WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2017, 11:33 AM

Comments on V2 of vase of flowers pleas

I think I'm nearly done with my second version of the vase of iris and tulips! Must admit that starting it again was a good move as there seems to be move variation in the colours as per the photo. Hovered, the yellow tulips look pretty awful - possibly because I use pale brown for the darker areas! I think I might just live with them at the moment as its taken me ages to redo it! Anyway - would be grateful for any comments anyone would like to make!! Have included the original photo again for ref.

Thanks

Janjoa
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2017, 12:51 PM
A Local Legend
Las Vegas

Hails from United States
Re: Comments on V2 of vase of flowers pleas

My suggestion would be to really darken the dark areas to show more contrast.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2017, 02:14 PM
Enthusiast
Texas

Hails from United States

Much better, but what Wassie said A friend once had an instructor in a drawing class, who said little as he wandered around, looking at students' work except, "Darker, darker!"
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2017, 05:41 AM

Hails from United Kingdom

I definitely think it was worth doing a second version. This one seems to have more life and movement and you've got some really nice detail on the blue irises.

I agree with the others though - there's not enough contrast. You need to be brave and increase the contrast quite a lot in the areas where there isn't much at the moment.

For future interest, with yellow flowers apparently underpainting all your shading in lilac before applying any yellow works great, but I've not tried it myself yet. Does anybody else use that technique for yellow flowers?

Last edited by KaySilver : 10-07-2017 at 05:44 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2017, 02:35 PM
Immortalized
Toronto

Hails from Canada

You have done a terrific job this time, Jane! And you get special admiration for having tackled such a complicated piece of work for the second time... Be proud!

I also think it will be good to increase the dark areas in the irises. As for the tulips, since this time you have preserved the light areas, you can also do a bit of work on the darks, and don't forget to define the stems inside the vase as well.

To darken yellow, you can use a dark violet. I don't remember what pencils you are using, but in Prismacolors it would be the Dahlia Purple, a WARM violet. I used it in the yellow flowers in my signature, and not only as a base, but alternating layers with a very light touch! On the pink you can use Tuscan Red, or a dark violet as well. Take your time and try it on a spare piece of paper first...

It is not the gales, but the set of the sails that determines the way you go - Charles Bell, 1927 - 1974.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2017, 10:01 AM

Thanks everyone - very helpful comments! Will se if I can darken etc and I wish I'd known abut the purple for dark areas in yellow! May be a bit too late for these tulips though as I wthink I've worked them to death - but Definitely not doing the whole thing again!!

But I guess we never stop learning!!

Will repost picture in a couple of weeks when done all I can to it!!

Thanks

Janjoa
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2017, 10:25 AM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

This is really nice. It seems there should be one more step and that is to get the strong contrasts you see in color and value in the reference.
More intensity and darker darks.
Anyway: this is terrific.
Derek
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2017, 12:43 PM

I think I've gone as far as I can with this now! Could probably do with a few more twinges (and a complete rework of the yellow tulips!) but I've decided to stop now before I ruin it - as can happen sometimes if I keep doing little things!

Thanks for all your help - probably back with my next painting!!!

Jane
Attached Images

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2017, 03:08 PM
Immortalized
Toronto

Hails from Canada

I think it is lovely, Jane! Worthy of an excellent final mark!!!

I would only suggest to "liven up" and define the petals a bit on the yellow tulip on the right, and darken some corners on the left one, to unify the shading. Right now it only has one dark area...

Remember: only a light touch in the corners is needed.

Right now its main value is that it looks fresh, not overworked at all. You have done a fantastic job...

It is not the gales, but the set of the sails that determines the way you go - Charles Bell, 1927 - 1974.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2017, 05:45 PM
Enthusiast
Texas

Hails from United States

Looks very nice. Great colors! And much more dramatic with the contrasting values. *Makes note to find Dahlia Purple pencil on next foray*
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2017, 07:58 AM

Thanks for the comments - I'm going to put it in the cupboard now (as its getting a bit stale to me now!) and take a look after I've done my next piece and then I'll look at the changes suggested and see if I think it needs anything else as well!