WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2017, 12:28 PM
Enthusiast

I enjoyed this article on painting from life

I would prefer to paint everything from life but it is often difficult to do that. Too many aspects of a scene or subject that might make a significant contribution to how we paint it, are always lost / unavailable when painting from a reference photo whether we are aware of it or not.

http://www.learning-to-see.co.uk/why...om-photographs
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2017, 01:31 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States
Re: I enjoyed this article on painting from life

Interesting article. Thanks.
Winston Churchill
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2017, 09:37 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Found it interesting as well. Two quotes really hit me.

“I want to experience the lemon I’m painting. I want to touch its surface, smell it, be sitting in the same light that is reflecting off its surface.”

“And making art for me is more about the experience of making it, the involvement in the process, than the end result. I lose interest in my paintings almost as soon as they’re finished.”

Joe
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2017, 06:25 PM
Enthusiast

I forgot to set notifications for this thread - this is the first time I have paid much attention to it since I posted it! You are welcome for the link to those of you who expressed thanks and / or interest.

When I first stopped in here to type the original message, I didn't realize that this forum essentially revolves around the Scavenger Hunt. I will have to jump in on one of them soon once I get things a bit more settled around here. They look to be quite fun!

Upon returning today I didn't see very many posts of work painted from life outside the "Hunts" on the first page which sent me searching. The most recent non Scavenger Hunt image I found was posted about 6 months ago, back in May of 2017, then nothing until February of the same year. Is there some specific reason for that or did it just evolve into a "hunt" only venue at some point? (Not that it bothers me either way - just curious as to the timeline and such.) I assume that posting new threads of non Scavenger Hunt work is acceptable as long as the guidelines are followed?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2017, 09:16 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

You are welcome to post art from life. Most of the Scavenger Hunt folks have blogs and post in other forums, like the journaling group others specific to their main medium so we don't get back here. It is fun to see art from life.... the best way to paint for me! You post, I'll look!
Winston Churchill
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2017, 09:23 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Interesting article, I myself try to paint from life as much as I can. However, I have such a busy life, so If I cannot go to the real place but if my muse strikes, I don't mind working from ref. photos either...

Painting is my soul. My blog.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2017, 12:05 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Thank you for sharing the article! I love thinking about possible points of view, and their benefits!!!

Some forums have very active moderators which helps keep all the different activity levels high. Some forums are quieter though, and this forum is one of them. Even the Scavenger Hunts used to have a lot more activity. The core people have really kept it going completely out of their love for each other and the hunts, even when this area was otherwise orphaned for very long periods of time. Thinking about this forum in that way--almost as a livling entity--makes me want to try harder to contribute on a more continuous basis than I have in the past.