WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2017, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Charlotte's Last Hike - FINISHED

I am new to WC and just now came across this forum - Since this is a WIP depicting a Western scene ( Northern Rockies ), I thought I would post for C&C-

On the 5th of this month, I hiked into the Beartooth Mountain Wilderness Area (which is just outside Yellowstone Park ) to scatter some of Charlotte's (my wife) cremains - This is an area that we spent countless days of our lives enjoying the wonders of this most pristine wilderness - Thus, I thought it fitting that she should reside in an area that she so dearly loved -

This painting is a scene of my hike that day - There are 3 figures in the painting; all are the same person ( me ) as I make my way up the old road - The dark line of trees is an old burn from a wildfire that occurred several years ago - The dark formation coming down the mountain on the left, is an uplift created by an earthquake eons ago - It is, of course, Fall; the grasses and foliage are turning a golden color -

I have been working on this painting night and day since the 5th, and still have a long way to go - It has been 15 years since I have done any painting and am very rusty - I promised Charlotte that I would get back to it - Glad I have -

Painting: Oil on linen, 34 x 40; Palette: Yellow Cadmium Light, Rose Madder Genuine, Vermilion, Burnt Sienna, French Ultramarine Blue, Prussian Blue, Cremnitz White - This is painted on an oil ground of White Lead -

Thank you for viewing -
C & C always welcome
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2017, 02:50 PM
Enthusiast

Re: Charlotte's Last Hike - WIP

Welcome. I'm glad you got back to painting, too. This is a wonderful remembrance of and for, Charlotte. Your "overlaps" and muting of color, especially in the V(iewer's) upper right corner and out (almost at the 1/3 marks) adds depth. It has an almost dream-like quality.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2017, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

ntl: Thank you - I appreciate your comments

I am struggling with this painting; it is most complex for me - I just hope I can render it satisfactorily -

Again, thanks

Hud
C & C always welcome
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2017, 04:30 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

This is beautiful in color and style. So pleased that you returned to art. You sure jumped in in a big way. Applause.
Winston Churchill
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2017, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Jo: Thank you very much - I am truly enjoying painting again - I had forgotten the pleasure that it brings; plus it is most therapeutic -

I hope I have not bitten off more than I can chew here - Just have to keep plugging away -

Again, thanks

Hud
C & C always welcome
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2017, 05:54 PM
Enthusiast

Will you tell us what 2-3 parts have you stumped the most, right now?
Maybe, if you want, someone can offer direction.
Until something else jumps out at you.

For myself, most of my work needs frequent adjustment, from one area to another, and back again, . For me, it's part of the process. Till it's done. If THAT ever happens...

Last edited by ntl : 10-19-2017 at 06:05 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2017, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

ntl: Thank you so much - I really appreciate this

(1) Presently I am working on the foreground trying to get a little more detail in it; plus, add the vibrant colors I am looking to have - Suggestions needed -

(2) At the same time as I work on the foreground, I will be adding some of the same color ( though less intense ) to other parts of the painting - I tend to work all over the painting weaving my color scheme throughout; this , I think, creates a vibrancy in the painting that I want - I do not finish just one part, then go on to another; I want process to be fluid -

(3) At this point, I am pretty much satisfied with the distant mountains as they fade into the horizon ( Unless someone thinks otherwise - I am always open for improvement - I am trying to learn )

(4) Need more work on the sky/clouds; which I am doing off & on - Any suggestions much appreciated -

Of note: You can see I am working with a very limited palette - I basically mixed my colors on the canvas as opposed to premixing -

I am having to go to school with almost every brush stroke - Therefore, this is taking awhile - But the journey is worth it -

Again, thanks!!!
C & C always welcome

Last edited by oldglory : 10-19-2017 at 06:40 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2017, 11:36 PM
Standerton

Hails from South Africa

Great going, Hud. It might help to post a reference to show us where you are going?
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2017, 03:37 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Christel: Thank you - I appreciate your viewing -

Maybe I do not understand what you mean by "reference" - If you are speaking of a sketch or a photograph, I have none - I am painting this from memory - For so many years and so often that we hiked up into these mountains, the vision of this area is forever burned into my brain - This, of course, allows for some artistic license in rendering the scene - One is not confined to following an exactness which is laid out by a photograph -

This painting is more than just about depicting a majestic mountain vista; I am trying invoke a sense of belonging - A place that Charlotte loved and wanted to be - Maybe this cannot be done; I don't know - But I will keep working toward that goal and maybe some of what I am trying to say will show itself -

This whole thing is very complex for me - Probably to much emotion involved -

Again, thanks for viewing and your comments

Hud
C & C always welcome
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2017, 07:27 AM
Standerton

Hails from South Africa

Thanks for clarifying your reference and ideals. Looking forward to seeing your finished painting.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2017, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Christel: You are welcome and thank you -

Hud
C & C always welcome
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2017, 10:44 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldglory
(1) Presently I am working on the foreground trying to get a little more detail in it; plus, add the vibrant colors I am looking to have - Suggestions needed -
(2) At the same time as I work on the foreground, I will be adding some of the same color ( though less intense ) to other parts of the painting -...

(4) Need more work on the sky/clouds; which I am doing off & on - Any suggestions much appreciated -

Of note: You can see I am working with a very limited palette - I basically mixed my colors on the canvas as opposed to premixing -

Hi. It's perfectly all right that you do not have a "reference" photo, that you want to do this from your memory. So perhaps one way to help you is to ask
questions, and simply to comment. You will have to decide which comments will be helpful immediately or soon, which you might tuck away for later, which you might not use on this painting. I suggest you keep track of them so you can refer to them as you go along.

There is a section in the DRAWING AND SKETCHING FORUM titled "Drawing - Notes for the Advanced Artist" at http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1020172 .

If you study those lists with a big sheet of paper and charcoal in front of you, having drawn your image on it, try some of the suggestions there, you might find solutions, or at least a path forward for your major work.

For instance, in the BASICS list, you have used overlap. You're working general to particular. What else in the BASICS list can you start to work on now, trying it with the charcoal version first? (Or even pencil on 8x11 bond paper, [or smaller] to get a better idea of how something might look?

Do what you can with the BASICS list, then go to the GENERAL list.

I know you said this is from memory, but sometimes a photo can help jog the memory. Use some of yours, or google "images of Beartooth Mountain Wilderness Area" to help your memory.

Are you above the tree line? Even so, there would probably be bare rock, scrub brush, boulders maybe, especially on the near bluff. It's obvious that this is from Charlotte's point of view I suggest that that large brown avalanche area be broken with maybe either another green ledge or a bunch of rocks. There is a lot of "same-ness" in areas. Even though it is dream-like and distant and vast, to my way of thinking, there would be changes in color, due to undulations of the ground and increased distance.
Since it is dream-like, the same-ness of value throughout may not be a problem if that is what YOU want. Again, try it on your smaller pencil drawing to see what you prefer. There are several photos in the images site that show what I mean.

I will point out that one suggestion in the GENERAL list is "Often use the model as a guide for drawing from imagination." (See, it's okay. it says so right there on the internet, so it must be true )

(1) Presently I am working on the foreground trying to get a little more detail in it; plus, add the vibrant colors I am looking to have - Suggestions needed - Dark is needed to show light. Which means value changes
Read the PLANES list: Try to determine planes that are directly reflecting the light. All others will be slightly darker.
colors seem to appear more vibrant when placed adjacent to their painting complementary. ONE reason you may be having a problem with "vibrant" color, is that the cad yellow itself which is in most of the work IS very vibrant, so nothing else stands out. Consider glazing or scumbling over much of it, or painting over sections of the cad yellow so you can highlight specific areas.

4) Need more work on the sky/clouds; which I am doing off & on - Any suggestions much appreciated - MY first inclination would be to paint over the sky area with a light mix of UBlue and white, and for now, no clouds. The rest of the painting is busy, maybe the sky can be a "resting place for now.

You have two really intense colors on your palette- the yellow and the Prussian blue.

Of note: You can see I am working with a very limited palette - I basically mixed my colors on the canvas as opposed to premixing - That's possibly okay, a lot of people do, including yours truly, at times. Knowing what your paints will do will help. Consider watching this video, and making a color chart of what YOUR palette can achieve:

he says: "In this video I’m simply illustrating how to make the color charts as explained in the book Alla Prima by Richard Schmid. This exercise will ... teach you what your colors can do in terms of mixing
https://dgpaints.org/2014/09/25/30/
(I used watercolor paper that I marked with a ruler and pencil)

I hope these ideas help. Use what you can and leave the rest!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2017, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

ntl: I really appreciate you - All the help that you are giving me is invaluable - This is an "old dog trying to learn new tricks" - I am at times, I'm sure, reinventing the wheel; but being the Neanderthal boy dog that I am, what else can be expected -

I will take your advice and review the information you suggested - I am sure that it will be most beneficial - Not having Charlotte around anymore, making sure that I keep myself pointed in the right direction, leaves me in a quandary at times - She was always my compass in life -

Too, I'm glad that this information is not on TV; because, I gave that up 25 years ago - I'm finding the internet crazy enough; but, also at the same time supportive of my endeavors in pursuing my art again -

Again, thanks for all you are doing

Hud
C & C always welcome
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2017, 11:30 AM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi Hud, and welcome to the Southwest/Western forum!

I am so sorry for your loss, and am glad you're putting your feelings into this painting. I have found that art can be an incredibly healing way to work through grief and pain. I can tell that this mountain range is very near and dear to you and I think it will be a beautiful painting. The three figures representing you are an interesting idea, and the color palette is lovely. I hope you'll keep us posted on the progress of this painting. It's looking wonderful!

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2017, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Jenna: Thank you for your welcome and your kind words

The Beartooths are a very special place - So much of our life together was spent in these mountains enjoying the incredible experiences that Nature has to offer - Beyond description -

As far as the three figures; I wanted to create a sense of activity so that the painting rose above just being a static rendering of a mountain scene -

Again, thanks

Hud
C & C always welcome