WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 10:40 AM

Hails from Canada
Favorite sealer and why

What sealer do you prefer to seal acrylics on paper and do you use the same when sealing acrylics on board or canvas ?

I have heard of the following being a good choice for sealing acrylics on paper:

Liquitex gloss medium and varnish
Golden soft gloss medium

Last edited by Theodude : 10-04-2017 at 10:43 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 10:24 PM

Hails from Canada
Re: Favorite sealer and why

PS are all acrylic gel mediums sealers ( of acrylic paint ) ?
Are matte gel mediums sealers ?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2017, 05:19 AM
Pahoa, Hawaii

Hails from United States

Liquitex Gloss Medium & Varnish and Golden GAC 500 are both attractive as clear, shiny isolation coats over completed acrylic paintings. I don't like gel mediums as sealers because they leave brushstrokes. Matte mediums or matte gels are not completely transparent and can slightly dull or cloud your painting.

All acrylics seal fairly well, but if you really want to seal something, several coats of Golden's Polymer Gloss Medium or Golden's GAC 100 work the best. They are what I use when sealing wood panels and for sealing paper that I'm going to oil paint over. I do not use them over my finished acrylic paintings, just as undercoats.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2017, 10:05 AM

Hails from Canada

Tanya B,
It's interesting to know what to use to seal the surface to be painted on. Apparently, 2 or 3 coats of gesso won't adequately seal Masonite for instance. A sealer such as those you suggested should be used first.
Question: What is the optimal drying time for those sealers before applying gesso ?

Last edited by Theodude : 10-05-2017 at 10:07 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2017, 10:17 AM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

Can't find the reference to support my post, so never mind.

Last edited by cliff.kachinske : 10-05-2017 at 10:24 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2017, 10:26 AM
A WC! Legend
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

This is one of those things where people have their own favourite way of doing things. Best thing would be to read up on the products and consider things like what kind of finish you want, do you prefer brushing or spraying, and does it matter to you if the varnish is removable.

You can probably use the same thing on paper that you use on other surfaces.

My bottle of GAC 100 doesn't mention drying time. I usually give it a day. Someone mentioned they make a new product that is supposed to be better but I forget which it is.

mkmcreations.com
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2017, 06:34 PM
Pahoa, Hawaii

Hails from United States

Quote:
My bottle of GAC 100 doesn't mention drying time. I usually give it a day. Someone mentioned they make a new product that is supposed to be better but I forget which it is.

Golden Acrylics recommends allowing at least three days for acrylic products to fully dry before painting on them with oils. Of course, you don't have to wait that long before painting on them with other acrylics, just wait until they are completely dry to the touch.

According to Golden, Golden Gloss Medium (formerly known as Golden Polymer Medium Gloss) is actually a little better than GAC 100 at sealing, but both are fine. They recommend 2 to 3 coats.

This info was in a Just Paint article about Golden Open Acrylics, SID, and shellac because apparently Golden Open Acrylics dissolve shellac-based primers and sealers commonly used on hardboard panels, resulting in SID (support induced discoloration) of the paint from the wood. Regular acrylics do not have this problem with shellac primers.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2017, 08:38 AM

Hails from Canada

Thank you for all the important to know information !
Update: I bought Golden gloss polmer vanish with uvls yesterday. They have satin and matte finish available. However I prefer brighter deeper colors for most subjects. I can see how matte or satin finish might fit in for larger works though.
I didn't buy the gac100 because I wanted more information so it looks like, according to information here , that Golden gel medium is a slightly better sealer. I have saved a lot of precut pieces of Masonite and wood so that's important to know. I won't be using any shellac because I sometimes use Golden open medium with my acrylic tube paints.

Last edited by Theodude : 10-06-2017 at 08:42 AM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2017, 10:47 AM

Hails from Canada

PS should read Golden gloss medium ( formerly Golden polymer medium gloss ) and not Golden gel medium.

Last edited by Theodude : 10-06-2017 at 10:50 AM.