WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2017, 04:38 AM

Hails from United Kingdom
Goldfinch on a Teasel

European goldfinch on a teasel. 18 x 24cm (about 7 x 9.5 inches)
Daler Rowney Ebony Sketchbook paper.
Mostly FC Polychromos plus one or two Caran D'Ache, Verithin and Derwent pencils.
Reference photo by Darren Bellerby on Flickr (CC 2.0 license)

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2017, 08:56 AM
Upstate New York

Hails from United States
Re: Goldfinch on a Teasel

Wow, Claudia! This came out perfect! The bird is amazing - the feathers look so smooth and soft. Great job on the background, too - it couldn't have been easy getting such a perfectly smooth blend but you nailed it! Great job!

Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2017, 05:29 AM
Lord of the Arts
Whitby, Ontario

Hails from Canada

This is really beautiful. You have done a great job.
Vena
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2017, 11:04 AM
Enthusiast
Texas

Hails from United States

Nice job. Love the teasel!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2017, 12:18 PM
WC! Guide
Edinburgh

Beautiful picture. Great work on the difference in textures between the prickly teasel and the soft feathers of the goldfinch.

My website, Facebook, Twitter
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2017, 01:10 PM
A WC! Legend
Germany / Bavarian

Hails from Germany

Fantastic, realistic drawing!

Ernst

Meine Seiten - My website
Malen ist nicht alles im Leben - aber ohne Malen ist alles nichts!
Painting is not everything in life - but without painting everything is nothing!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2017, 02:20 PM
Immortalized
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Fantastic, Claudia!

Can you describe the steps for doing the layers on the teasel? I have always been fascinated with those botanical forms, one of them Dandelion, but haven't attempted them yet!

I love the texture on the stem, thorns and all!!!

It is not the gales, but the set of the sails that determines the way you go - Charles Bell, 1927 - 1974.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2017, 01:43 PM

Thanks for the nice comments, folks. Much appreciated. My first goldfinch attempt was disappointing so I was really pleased when this one turned out pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frida
Fantastic, Claudia!

Can you describe the steps for doing the layers on the teasel? I have always been fascinated with those botanical forms, one of them Dandelion, but haven't attempted them yet!

I love the texture on the stem, thorns and all!!!

I had no idea how to tackle it and I'm not sure my way was very good but here's what I did:

For the outline sketch I drew the long curly sepals and the thorny ridges on the stem, but the teasel was just a vague, faint egg shape (no detail of spikes at all)

Stem: Using the detailed outline sketch and reference photo, I layered warm greys/browns very lightly (light to dark) to create the thorny ridges (I simplified the ridges slightly because it would have been an over-detailed mess if I'd tried to copy the photo exactly.)

Resist: I used a sharp white pencil fairly heavily on the light (left) side of the curly sepal thing in front of the teasel, to act as a resist.

Teasel: I should have practiced beforehand and I probably wouldn't do it this way again, but....I basically just shaded an egg shape (using my imaginary upper-left light source) but with no definite edges. I shaded it in 3 or 4 shades of brown, trying to avoid the curly thing but not worrying too much because I'd resisted it with white. Then I added a bit of rough scribbly/stipple texture to the central part of the egg shape, and then the spikes, each one being a single quick, bold flick with a brown pencil (That's the part I'm not happy with).

I finished off by completing the curly sepals (remembering to add the shadow side to the one I'd used the resist on).

I think someone more experienced and less lazy would probably have a better way and get a better result, but this way worked OK for my first attempt. If you experiment and find a better way, do let me know. I was so daunted by all the spikes that I wanted to simplify the process of trying to draw it.

Last edited by KaySilver : 10-08-2017 at 01:46 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2017, 08:20 PM
PA

Hails from United States

I really like this. I love the pod!!

Save
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2017, 05:44 PM
Immortalized
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Hi Claudia! I know this will interest you... I mentioned before our old member Katherine Tyrrell (there are some of her threads in the CP Library), who contributed greatly until she started her blog Making a Mark. Now she started the Botanical Art and Artists website. In the latest issue she was covering an exhibition where the SBA (Society of Botanical Art) in the UK had introduced a new award. To make it short, one of the awards went to someone who exhibited a teasel, which reminded me of yours...

Now... That teasel is mind-boggling, because it has an area where the artist shows detail, and it follows the Fibonacci mathematical sequence!!! I'd do it with a pineapple, but never with something so small...

As I don't know how to shorten URLs, I will paste the whole thing in here. Sorry! WC has shortened it, and I hope it works:

https://www.botanicalartandartists.c...ists+-+News%29

It is not the gales, but the set of the sails that determines the way you go - Charles Bell, 1927 - 1974.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2017, 01:29 AM

Oh my word Raquel, that teasel is indeed mind-boggling! It's amazing! I feel rather embarrassed about my lazy little effort now!

Thanks for posting the link (which does work, btw).
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2017, 01:58 PM
Immortalized
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Sorry, but I cannot accept your comment about your teasel... It is wonderfully done, and I wish I live long enough to do the Dandelion one I have been thinking about for so long.

Remember that artists are at all levels, and there is no room for embarrassment. You can only compare the work you did yesterday with the one you do today. That's your guideline, and you are doing beautifully.

Was it Dali who said "Don't worry about perfection. You'll never reach it"?

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2017, 02:22 AM

Thanks Raquel! When I see wonderful accomplished work like that it's easy to feel self-critical, but actually I'm quite pleased with the progress I've made on my CP learning curve. I was a complete and total beginner at the beginning of this year - I've learnt SO MUCH already, in less than a year! There's still a long way to go and everything I do is still an experiment at this stage, but the main thing is I'm really enjoying it! And really, that's all that matters, isn't it?
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2017, 02:31 PM
Lord of the Arts
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

Really beautiful. I am lucky enough to see these birds in my garden. Well done!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2017, 02:36 PM
Lord of the Arts
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

Frida - I visited the Bath branch of the Botanical Artists Society on Saturday, an exhibition of drawing of trees and their flowers and fruits. I saw some beautiful work. I am attending a workshop by Ann Swan next week. Thank you for the link to the website.