WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2017, 04:45 PM

pine bark brown

I'm a beginner and having a little trouble finding the right mix for the most prominent brown in pine bark. I have burnt umber and burnt sienna and other mostly basic colors. Thanks for any help, Danny Gray
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2017, 09:30 PM
Enthusiast

Re: pine bark brown

post your question in the Color Theory and Mixing forum at http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14
Maybe someone there can help. I wonder why the mods haven't moved it for you...
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2017, 11:16 PM
Lord of the Arts
Oregon

Hails from United States

sometimes you need to report and request a move - I just did that.. so it might be moved later on...

For a specific color you almost need to post a picture of what you are trying to match ...for best suggestions..

Last edited by ~JMW~ : 11-17-2017 at 11:20 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2017, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Netherlands

THE color of pine bark does not exist, because it depends on light, type of pine, age of the tree, etc. If you could post a reference picture of what you're trying to paint, it's much easier to help. And picture of your painting might be useful too, because it could be that the colors surrounding your pine aren't correct. Or maybe your values are off.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2017, 12:37 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Canada

Hails from Canada

Yeah - there are a lot of variations depending on the kind of pine tree and the lighting. Maybe this is close to what you have in mind:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-sjbSR3O7L9...ning+light.jpg
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2017, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Monterey Bay area, California

I assume you already have Ultramarine Blue (it being a "basic color"). Try some burnt sienna, or burnt umber, with just a touch of Ultramarine Blue, and a little white. A wide variety of browns can be made that way.

When I think of pine bark, I think of a rather grayish brown (or, brownish gray). The afore-mentioned colors can get you there. If you happen to have Raw Umber, also try that, again with a touch of UB and white.

But ultimately, you will need to paint different colors for different parts, depending on lighting and surroundings, as was already noted. So, don't get obsessed with finding the perfect color.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2017, 09:29 AM

Thanks for these responses. This question had no response for a good while because it got moved. I kept experimenting with different combinations and got a good pine tree color using ivory black, cad red, yellow ochre and white. I'm learning that similar hues can sometimes be mixed using different colors. Does anyone agree with this? Thanks, Danny Gray
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2017, 12:51 PM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Pine bark color can have surprisingly high saturation in orange hue. Transparent red iron oxide is good chromatic paint to get such level of saturation.