WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2017, 09:28 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Drivers today are terrible

Maybe it's just my imagination, but back when I first started driving in the late 1980's people put their blinkers on, they dimmed their headlights when approaching you or were tailing you. Now? It's like they don't have a clue.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2017, 10:08 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Re: Drivers today are terrible

It's not your imagination. Sometimes I think I'm the only one that uses "which way" lights or dimmers.

Strut your stuff? Sometimes I think my stuff strutted off without me.
My work on Facebook
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2017, 12:31 PM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica

Every time I get in my car and drive on the roads in CR it's hectic. No one indicates, no one, not ever.

The roads are full of potholes, and there are often dogs running out from the curb, it's not great.

Sometimes drivers will even stop in the middle of the road, just to pick up family.

The worst I've seen is someone stopping halfway on a roundabout and I think that was to answer their phone.

“Good Art is not what it looks like, but what it does to us" Roy Adzak
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2017, 12:52 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Well Katie, at least they stopped to answer their phone. Even the bus drivers here can be seen with their phones clamped to their ears.
I hate to say it but here the women are by far the worst drivers - they don't stop at zebra crossings are very aggressive drivers, and so many of them them have Suvs which they really can't park.
The most used piece of equipment in the car here is the horn- mainly used by the men haha

laf-art.com | Prints | FB
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2017, 12:59 PM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

The same thing is happening here. I would add U Turns in the middle of travelled streets to your list. People do signal lane changes and turns most of the time, and they are better at stopping for pedestrians in zebra crossings, but there is a growing group that doesn't bother.

Plus, at the same time the drivers have become more selfish, cyclists have become more numerous and just ignore all the rules they can. They put themselves in danger time and again by blowing through stop signs or swinging out in front of the car.

Luckily I live in a quiet-ish suburb, and the drive downtown is short and relatively civilized. Out on the really busy streets it is much more annoying. And it is worse in Vancouver.

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2017, 01:18 PM
A WC! Legend

The problem where I live is basically the volume of traffic. In the 80s although many women worked, many also stayed home to look after the children and the work at home. Today most couples both need to work simply to keep their heads above water. More cars, more money is needed to run those cars. Very young children are now dropped off at nursery, even more family costs. Fear of being late, losing one's work and many other factors add to the stress on the roads. Older people drive slowly (which is of course, their right) during the rush hour to do the things they've done all their retired life (they could go to the post office and other places when it's no so busy, but they don't) adding even more stress because they ain't in any rush to get where they're going.

Sao Paulo where I lived is manic where traffic is concerned but surprisingly enough. It's one of the least stressful places I've driven and I've driven wherever I've been. There are the odd road ragers out there but on the whole they're far more relaxed about driving and never worry about not being on time. They also have a law there that if a family has more than one car (this is worked depending on the last of the registration plate) one car must be off the road one day. I've been fined for ignoring this law, even though it was an emergency. My fault of course and I think it's a system that is going to be needed in more places in the future.

I fear for driverless cars because it means someone can shoot you and not worry about skidding off the road.

There are bad drivers, but there always has been, driving is a necessity rather than a vocation and who am I to say I'm a good driver myself. I make mistakes like everyone else.

Last edited by ianuk : 10-09-2017 at 01:22 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2017, 05:29 PM
A Local Legend
Århus

Hails from Denmark

I am one of those hideous drivers. Which is exactly why I do not drive, ever. Haven't in at least 10 years, maybe 12. I always had a ton of accidents. Totalled several cars. Last accident left me upside down in a ditch, unconscious.

Why was I such a retched driver?

1. all my accidents were on the left side. I found out in my mid thirties that I am totally blind on my left side, no peripheral vision at all. Since I had been that way since I was three, I was used to it, so I didn't actually know I was blind there. I just thought I was clumsy.

2. My brain is off in fantasy land nearly 24-7. I am hyper focused, in some deep, far off complicated land a lot of the time, which means I am not concentrating on the road. I can slap my face, say to myself 50 times PAY ATTENTION to the road... but it only works a few minutes, and no matter how hard I try to focus on the road, I end up back in neverland.

Now if you are having a heart attack right this minute and there is no ambulance, yes, I'd probably jump behind the wheel, but I'd see no other reason valid enough to do so. It isn't safe for me, my family, or for yours. Once I had my own children, I made the very clear and conscious decision to never drive again. Because in doing so I might kill myself, kill my children, or kill someone else's children, and I would not be able to live with myself under any of those conditions.

http://www.artallison.com/
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2017, 05:46 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

So, ever driver you ticked off is passing you and thinks "Oh, NOW, she's focused on driving".

Another thing I'm seeing is WAAAAYYYY too many old, old drivers. They might use their blinkers, but they're driving 40 mph in a 65 mph zone, to the point of being rear-ended into the next life. There's a farmer that lives about half a mile from me, and he travels my road to get to the cemetary (he unlocks the gate and checks on things). I'll be DAMNED if I'm late going to work and getting stuck behind that guy. I could drive backwards and out-race him. He's friendly, but he probably picks up dog droppings and thinks they're pinecones. Heard he used to be a real jerk, but then mellowed out a little after his wife's death.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2017, 09:45 PM
A WC! Legend
A large urban setting in the Mid-West

Hails from United States

I have to agree with Ian. The sheer volume of drivers has increased greatly over the years. When I was in Art School... not all that many years ago... I would drive home late 12:00AM, 1 or 2:00 in the morning... and even on the major interstate highways through the heart of town... traffic was sparse. Often I wouldn't see another car for 1000 feet... maybe even a quarter mile or more in front of me. By comparison, today traffic at the same time is like it once was in mid-afternoon.

Cleveland is one of those American cities wholly dependent upon the automobile. There is little option in terms of mass public transportation, and the city sprawls for some 30 or 40 miles from one side to the other... not even considering the immediate suburbs that are essentially just an extension of the city proper. I put in a good many miles behind the wheel in a given year. I drive fast... but I'm a safe driver. Beyond the slow drivers who don't have the sense to stay out of the passing lane, and the idiots... often in big trucks, SUVs, and luxury imports who believe they own the road, the biggest driving irritation for me are those morons who are texting while driving... often weaving back and forth... even crossing over from one lane to the other. I'd have no problem... as politically progressive as I am... with bringing back the stockades in their instances.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2017, 12:35 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonR
1. all my accidents were on the left side. I found out in my mid thirties that I am totally blind on my left side, no peripheral vision at all. Since I had been that way since I was three, I was used to it, so I didn't actually know I was blind there. I just thought I was clumsy.

Don't you have to undergo an eye test to get a licence in Denmark? Around here, you do, and then you have to renew your licence every five years, and every time get your eyes retested. Despite this our roads are terribly dangerous.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2017, 01:44 AM
Lord of the Arts

I agree, driving is much harder with an Attention Deficit problem.

I can drive well enough, but don't do well with distractions. It's extremely rare for me to even use the radio or play any music at all, while driving. That's an extra layer of distraction when I need to focus completely.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2017, 06:25 AM
A Local Legend
Århus

Hails from Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianvds
Don't you have to undergo an eye test to get a licence in Denmark? Around here, you do, and then you have to renew your licence every five years, and every time get your eyes retested. Despite this our roads are terribly dangerous.

I passes the American "blinking light test" after the woman told me to stand back from the machine a bit. I would never pass a danish test, which doesn't matter, as I will never drive.

Denmark rules - you HAVE to take a driving instructions class for several months, a ton of hands-on driving, and a test - at least 20,000kr - $3,100. You have to have your car inspected ever 2nd year, another couple hundred bucks. Very strict - like any rust means it won't pass, so you have to get it fixed, then go back to inspection for another couple hundred bucks. If you don't get the inspection, police come and take your license plate. Over a certain age, I think 70, you have to pass a physical at the doctors every other year. Over 80 the exam is 80 years. You turn on red or minor infraction, 1000 kr ticket. You do something major, like speed more than 20km over the limit, you get a huge fine, jail time, or license removed. I actually love these rules. Keeps the idiots and the drunks off the road.

http://www.artallison.com/
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2017, 01:03 PM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonR
I am one of those hideous drivers. Which is exactly why I do not drive, ever. Haven't in at least 10 years, maybe 12. I always had a ton of accidents. Totalled several cars. Last accident left me upside down in a ditch, unconscious.

Why was I such a retched driver?

2. My brain is off in fantasy land nearly 24-7. I am hyper focused, in some deep, far off complicated land a lot of the time, which means I am not concentrating on the road. I can slap my face, say to myself 50 times PAY ATTENTION to the road... but it only works a few minutes, and no matter how hard I try to focus on the road, I end up back in neverland.

Now if you are having a heart attack right this minute and there is no ambulance, yes, I'd probably jump behind the wheel, but I'd see no other reason valid enough to do so. It isn't safe for me, my family, or for yours. Once I had my own children, I made the very clear and conscious decision to never drive again. Because in doing so I might kill myself, kill my children, or kill someone else's children, and I would not be able to live with myself under any of those conditions.

Wow, Alison, you sound a bit like my daughter when it comes to driving, but I'm not sure exactly what ails her, but I only know she cannot be trusted behind a wheel.

When we lived in the UK I gave her some driving lessons and I honestly thought she was going to kill us both she was that bad. We had quite a few scary moments, but the very last lesson I gave her I remember I asked her to pull over as I couldn't take anymore. As she pulled over she mounted the curb and carried on driving and all I could see was a woman coming towards us pushing a pram. When we got home I had to have a lie down to recover.

Fast forward to today. She wanted to get her license which I was opposed to from the start bearing in mind her history and the roads in CR. But, my husband didn't really listen, probably because he had no real experience with her driving.

It was decided that he was going to give her lessons, but just on the mountain for safety. The first lesson went fine and I must admit I was surprised. The second lesson involved her driving the car from the entrance of the mountain up to our house at the top of the mountain. Halfway up the mountain she veered off the road and hit a tree. Luckily no one else was involved and they carried on, but just as she pulled into our entrance instead of pressing on the brake she pressed on the accelerator and drove into the side of the house.

I was in the kitchen at the time and I heard a lot of shouting. When I ran outside I couldn't believe the state of our vehicle Lol!

So, I am glad she is using Uber.

“Good Art is not what it looks like, but what it does to us" Roy Adzak
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2017, 03:15 PM
A WC! Legend

My mother in law asked me if she could borrow my car for the day. It was a reasonably expensive car and she drove it straight out of the gate into the tree that was on the opposite side of the road. The cost of repair was horrendous, I daren't claim through insurance (insured for any driver) because premiums would go up ridiculously. Basically in ten minutes she created more havoc with a car than I have all my life and, in the right places I drive quite fast, I love driving.

My biggest peeve isn't driving, it's parking. Finding a space is becoming harder and the costs and fines increasing all the time.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2017, 09:57 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

They suck around here and that's for sure. Much worse than it used to be.

In a snowstorm you can bet that the Subaru in front of you will be piloted by a terrified octogenarian who wants to go ten miles an hour and hits the brakes going uphill. Right on your tail, there’ll be a humungous jacked up GMC pickup tricked out with blindingly bright running lights on every available surface, piloted by a testosterone-charged maniac who wants to go at least sixty.

It ain't much better year round.