WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 04:36 PM
A WC! Legend

Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Is technical skill alone enough?

I looked at some paintings lately and although they were technically very well painted, the subject of the paintings lacked something for me.

So I ask, is technical skill alone, enough?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 04:44 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Re: Is technical skill alone enough?

naw, a painting needs some soul ... as does photography

it's not like we can call anyones passport photo art, right

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 05:47 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Ian: I am reminded of movies that have the most fantastic special effects you've ever seen, but the movie as a whole falls flat?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 05:51 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Technical skill alone can be enough as long as, in that technical skill you include application of paint, perspective, atmosphere and composition. It is all technical skill.

Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory ~Dr Suess
My work on Facebook
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 06:32 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoball
Technical skill alone can be enough as long as, in that technical skill you include application of paint, perspective, atmosphere and composition. It is all technical skill.

Yeah! The viewer never needs to know whether you painted it "with soul", as long as your technical painting inspires such feelings in the viewer.

And, that requires application of paint, perspective, atmosphere, and composition, as Sno says. These are all technical skills, and they can be learned, as well as taught.

Last edited by WFMartin : 10-04-2017 at 06:41 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 06:50 PM
Sacramento, CA

Hails from United States

I've been looking at some Robert Liberace figure drawings lately. His technique and style are maybe equivalent to Michelangelo's. His models are fair to good. But I find that his poses are somewhat lacking. I've been looking at a lot of master drawings and you almost never get all three things together.

Unfortunately, this is a particularly common flaw with contemporary figurative artists: great skills but a lack of imagination or appreciation for beautiful and elegant subject matter. That goes for Jacob Collins or Colleen Barry. Their finished works look like excellent figure studies that could be details of better more interesting paintings.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 07:19 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Technical skill alone is not enough as talent is not enough by itself either. Artistry comes when talent is complimented by good technical skill, lot of imagination, good taste and the ability of expressing one itself.
The whole "package" is very difficult to be found in one person and that is the reason why there are IMO very few people that worth the title of a great artist.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovid's Exile
I've been looking at some Robert Liberace figure drawings lately. His technique and style are maybe equivalent to Michelangelo's. His models are fair to good. But I find that his poses are somewhat lacking. I've been looking at a lot of master drawings and you almost never get all three things together.

Unfortunately, this is a particularly common flaw with contemporary figurative artists: great skills but a lack of imagination or appreciation for beautiful and elegant subject matter. That goes for Jacob Collins or Colleen Barry. Their finished works look like excellent figure studies that could be details of better more interesting paintings.

I agree. Some of the well known contemporary artists have great technical skills but their artworks, especially figure paintings and portraits look either soulless or ...pretentiously expressive. ( I don't know how to say it differently- they have something that can't persuade you that what you see is true/exists).
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 08:30 PM
A WC! Legend
A large urban setting in the Mid-West

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Is technical skill alone enough?

Yeah! The viewer never needs to know whether you painted it "with soul", as long as your technical painting inspires such feelings in the viewer.

Bingo! "Soul" or "Emotion" does not exist in the painting. Rather, it exists in the response of the viewer. Is technical skill enough?

These above works are rank among my favorite works of art... and every last one of them is masterful in technique. But I would argue that "masterful technique" is not limited to a single approach (ie. traditional "realism") These works of art are all also quite technically masterful IMO:
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 08:30 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Is technical skill alone enough?

How many works of art do you know of Ian that are poorly realized (technically weak) yet still speak to you powerfully?
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 08:33 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Artistry comes when talent is complimented by good technical skill, lot of imagination, good taste...

To a certain extent, I agree with Picasso's argument that "good taste" is the enemy of great art.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 08:54 PM
Halifax, NS

Hails from Canada

I don't think this is a question one can address in absolutes; there's always two sides to an artistic interaction - that of the artist, and that of the individual viewer. The aesthetic values (and tastes) of both viewers and artists areas varied as the individuals themselves.

I think it's probably more important (as an artist) to ask questions like "What ideas do I want to address in my art?", followed perhaps by "How do I best go about exploring/expressing these ideas?", and then adjust one's practice to whatever answers one determines. If you need a certain skill to do accomplish that, well then, go learn it; otherwise one can leave it for something to play with during one's free time.

FWIW, lots of art leaves me cold, but so what? If the artist and their audience are happy with it, why should I rain on their parade? I'm content to be going the direction that I am.

Cheers;
Chris
Look for yourself, think for yourself, draw your own conclusions. Then own them.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 09:13 PM
Halifax, NS

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlukesguild

How many works of art do you know of Ian that are poorly realized (technically weak) yet still speak to you powerfully?

I think that the first question to address w/r to Ian's question is what is meant by "technically well painted", or (in yours) "poorly realized". This involves a discussions of what standards that were relevant at the time a work is created.

Lots of great artists fail those standards; even Rembrandt was mocked in his own time for failing to achieve a likeness (see Schama, "Rembrandt's Eyes"). That didn't stop him from creating work that had a huge impact on art. Or look at van Gogh; hardly a technical expert by any sense of the word, but his paintings are for many (myself included), quite powerful.

Johns and deKooning though, I could happily do without

Cheers;
Chris
Look for yourself, think for yourself, draw your own conclusions. Then own them.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 09:58 PM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

It depends to some extent what your goals are. Ralph Goings made himself a very comfortable living as world famous artist by producing work that many would complain contains nothing more than technical skill:

Jackson Pollock did the same with work that many would argue contains no more technical skill than a chimp could bring to bear.

I.e. if making money is your goal, you needn't worry, because there is a market out there for anything. I would guess the market for very high level technique is perhaps more stable and reliable.

As for aesthetics, I am fresh out of opinions. Nobody knows what the "magic ingredient" is that makes one work stand out so much from other, similar works in the same genre or even by the same artist. Or, we can point it out in specific works but can't really formulate a "general theory of outstandingness." If we could, we would all have been great artists.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 10:00 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianuk
I looked at some paintings lately and although they were technically very well painted, the subject of the paintings lacked something for me.

So I ask, is technical skill alone, enough?

Ian, I think you have answered your own question in asking it. Clearly, at least in the case of these paintings, technical skill alone was not enough.