WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Fiber Arts
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2017, 10:17 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States
Stitch in Time October 2017

Fall is definitely here. The temperatures have dropped considerably. We've had frost one night. And, it's raining, a lot. DH has cleaned the flue for the wood stove but didn't bring any wood into the house for me. He has promised to do so on his next off days. I'm fine. We have an oil stove and electrical heating I can use for now. It's just the wood heat is so much better at keeping the house warm.

DH has decided to go to night shift, at least till the end of the year. I've been trying to match his schedule. It's weird. I've never worked night shift before. Mostly it's been ok. Well, except for the medical stuff the last month. That's all behind me now. I'm feeling a whole lot better overall and am looking forward to getting back to my creative pursuits.

Hope everyone is doing well. Do you have plans for making gifts for the holidays this year? I'd be lovely to see what everyone is doing.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2017, 04:40 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States
Re: Stitch in Time October 2017

Hi all! Happy October.

Our temperatures here in San Francisco are going up and down. Very odd. And I was in the Sierra two weeks ago when it snowed. Go figure.

Debby, I bet it feels very counterintuitive to live a night work schedule. Glad to hear you a feeling better. That is a step forward.

Today begins Spinzilla 2017. This is a fundraising event with wool spinning teams from around the world.Each is trying to spin as many yards/ miles/ meters/ kilometers as possible in a week. And have as much fun as possible. I've been prepping fiber for the last week or more, so that I can use my free time to simple spin. I'll let you know how I progress. It is sponsored by the National Needle Arts Association. I'll go make a thread about it, just so others might learn more.

In the meantime I am working on two art quilts, well actually 3. But two of them are targeting for a Call for Art, Guns: A Loaded Conversation. Likelihood of getting accepted in VERY small, given my experience to date with these international calls.But upcoming exhibitions always give me something to think about and work toward.

The world news through the last month or two has been hard. Spinning and creative projects are the best way to me to keep life feeling in balance.

Jen
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2017, 08:52 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Jen, good luck with the Spinzilla fund raiser. I agree, fiber arts, actually any art, is a great way to restore balance in your life. The world seems to be falling apart and it's very stressful.

On that note, I was very glad to hear that my son and daughter-in-law were not on the Strip in Las Vegas the other night. They were safely home nursing colds. I'm not happy they were ill, but extremely happy they were out of danger.

I finished my herd of rainbow unicorns. I plan on taking pictures tonight. I'm actually surprised that I'm doing so much working at night. DH says it's because I'm completely out of my "normal" routine so am creating new ones. Even tho' I'm awake the same amount of time, I feel like I have so much more time to do things with this schedule. Part of it is no one is calling me. I talk to mom in the early evening and there are no solicitation phone calls coming in. When the phone rings, it's DH and he just checks that I'm doing ok.

With being home at night alone I've talked to DH about getting a dog. We were going to wait until he was retired to add a dog to the household. But, I'll feel safer alone at night with a canine companion. We need to get the yard fenced first, but he agreed we should move up the time table. We'll go to the animal shelter and rescue a dog when we have everything in place.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2017, 10:30 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Debby, I can see what your husband means, about your creating new routines. And that it includes few interruptions from the phone, and other things. Funny, but I think of the night time as a protected time - that is, you don't expect to go out and do errands, clean out the garbage area etc.

Aa for Spinzilla, I am, well, spinning away. Somewhat distracted by some of my own demands of house, life etc. But I have managed to spin 5,634 yards as of this afternoon. Now WHAT percentage of a mile is that????

Jen
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2017, 08:27 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Jen, the current schedule with DH is resulting in us waking up about 3 in the afternoon. We've got a couple of hours before he has to be at work at 6pm. That is the time we are doing what I call chores. Those pesky things that need to get done. By the time I've gotten him off to work, called mom and heard that he's at work ok, I'm free of most chores for the day. That leaves me nearly 12 hours of time to do my own things. As long as I'm feeling well, I can fill the time with sewing and art. As to the length of yarn... a mile is 1760 yards. So, you've done 3.2 miles of yarn. I'm impressed!

Just got my latest commission mailed off and I get another request. This one is for my pocket dragons. I don't currently have a red one and that was what the customer wanted. So, I'm making a couple of them. I'll send one to the customer and add the other to the shop as a regular offering. That's the 3rd commission in a row. I'm not complaining. It's certainly keeping me busy.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2017, 10:21 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

Here it is Friday the 13th and I haven't been on here in so long that WetCanves made me sign in. I really don't have a good excuse for not being on. I just am not on the computer like I use tol.

Pat has had one skin cancer removed on his arm with stitches that gives him a 6 inch scar. He will go back on Tuesday to have the stitches removed and then have the surgery on the cancer on his back. Hopefully that will be the end.

My primary doctor retired or at least is not working here any more so have spend several days this week trying to find a new doctor. Most doctors are not taking new patients until sometime next year. I finally found one doctor who is new to the area and is taking new patients and will see him next week. He is only 47 years old, which is younger than any of my kids.

I have been doing some sewing again. Mostly at night which is a good time to work in the quiet. Debby, I like the night for working. No calls and only the cat to bother me. With Pat working nights, I have pretty much got into sleeping days. If I do have to be up during the day, I usually will nap around 5pm.

I made a couple of outfits last week and this week I have 2 more that just need the finish work done. It feels good to be sewing but I have to watch it because I only have the one eye that I can use for the computer or sewing so it gets very tired. Only can work about an hour at a time.

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2017, 07:02 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Eva, so glad you decided to come back and talk to us. Happy to hear and see you are sewing again. Slow and steady is the way to go. Hope Pat recovers well from his surgeries. Those outfits are darling. Sometimes we just have to slow down and do short times for what we like to do. Don't over do so your eye can still work for you.

Got the little dragon off to it's new home. I'm all caught up on the critters. (Yay!) With the newest batch of critters I used up the very last of some lovely wool roving I'd bought and was looking thru the wool I'd been given by a spinner. The wool wasn't soft at all. It was stiff and coarse. Stuffing the tiny critter wasn't fun at all. *sigh* About 16 to 18 months ago, I bought some wool batting from another company. The idea being I could use the sheets to roll the wood into cylinders around a stick for stuffing into limbs on dolls. Opened up the box. Realized I missed getting the receipt for my taxes last year. And, discovered how terrible the wool was. It's full of grass bits and other unidentifiable stuff. I tried carding it because I've been able to salvage some wool doing so. This stuff doesn't card, it clumps and the foreign objects stay stuck in the wool matrix. Horrid, horrid stuff. I've purchased more wool. Roving from the company I purchased from before and a pound of batting to try from an Etsy seller. Both arrived yesterday. Such beautiful, soft, clean wool! I'm inspired to make something. As to the yucky wool... I will be donating it to a local charity. Maybe someone else can make use of it. There are quilters and spinners in the area.
Save
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2017, 12:40 AM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Eva, so glad to see you back...and sewing again. Yea.

Yes, Debby, there will be someone out there who will work with the bad wool.

In the meantime I am slowly plugging away at wedding related projects, despite my being lured to spin by the fleeces I have here. Just did another batch of natural dye with carrot tops - gives a nice warm yellow, a bit toward a mustard color.

Jen
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2017, 09:27 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Jen, when is the wedding scheduled? Are you making the wedding gown as well?

I've been so thankful that nothing has been happening to me medically for a few weeks now. I actually have some energy and motivation to be doing stuff. Granted there are house things that need doing that have been neglected the last several months, but I'm feeling the need to get my hands on some fabric and fiber. To that end, I've pulled out my needle felting supplies. I've got nothing to show yet because I need to be very careful with my wrists. But, yay! doing fiber stuff.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2017, 03:21 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Ah, temperatures have cooled, and the local fires are finally backing down. It has been a serious situation, from homes lost to air quality.

Yes, Debby, I am making the wedding dress. And tails for 9 goats, ties for the ski bum groomsmen, an art quilt version of the traditional Jewish wedding contract - ketubah - trees and wild felted fiber table decor, ah, yes, and a vest for the groom. Hmmm, how did all this happen?

The dress is extremely simple BUT the free motion sitiching my daughter requested has given me fits. Stitch tension issues. The thinness of the silk - it is an overdress hanging over a satin - is an issue, despite the stabilizer. SO I am just reminding myself that no one will be getting down to floor level to see the stitching!

Otherwise, I am up to my usual madness of also trying to get 2 pieces ready for a show submission. And prepping for a day workshop in graphic facilitation.

Yes, I do sleep (someone asked me that yesterday at my art critique group). In fact, I often take naps!

Jen
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2017, 02:42 AM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Jen, 9 goats! Wow, that's quite a herd. I'm guessing all the sewing for the wedding party happened because you sew very well and your daughter wants a unique wedding. Good luck with all of that. And anyone getting down on floor level to see the stitching will probably be cross-eyed from partying and won't see straight at that point anyway. We will want to see pictures of all of this. What show are you submitting to this time?

I've been, with some trepidation, returning to the doll making arena. I want a certain look to the doll and, honestly, my previous dolls are not it. So, I've been doing some research on needle felting and needle sculpting. Now, to practice and hopefully one or a combination of both will give me the look I want. Work is happening, but I've got nothing to show just yet.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2017, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

Well I am back. Home from visiting my youngest daughter and her new to me live in boyfriend. I had a great time on the coast. We only got rained on once and it was warm enough one day to walk in the ocean on the beach.

He has a 2 year old son from a previous relationship and we had him for the Thanksgiving weekend (first monday in October in canada) Where do those little bodies get so much energy??? He liked the hat I knitted for him. Luc was almost in tears at the idea that I had knitted a hat for William. My daughter laughed and said that soon they will both be drowning in knitted items.
He is a nice guy. I would have preferred someone with more career prospects but at least he is employed and he looks after her when she is sick or has an emotional meltdown (she has thyroid problems so the two are linked) (note they are the Viking couple I made the the costumes for last Xmas) Besides she has a decent job now and just got promoted so eventually she will be able to afford a toy boy.

I had hoped I would be there for the awesome leave change but it was so warm this fall there the leaves are confused. So no photos of dayglow neon trees this time.

Jen: You really have your work cut out there - costumes for goats?!??!!?

Debbie: Night shift can be very productive because people don't call at random times.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2017, 08:54 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, sounds like a great visit with your daughter and her new boy. Sounds like the weather was wonderful. Sorry about the lack of fall foliage. It'll get there eventually. And the only phone calls I get at night are my over-protective DH checking to make sure I'm ok.

I'm still slowly needle felting a doll head. It's slow going since I've never done it quite like this before. I've got a chin and a nose bump. I'm stymied with the lip detail. I'm moving onto cheeks while I figure out the lips.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2017, 12:21 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

Happy Halloween weekend. Nothing much going on here this month. Pat had more skin cancer removed and Tuesday should be the last of the stitches removed. That should take care of all the cancers for a year.

I have been sewing off and on and even sold some dresses. Can only work at it for less than an hour and then have to rest the eyes. The same is true for being on the computer so much of my time is laying down with my eyes closed and listening to the tv.

Here are a couple of the outfits that I did.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2017, 08:19 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Eva, a shame you can only work for a short time. But, the little dresses are darling. Awesome you sold some. Take care of yourself, rest those eyes as needed.

I've given up on needle felting. It triggers the tendonitis in my wrist. I ended up doing nothing for several days while the pain subsided. Obviously I will not be doing needle felted doll heads, even tho' that method, in theory, should give me the look I want. *sigh* I'm watching videos for needle sculpting heads, even got a book. All the faces are painted (well, paint, ink, colored pencil, etc.) I'm looking to embroider the detail with cotton or silk, keeping my dolls made of natural fibers. All the faces I've seen needle sculpted seem to be character faces rather than natural faces. Putting a call out to Lena, do you know of any resources on natural looking features rather than exaggerations?