WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2017, 10:44 PM
A WC! Legend

widescreen canvases?

More and more, we are used to widescreen... movies, tv's, cell phone reference photos, ....I'm finding traditional canvases too boxy for what I want to paint. Anyone else feel this way?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 05:51 AM
A Local Legend
Ĺrhus

Hails from Denmark
Re: widescreen canvases?

Heck, sometimes I don't even want a widescreen. I've painted square, rectangular, super long, round, oval, in the shape of jigsaws and other objects...

http://www.artallison.com/
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 07:53 AM
A WC! Legend

I've never really understood widescreen. What's the point of it when I have to watch a widescreen movie with black areas at the top and bottom of a widescreen TV. I suppose one could paint these black areas on a canvas giving a real life feel.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 11:11 AM
A WC! Legend
A large urban setting in the Mid-West

Hails from United States

C'mon Ian... surely you know that widescreen format is used on TVs in order to show the entire format some films were shot in. You can't get those broad panoramas of Lawrence of Arabia when seen in the usual format edited for television. The problem is that films have been shot in a broad array of formats... check out Abel Gance's Napoleon... but TVs come in a single screen size.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 11:39 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Halifax, NS

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinasia
More and more, we are used to widescreen... movies, tv's, cell phone reference photos, ....I'm finding traditional canvases too boxy for what I want to paint. Anyone else feel this way?

I don't; I tend to select the canvas to fit the idea rather than the other way round, so I work in a variety of sizes and aspect ratios. OTOH, I haven't been to a movie in years; don't watch much TV, and rarely use photo references.

Cheers;
Chris
Look for yourself, think for yourself, draw your own conclusions. Then own them.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 12:04 PM
A WC! Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlukesguild
C'mon Ian... surely you know that widescreen format is used on TVs in order to show the entire format some films were shot in. You can't get those broad panoramas of Lawrence of Arabia when seen in the usual format edited for television. The problem is that films have been shot in a broad array of formats... check out Abel Gance's Napoleon... but TVs come in a single screen size.

I stretch 4.3 formatted to 16.9, nothing like seeing a tall good looking actor or actress look like an ordinary person in the street. Sturdy, I call it. Makes the actresses look a little broad in the beam, so to speak. Quite quaint to watch though.

I've actually bought wide canvases and usually painted on them length ways. I've seen many wide canvases in my local Store.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 12:36 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Mary: I think the problem with widescreen (well, not really a problem) is that the subject would have to fit that wide expanse: Landscape, seascape, city scape, abstraction etc.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinasia

Ironically filmmakers have no choice but are forced to use the widescreen aspect for everything they film. So rather than choosing an aspect to fit the subject, they have to devise a way to make the subject fit the aspect. Sort of the opposite way most painters tend to think.

I know when just looking at BLANK canvases the widescreen seems appealing because we see so many widescreens (video, computer) that it is now the default, the new normal aspect to "frame" pictures.

But keep in mind, when people look at paintings, they are looking at them hanging on walls - and the size and aspect of a painting has to fit the gestalt of the room - which is not necessarily widescreen.

Also I think it could be an advantage to NOT make widescreen paintings. You don't want a painting to be subconsciously viewed as "just another screen" but as a BREAK from that, something different something special.