WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 10:39 AM
North Carolina

Hails from United States
Mountain Meadow - Help

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Mountain Meadow - Help
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11 x 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
pretty happy with the mountains and sky.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Please help with what I can do to change or improve the field and flowers
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 01:23 PM
Lord of the Arts
Oregon

Hails from United States
Re: Mountain Meadow - Help

Is that just some glare on the left side mountain, or is it painted brighter on that edge?
A focal usually has the shaper edges, brighter colors , more detailed more contrast ...
Your mountains are nice , but edges are sharp so they seem closer & draw the eye, plus the bright area on the left edge..
usually don't want an attention grabber close to an edge..

You could try a bit of mist or fog at base of mountains behind the greens to push them back more. A thin glaze of a very soft muted blue/white mix (mostly white with tint of blue) .

A simple way to bring attention back to the flowers , is use thick straight clean color on tip of your brush , plan where you want it & and just dab it on and leave it alone..
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 01:58 PM
North Carolina

Hails from United States

Thanks. Yes that's the glare from camera.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Monterey Bay area, California

Actually, I like the left mountain being brighter. After all, the sky is only partly cloudly, and the sun has to shine somewhere. It's true that having the lightest area at the edge leads the eye away, but after all, that is the nature of the landscape here.

The foreground and mid-ground could use some color adjustment. Can probably be done as glazes in oils, if you have transparent colors. Don't do this with white or with Cadmiums, or other opaque colors.

The foreground flowers are a bit too crimson. I think they look better as scarlet. This can be adjusted with a very thin glaze of a transparent yellow or yellow-orange. Actually, the glaze can be applied over the entire foreground and midground, right up to the base of the mountains.

I also suggest that the midground be de-saturated a bit, with a slight hint of cyan in the distance. Could be achieved with a very thin glaze of whatever color you have that is most transparent neutral gray, with a hint of cyan.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 03:27 PM
North Carolina

Hails from United States

Thanks. Great tips