WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2017, 03:35 PM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica
What is the best thing about your house..and what is the worse thing?

For me, the best thing is my view which is wonderful.

The worse thing is that it takes 10/15 minutes of driving up a mountain to get to it!!

I never thought about how much that would annoy me until I was having to do it every day.

“Good Art is not what it looks like, but what it does to us" Roy Adzak

Last edited by Katie Black : 10-06-2017 at 03:40 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2017, 04:05 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Re: What is the best thing about your house..and what is the worse thing?

The best thing is that it is out in the country. I love the drive to mine because it is beautiful. I love country roads.
The worst thing about it is that it just will not clean itself!

Strut your stuff? Sometimes I think my stuff strutted off without me.
My work on Facebook
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2017, 04:12 PM
A WC! Legend

The best thing is, I'm near the sea.

The worst thing is, so are hundreds of noisy seagulls.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2017, 04:42 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

The best thing is the location: a lovely country setting and as sno at her place describes....great scenic roads to get here.
Best parts of interior: turned half my two car garage into a studio, put up drywall right down the middle. It has two large windows and is heated.
Our master bedroom has a large french door that looks out on to a patio and lovely back yard. There is also a fireplace in the bedroom.
and believe me, the house was cheap. We were just in luck.
Worst part? The basement floods. We have a french drain etc. but it is not effective. Another bad thing is our many neighbors with kids on REALLY loud dirt bikes and they ride them at dinner time, sometimes when we have company over. There are also "macho men" who are chain saw happy.

Country life is grand though.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2017, 05:53 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Greece

Which house? The old one or the new one? I'm about to move to a new house.

So the best thing of my old house, that I'm still in and packaging, is that it is at a Southern Athenian suburb close to the sea but also close to the mountain and has everything in a walkable distance. All kind of stores, and a bus stop, metro station.
The worst thing of the house I'm leaving, is that it is an old vintage house and its doors and windows need upgrade that my landlady didn't and still doesn't want to do.

Let me talk you though about the new house.
The new house is again at a Athenian suburb, this time a northern one,that is supposed to be posh and expensive in the style of the garden suburbs. The best thing about this house is that I won't pay any rent and any bills as it is offered to me for free and it is triple the size of my old one. My old one is 50 sq meters, the new one is 150 sq meter.

The worst thing about the new house is that it is at this garden suburb. No stores, no bus stops, no metro station in a walkable distance; in order to do the basic shopping you need a car and I don't have a car. Not to mention that it is located at the north of Attica close to the mountain and so the area is colder and so it is not that convenient to cycle to the stores during the winter.

But ok...you can't have everything in this life!
I'll move to my new house by the end of this month, the latest early November.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2017, 06:15 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

Best - ample space for everything, including art, of course; secluded country living surrounded by lovely views and wildlife and easy access to civilization when i need it. And a heated garage so i don't have to suffer during 40 below winters.

Worst - maintenance, last month i had to hire a vac truck, a backhoe, an electrician and now i need a lift truck to help me change the light bulb on my yard light and a small engine repair dude to diagnose the wretched clattery noises my lawn mower started making today.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2017, 08:06 PM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia

Best- located in a small seaside town with nature all around. The house is large and fairly new.
Worst- no large painting space or adequate storage. Now I have close neighbours building next to the house. Distance to city art galleries and to deliver paintings.

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2017, 08:25 PM

1. It's a log house.
2. It's a log house.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2017, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member

I own, but I'm neither rich or successful.

I live in kind of a typical New England style house, but it's around 270 years old. I thought when I moved in that fact made it SOOOOO charming. Little purple (mulberry) house, picket fence, granite foundation, beehive oven, 3 fireplaces, big trees. Lots of wooden parts to paint, in lots of creative ways.

But now, 20 years later, and after having put so much into its never ending upkeep...the paned windows that are painted shut on top and propped open by sticks, the tilted creaky scuffed wide-pine floors, the flaking horsehair plaster walls, the narrow slippery wooden staircase like a stepladder...have lost all their charm.

I actually kind of hate my house now and can't wait to retire and move across the country to live in a different kind of house. More openness, more light. Sunny! Something newer and modern where the surfaces are shiny and clean and you can open a window like a normal human. And where we're spread out far enough from each other so we can't hear talking going on inside the house next door.

I do love my little Norman Rockwell-ish seaside village, though.
That still retains its charm.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2017, 02:17 AM
A WC! Legend

I rent an apartment. I like that it is a short walk to where I work, to shopping, to fruit stands, to a park, to my friends' houses...

I also like the large table for painting in my dining room/living room area. Sometimes I even eat on it.

I could do without my neighbor's roosters outside, the occasionally rooster in a cardboard box in the hallway (for a day or two before it is eaten.)
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2017, 06:16 PM
Administrator
Where ever I go..there I am

Hails from United States

ADMIN NOTE: A few off topic posts have been removed.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2017, 06:22 PM
Administrator
Where ever I go..there I am

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Black
For me, the best thing is my view which is wonderful.

The worse thing is that it takes 10/15 minutes of driving up a mountain to get to it!!

I never thought about how much that would annoy me until I was having to do it every day.

Best: Beautiful large grounds with flower beds which are a joy to behold!.
Worst: Beautiful large grounds with flower beds which require more maintenance than we are up to at this point in time. Time to scale back.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2017, 07:50 PM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

Best thing:

Large backyard with several little spaces to sit and enjoy a warm summer afternoon. It is like having a little park. My wife is a keen gardener so it is quite pretty. Our style is kind of Anglo-Mediterranean with a corner that has a twist of Japan. It is a restful pleasant space.

The second best thing is the location about a ten minute walk to the sea in one direction or to a quaint village in the other direction.

Worst thing?

The worst thing is probably the interlocking brick driveway from the early 80s. It is dated, uneven and weeds love the cracks between the pavers. We replaced the path to the front door that had the same interlocking bricks with a nice stone pathway, but I hate the thought of spending money on a driveway, so we have just left it.

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2017, 03:24 PM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica

Perfecto!

I'm glad I asked, that was fun!

“Good Art is not what it looks like, but what it does to us" Roy Adzak
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2017, 04:02 PM
A WC! Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Black
Perfecto!

I'm glad I asked, that was fun!

You're so easily pleased K-B