer than the others. But I don't understand why put a piece in the palette and use it as usual watercolor pans. But since I am a beginner thats probably why I don't know yet As you say they are a bit messy, so I guess that they are not for taking with me out then
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2017, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

You can read Jane's write up on DS watercolor sticks here:
https://janeblundellart.blogspot.com...iel-smith.html
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2017, 06:54 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Kolkata

Hails from India

Watercolor sticks and pencils will always have less pigment than pans or tubes (after it has dried). A lot of different binders and fillers are required for them to hold their shape and behave as they do. It makes no sense to fill them into pans.

My sticks and pencils remain largely unused, because real colors (pans/tubes) and brush always seem to be better. However, when I do use them, they work best when lightly dipped in water, or on wet paper. Good paper produces better results. I like squishing in the softies..... just like Picasso intended (albeit with oil). They don't last long if done that way, but I use them infrequently...
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2017, 04:15 AM

Hails from Germany

Indraneel, actually the DS-Sticks claim to be exactly the same as the tube paints, just in dried form:

Quote:
"The Watercolor Sticks are made with the same superior pigment that the DANIEL SMITH Watercolor paints are made with. The DANIEL SMITH Watercolor Sticks have no fillers or waxes – they are DANIEL SMITH Watercolor paint made with pure pigment and gum arabic, so the paint releases easily with a wet brush. The Watercolor Sticks are a “pan in your hand”, they are DANIEL SMITH Watercolor paint shaped into stick form, baked, wrapped in a label and ready to draw and paint!"
(from their website)

I have some of them and use them to fill pans, couldn't find a difference to the dried tube paints Of course that's not the case for all brands which produce watercolor sticks.

I got one of the WN Sticks as a sample from Jacksonsart, but it was so hard that I didn't bother with it - can't stand the undissolvable texture it leaves when I draw directly on the paper and it doesn't work well to paint with a brush from the stick.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2017, 10:08 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynea
Indraneel, actually the DS-Sticks claim to be exactly the same as the tube paints, just in dried form:

(from their website)

I have some of them and use them to fill pans, couldn't find a difference to the dried tube paints Of course that's not the case for all brands which produce watercolor sticks.

I got one of the WN Sticks as a sample from Jacksonsart, but it was so hard that I didn't bother with it - can't stand the undissolvable texture it leaves when I draw directly on the paper and it doesn't work well to paint with a brush from the stick.

The pigments might be the same, but the sticks must contain fillers, otherwise you would be able to use your pan blocks too the way you use the sticks.

Gum Arabic now, dries usually hard, you can't rub the pan blocks of paint on paper without scratch it and that is the reason you have to add in its mixture honey and glycerin. When you do so you make them softer but you can't again use them as sticks unless you use them on a wet paper.

So I can't see what sort of binder recipe is the one that they supposedly use, in order to make the paints in the pans and the paints in the sticks be able to be worked with the exact same way.

Last edited by MarialenaS : 11-10-2017 at 10:10 AM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2017, 11:47 AM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by indraneel
..... It makes no sense to fill them into pans.....

Actually, DS sticks in a pan work well for me, no difference in wetting that or a dried-up tube paint. Also, sticks seem to be less expensive

https://www.instagram.com/marekbad64