WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2017, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada
drink & paint

I often pass this place -- a storefront with easels all lined up inside, signs inviting people to come in for painting evenings. I'd never seen what they do. This afternoon, class was in session. There were about 15 people painting in rows. I could see the paintings of the nearest four through the window and they were all of the same subject but I couldn't figure out how they were doing it. I went inside and the host showed me that there was an artist on a kind of stage doing the painting and the students just followed along, one step at a time -- it was a painting of black trees silhouetted against a pale green sky and some kind of bridge too. The 'teacher' painted a part and then the students did their best to imitate. You know, I don't knock it. Some of the students were making their trees kind of wild and streaky. Some put stars in the sky. some trees were lacy looking, others metallic. They were having fun, making creative choices within narrow limits. I would guess that some of these people might end up trying to paint on their own. I didn't see any drinks -- I forgot to look. There was nice music playing on the speakers though.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2017, 03:05 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Re: drink & paint

I've heard of these "wine and paint" sessions, but would never attend one. For starters, I'm not THAT sociable. Also, I tried drinking beer once, thinking it would put me into a deep state of relaxation to the point that I could paint more creatively, and it did nothing but make me depressed and want to get drunk.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2017, 03:37 AM
A WC! Legend

I'd go for the beer, not the painting!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2017, 06:06 AM
A Local Legend
Århus

Hails from Denmark

One of the galleries here has an occasional life drawing with a model and wine/beer to make it more relaxed and fun. I attended once, was ok but nothing special. Some of the artists were taking it quit seriously, others were there more for the beer. I like the idea that you described, where an artist paints and then the others paint after him/her. Of course a lot would depend on the skills of that teacher.

http://www.artallison.com/
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2017, 06:30 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

I know a watercolor artist (he is also a member here), who has been doing whiskey paintings. They are usually small, 5X7, but really great. He uses whiskey or vodka as the medium and is very good. He was just recently accepted into the WPA. Whiskey Painters of America. I'm sure they have a little nip from time to time when they paint.

Strut your stuff? Sometimes I think my stuff strutted off without me.
My work on Facebook

Last edited by snoball : 10-13-2017 at 06:32 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2017, 02:09 PM
Colorado

A little gin in the painting water, and the paint will dry more quickly.

A little gin in the painter, and he won't give a damn how long it takes the paint to dry.

Kos
Root, Bone, Sticks & Stone
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2017, 02:11 PM
Enthusiast

One thing that I do find interesting about some of these art gatherings is that there is a fee to participate. The person doing the demo gets a cut of the fees with the hosting organization or gallery taking a smaller percentage of the fee charged which is usually $25 - $35 / person locally. What interests me is being the person getting a cut of the total fees, not being a person paying the fee.

One could make some nice "art supply money" doing one or two a month. 15 people at $35 each would net you $315 at 60% plus they are usually fun to do according to some I have talked to. I have never been to one.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2017, 06:20 PM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica

Wow, that sounds fun for people!

I had no idea that this kind of 'copy painting' was popular.

Years ago I went to a place where you selected a canvas (there was usually three different sizes) then off you went to your easel to hopefully produce something interesting, you were on your own!

At the end of the session you paid your money, the price dependent on the size of the canvas selected.

“Good Art is not what it looks like, but what it does to us" Roy Adzak
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2017, 02:41 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

my local arts society has been doing paint nights for a few years now, it's a good fundraiser and membership/awareness drive.
we rotate up to three artists (society members) per night to host/teach, and another to tend bar.
the public seems to enjoy it.
we run one every two months.

it's meant to be fun, like a girls night out or a couples night or a mother/daughter night. serious art is not the point - exposure to creating art is.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2017, 10:40 AM
Enthusiast
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

Yeah, I do that.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2017, 10:58 AM
Enthusiast
Jacksonville, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by contumacious
One thing that I do find interesting about some of these art gatherings is that there is a fee to participate. The person doing the demo gets a cut of the fees with the hosting organization or gallery taking a smaller percentage of the fee charged which is usually $25 - $35 / person locally. What interests me is being the person getting a cut of the total fees, not being a person paying the fee.

One could make some nice "art supply money" doing one or two a month. 15 people at $35 each would net you $315 at 60% plus they are usually fun to do according to some I have talked to. I have never been to one.

I interviewed to be one of those artists on the high dollar side of town figuring it would be a nice segue to find new collectors for my artwork. The owner was teaching the classes herself with no artist background and she was only going to offer me $12 per hour regardless of the class size, subject manner or duration of the class. This amount would not even cover my gas to get to class let alone my time as it was almost an hour away from my house, so I declined and kept it moving.

Last edited by Boafamily : 10-16-2017 at 11:00 AM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2017, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

New York Times had an article about this fad -- I think it was last week. I can't get it for you because I've used up my free visits for the month. But you can go to the site and search it. They name a few of the actual companies that run these events.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2017, 02:58 PM

One of my grandbabies had a birthday party at a place like this. The ages were from 5 up to 11 - with some of the adults painting too. They all seemed to enjoy it and there was quite a range of interesting "finished" products.

I thought it was a nice introduction to painting with acrylics on a stretched canvas.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2017, 08:05 AM
A WC! Legend

I went to one of these (without the drinking part ) at a women's event with my sister at her church. Everyone had fun. They had little cardboard easels set up, which helped quell the comparisons and negative self talk that sometimes happen when people try something new. I thought that was clever.

Unfortunately, "paint after the teacher" works best when the teacher can paint. I felt like we were copying a bad copy of a bad copy. Still, everyone had fun.

Another sister has gone to one or two of these, and it has re-sparked in interest in painting in her.

I was the teacher for a version of these (without the drink) for my friend's daughter's birthday party when she was about 9. The painters ranged from about 4 -40? I gave them two options (photos) to be inspired by, and encouraged them to paint from the photo, not my how-to painting. Everyone had fun.

I've had more fun painting one-on-one with friends who have never painted, or never painted much. They paint a flower from life, or from a photo reference from their cell phone. I'm amazed with what they can do.

Last edited by maryinasia : 10-17-2017 at 08:15 AM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2017, 12:02 PM
Immortalized
Ventura, California

Hails from United States

My job as a notary takes me into people's homes. I frequently see these on the wall. The people are very proud of the paintings. They say, "I can't even draw a straight line, but look what a did! A tree against the moon!" I think they supply the wine so that the people won't be afraid. I would like to do it, but I am afraid I would finish mine in 5 minutes, and then be done.

I met a woman at party who hosted these. She says she rents the room at a restaurant, brings all the easels, canvases and paints, and she profits about $100 a night. She says she gets the ideas for her paintings off of the internet.

http://www.carolynspaintblog.blogspot.com/