WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2017, 05:19 PM
Enthusiast

UArt Dark?

Have any of you tried the new UArt dark sanded papers? I am anxious to give them a whirl. It will be fun to try some alcohol wash underpainting in light values on this stuff rather than the traditional darker underpainting on light paper.

http://uartpastelpaper.com/products/

Sadly no 320 which is my fav UArt grit.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2017, 07:06 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States
Re: UArt Dark?

I hope one of our members will have tried the new Uart and can give us a little insight into the underpainting process or direct painting.

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2017, 02:16 PM
Enthusiast

Here is a Karen M. video on Youtube of her painting on UArt Dark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSeQNDhSuFI

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zPmA7Tar7...0/P1180777.jpg
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2017, 12:52 PM
New York City

Hails from United States

I haven't used it but I saw it in person at the PSA show last month. It is a really nice dark gray.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2017, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member

I've given up on uart - used to love it. Now, every time I order some, there are always defects in the paper way too inconsistent and too much of a hassle to always have to return
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2017, 12:23 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAnn
I've given up on uart - used to love it. Now, every time I order some, there are always defects in the paper way too inconsistent and too much of a hassle to always have to return

I am sorry to hear that. What kind of defects? Where are you buying it? What are you using to replace it?

No other paper that I have found comes close in versatility. It is probably the single most used sanded paper out there. Every professional pastel artist I know personally, except one uses it. I have yet to get any bad batches of UArt and was about to buy a roll. Now I am hesitant, if I might be getting defective stuff. Have any of you others here on WC received any defective UAart sanded paper? If yes, where did you buy it? What sizes and grits? What were the defects?

Is there another sanded paper out there that offers all these options?
  • Wide range of grits 240-800
  • Rolls, sheets and boards
  • Resistant to water and alcohol (many are not, including Pastel Premier)
  • Now available in two shades
  • Able to hold more than 24 layers
I do actually prefer the color and the texture of Pastel Premier to the original UArt color, but since water AND alcohol both dissolve their current glue I have gone with UArt.

Last edited by contumacious : 10-10-2017 at 12:26 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2017, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

I was buying online at Dick Blick's and locally at Continental Art Supplies, which stopped carrying it due to all the returns.

The defects range from minor to major. Minor being you don't notice until you're painting and invested significant amount of time and effort and major, as in naked to the eye. Instead of sanded, some appear to have a linear texture to them. Also, the defects do affect using water on them, as the water seems to sink into the lines I was mentioning.

It's a real bummer, because I loved uart
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2017, 02:44 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAnn
I was buying online at Dick Blick's and locally at Continental Art Supplies, which stopped carrying it due to all the returns.

The defects range from minor to major. Minor being you don't notice until you're painting and invested significant amount of time and effort and major, as in naked to the eye. Instead of sanded, some appear to have a linear texture to them. Also, the defects do affect using water on them, as the water seems to sink into the lines I was mentioning.

It's a real bummer, because I loved uart

Thanks for the follow up. Dang....no fun. I sure don't want to have to return an entire ROLL!

I hope they hurry up with the new water and alcohol proof Pastel Premier adhesive. I guess the only alternative is Fisher 400 with its limited grit selection if you need an alcohol proof paper.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2017, 02:59 PM
Enthusiast
California Central Coast

Hails from United States

Quote:
The defects range from minor to major. Minor being you don't notice until you're painting and invested significant amount of time and effort and major, as in naked to the eye. Instead of sanded, some appear to have a linear texture to them.

I've run into the same issue and switched to Pastel Mat. Part of the reason I also gave up on Wallis.

Additional work can be viewed at Mike's site
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2017, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member

I've used colorfix - it comes in a wide range of colors - is consistent (at least, have never run into defects), can hold multiple layers of pastel, easily handles water, alcohol, etc., and comes in different sizes. It only comes in regular and smooth though.

There is a thread on here somewhere from Leslie who uses some store bought sanded paper with a lot of success - her works are gorgeous. You might want to search for them and then, if you have any specific questions, you can always pm her. She's really nice and readily helps anyone out who asks
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2017, 03:24 PM
Enthusiast

I do enjoy using Colorfix and Pastel Mat for some pieces, but they can't replace UArt/Fisher 400/Pastel Premier for me. I tried every pastel paper / board that I could find when I was learning pastels a few years ago and even made my own pastel boards using various grits of aluminum oxide and silicon carbide in acrylic gesso. The true sanded papers (There are only three that I know of) are what I like the best, 280, 320 and 400 grit mostly though I have used them all and like them all. I will just have to take the risk of having flaws with future purchases of UArt for the 280 and 320 grits that I require and may have to go with Fisher 400 if the flaws end up being too great on the UArt.

Regular sandpaper isn't an option for me. The support papers definitely, and possibly the glues used for them are not archival.