WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2017, 06:43 PM

drypoint and carborundum on same plate

Hi
I watched someone from Bournemouth on YouTube doing a carborundum print using carborundum and sand from the beach!

I'd not even heard of this method before but would like to have a go.

Can anyone tell me why carborundum is used in general and not just very fine sand?

Also... has anyone tried doing a drypoint and carborundum on the same plate in one go or would this not work as the carborundum would raise the area and so the drypoint area would not be as well 'pressed'?

Thanks.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2017, 11:16 AM
Enthusiast

Re: drypoint and carborundum on same plate

I think it is because the carborundum is cleaner than beach sand and a more consistent grit. Also, it is black so it helps you visualize the results a bit more readily.

Why not try both and see what you get. You can also buy aluminum oxide in various grits.

You can definitely mix dry point and the carborundum techniques on the same plate.

This link shows a print done that way:

https://www.facebook.com/events/989013821196116/
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2017, 03:16 PM
Enthusiast

Here is a video that shows a carborundum print using Akua's carborundum paste. She mentions drypoint but doesn't do any. All you would need to do to add drypoint to what she did is us a tool that scribes into the plastic to add thin black lines as well as the subtracitve method of making white lines by removing the carborundum paste.

I have never used the Akua paste but it definitely looks like it would be a great way to create a plate with a wide variety of textures and lines combining carborundum and drypoint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IGIInckkYk
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2017, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the YouTube link, I wasn't expecting that. She did it the opposite way round by covering the plate in the silicon carbide medium then scraping away, the finished print was good, I preferred the softer one done with the pin press (rather than the etching press). I don't have a screen though to start with and I'm not sure if the method would work with a drypoint too. I was thinking more of making a drypoint plate then adding some glue to small areas and sprinkling with the grit.

Also thanks for the FB link. It's a shame I missed her class, although I did find one at another place in London at the end of November.

I'll have to get some grit and experiment.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2017, 05:38 PM
Enthusiast

After watching the video of the Akua Carborundum Gel, I can't seem to let it go. I am going to either make my own or buy some to try.

As for applying it to the plate - I don't have any screens and don't really want to make or buy any unless I end up liking this stuff. I am wondering if a thin enough even coat could be achieved with a soft brayer.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2017, 06:10 AM

I was thinking exactly the same thing! I've ordered some silicon carbide and have pva glue. I'll might try both methods I have seen.

I'll try applying as if drawing on and also like you say try applying to whole plate and taking away - but without the screen.

I am not sure if a brayer would work - but if you try, please report back! I'll tell you how I get on too.

Thanks.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-24-2017, 07:48 AM
Wiltshire, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

I've combined drypoint with collagraph successfully (in my view anyway!) so I don't see any problem with combining with carborundum. See the post in this forum "Window on the world" to see it.

Edit: I see you want to do this in one pass, which mine isn't. There may be an issue in that case, since I use higher pressure settings for drypoint to those for carborundum/collagraph. I have done one in the series I mentioned using the collagraph settings by mistake on the drypoint. It still worked, but the ink transfer was incomplete and much softer. It might be less successful with a different image.

Edit2: A friend of mine has made very successful and complex prints with texture paste applied to thin acrylic sheet as well as drypoint, so it can be done. I'll see if I can find an image online.

Edit3!: Here is a link to one of these prints in her Etsy shop. I can't find another one online.
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/5606..._home_active_1

Last edited by IanBertram : 11-24-2017 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Further thoughts
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-24-2017, 05:29 PM

Thanks for the link! The print looks very complex. I wonder how your friend makes more than one as it says 1/8 unless it's just my eyesight.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2017, 10:42 AM
Wiltshire, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

It's 1/2, but as a varied edition. She has kept the other copy for herself. It is complex as you say. I watched her print it and I'm not sure I would have the patience, since it uses several plates, plus chine colle..