WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Fiber Arts
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2017, 03:47 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States
Spinzilla 2017

Oct 2 - 8 is a fiber spinning event sponsored by The National Needlearts Association. During one week teams of spinners compete to make the most yarn. Much of this is organized through Ravelry - or at least that is where you can find threads about the teams.

The event is a fundraiser for TNNA programs for kids.

Someone sponsors a team - there is a hefty charge / donation for it. Then individuals sign up for the team, at $15 per person. I am on Team Clemes and Clemes. The Clemes family make tools and equipment for spinners, and they are based just outside of San Francisco in the town of Pinole. Take a little tour of their website, if you are curious about the beautiful wheels and drum carders they make. http://www.clemes.com/

Our team is focused on having fun. Some of us will gather at a public park on Wednesday. I love the idea of getting together to spin, and especially in public, where it generates curiousity.

Chime in if you are a spinner!

Jen
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2017, 07:44 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States
Re: Spinzilla 2017

Good luck with the competition. It would be lovely to see some pictures of your spinning group in the park.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2017, 06:14 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Spinzilla was fun....a week where I just HAD to spin. I ended up doing 8,634 yards - 4.9 miles. My husband got a good laugh out of that!

I need to see if I can find a photo from the park - I thought I took some, but they are not in my photo file. Hmm. Maybe in my text messages.

This is my final output:

and here is one of some of the fiber I had prepped. These are puffs of wool which I hand combed, and put in gradation order. They are from two multi-colored Romney sheep.

Jen
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2017, 08:36 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Seeing all this lovely wool I wish my hands could spin. I've tried, but an old injury prevents me doing so. These are just gorgeous, what are you going to make with all the yarn?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2017, 11:40 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

No idea!!!