WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-25-2017, 08:53 PM
Minnesota, USA

Hails from United States
Painting Set-ups

How do you paint? What does your set-up look like?

Here's mine to get the ball rolling. It's pretty simple: Grey Matter brushes by Richeson (plus a few others), the mahogany palette that came with my Julian field easel, a table-top easel (1/8" birch plywood with a stop glued in front and weighted down with an old brick), an old piece of plywood to duct tape the watercolor board to, my paints (Richeson casein - ivory black, ultramarine blue, cerulean blue, rose red, venetian red, yellow ochre, naples yellow and titanium white), flannel rags, a palette knife, a cut-off-carrot-juice-bottle pail for rinsing water, old camp cup for dipping water, little spray bottle from the beauty supply store for spritzing the palette now and then, and a home-made view finder with notches cut at the mid-points. The lights you see are musician-stand lights that I use on my Julian to light the painting and the palette when I paint in dim light.

I've got other set-ups too. This is my sitting one. There's also my Julian easel set-up and a cigar-pochade box one. I have check-lists for those so I don't forget anything

Looking forward to seeing how you all paint!

- Mary
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2017, 10:17 AM
A Local Legend
Salt Lake City

Re: Painting Set-ups

I love to see other folks gear.

For the last few years, while I was painting in oils, I used either a Guerrilla Thumb Box or an Open Box M.

For Caseins and Acrylics I tend to work flat and turn the panel whatever direction works best at the moment. Richeson Caseins are high chroma; so, I tend to paint in earth tones, black, titanium white, Payne's gray, cad yellow, and ultramarine blue.

Open Box M 10x12 for outdoors oils
Name:  IMG_4058.JPG
Views: 79
Size:  169.4 KB

Casein and Acrylics - working small
Name:  IMG_9875.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  85.3 KB

Last edited by Trikist : 10-26-2017 at 10:20 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2017, 01:02 PM
Lord of the Arts
U.S.A.

Hails from United States

Never miss a show and tell. This is my studio workspace. I paint with gouache and transparent watercolor so I keep both handy. If I am out sketching, I generally have a sketchbook and whatever I grab to draw with.
Regards,
Greg.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2017, 08:53 AM

Hails from United States

I'm fortunate to have a spare bedroom with north facing windows for a studio. I'm something of an art supply junkie and work in many mediums so really need the space! Most of the time I work on the large table that my husband built and I paint standing. I either use a tabletop easel or work flat depending on the medium. The husband of a good friend built the paper cabinet for me in exchange for portraits of their dogs and I converted a nice mini file cabinet on casters into a taboret so I have just about everything I need.

It's fun to see how everyone works.

ABA