WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Sculpture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 11:30 AM
Buffalo

Hails from United States
Acrylic on Flagstone

I asked this question elsewhere and didn't find the replies all that helpful. I thought as Sculptors who make work with stone that perhaps this might be a good place to ask.

I did an acrylic painting on a piece of flagstone. I gessoed two coats, painted two coats, and then sealed it with Rust_Oleum thinking since this is outside that it needed protection. Didn't work and seems to be flaking. Can folks suggest what to seal a painting on stone with? I've now heard I should use Krylon or something called Raingaurd Pro. Any thoughts?

Thank you.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2017, 05:52 PM

Re: Acrylic on Flagstone

Hope you'll get some answers to your question. I wonder if cement paint would work for that, roughing up the flagstone a bit with a dremel to give some teeth for the paint to soak into. Then cleaning it with something like denatured alcohol or white vinegar.

I am sure your painting would be beautiful on a beautiful flagstone canvas! You just don't want it flaking off, right?!

My website My Blog Join me on Facebook
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2017, 06:21 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyC
I asked this question elsewhere and didn't find the replies all that helpful. I thought as Sculptors who make work with stone that perhaps this might be a good place to ask.

I did an acrylic painting on a piece of flagstone. I gessoed two coats, painted two coats, and then sealed it with Rust_Oleum thinking since this is outside that it needed protection. Didn't work and seems to be flaking. Can folks suggest what to seal a painting on stone with? I've now heard I should use Krylon or something called Raingaurd Pro. Any thoughts?

Thank you.

What is flaking off, the sealer, the acrylic paint, or both?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2017, 02:24 PM
Buffalo

Hails from United States

The paint is flaking off after being pelted by heavy rain. I am looking at possibly using Rainguard micro seal or acrylic urethane sealer.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2017, 09:31 AM
Buffalo

Hails from United States

Just as a follow up to folks who responded. I feel like I'm becoming a chemist trying to understand all of this, just so that I can give a friend a piece of garden art. But here it is: After searching and searching all kinds of sites and information about painting on stone, the consensus so far is that the stone should be primed with a cement primer and top coated with my acrylic paints (haven't even gone into looking at enamels yet), and sealed with an acrylic urethane. Thus far all of that advice has been researched with an eye toward to the least toxic options. I think I have found my solution although only time will tell. First the primer: gesso or cement primer? Well, it turns out that gesso is not all that different from cement primer (keeping with water based products). A water based cement primer is an acrylic copolymer. So is gesso. For the sealant I hear two things; get a car paint sealer or a cement sealer. I've looked more into the cement sealer than the car paint sealer for two reasons: 1) car sealer sounds more toxic when I read about it and 2) it seems wiser to use a product that is made for the material I am using--stone. So I've gone with Rainguard Clear Seal acrylic urethane. You can get it in gloss, satin or matt I believe. I did gesso the stone first. I have the standard high gloss gallon of Clear Seal. I've applied 6 very thin coats to the paintings. It looks fabulous and feels good. I left it out in the rain all day yesterday and no water got into or under the paint and it retained its gloss with no flaking. Of course that's only one day and we're getting down into freezing temperatures now so continued testing will have to wait until spring. I have advised my friends that this is three season art only. The Clear Seal finish is supposed to be guaranteed for three years, so I am assuming anything sealed with this cannot be guaranteed for any longer than that, but it's good to know the life of the sealant and that it can be resealed if desired. Thanks for listening folks. Maybe I'll come back next year and let you know how the artwork survives. I'll post two pictures here so you can see what my friends are putting in their back yards and gardens.

Last edited by PattyC : 11-06-2017 at 09:45 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2017, 09:42 AM
Buffalo

Hails from United States

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2017, 09:43 AM
Buffalo

Hails from United States

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2017, 02:26 AM
Enthusiast

Love the Koi. It sounds like you did a great job researching all this. I hope they hold up well for you!

It might be a good plan to recoat with the clear every three years, or sooner if they start to show signs of breaking down.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-15-2017, 01:29 AM

You put a lot of effort into figuring out the right primer and finish for this project. Your friends must know you love them.

My website My Blog Join me on Facebook