WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > WC Site Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2017, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member

Find all posts by and Search by user name are sporadic

I find the option to "Find all posts by" when you click on a users name here on WC, or to use the advanced search to "Search by user name" - to often be helpful when looking for information on various topics or for looking for one of my own posts that I did not set any notification for. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I am guessing it doesn't work about 25% of the time for me.

When it doesn't, this error message is displayed:

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Is there any known cause why that is so? I only found one thread where that question was back back in 2012 and no answer was given.

--------------------------------------------

If any of you are also having problems with this WC feature, there is a way around it. Simply use the Google site: search function from google.com. You can also use this to find very specific information that you may not be able to otherwise. Below is how you type in a site search looking for the word Dibond in google for the entire WC forum. For a particular user, substitute their exact user name for the word Dibond in the text below. You can try it with and without the quotes for varied results, especially if the search if for a phrase rather than a particular word or user name.

site:www.wetcanvas.com/forums "dibond"

Using the search above in Google produces 403 hits.

When trying to use the Google site: function on an individual forum, it does not work correctly for some reason. There are numerous posts in the Oil painting / The Technical Forum that refer to Dibond, but using the search as shown below, which is the address for The Technical Forum, only produces three results, so you are basically stuck with searching all the WC forums in order to be able to find what is really there if the search on WC is not working for you.

site:www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=491 "dibond"

Using the search above only produced 3 hits. If you use the "Search this forum" option on WC produced 53 hits. Though several times when I tried that it said

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Last edited by contumacious : 10-01-2017 at 05:06 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2017, 07:19 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Find all posts by and Search by user name are sporadic

It doesn't take much to throw the wc search off. I use Google Advanced search if I know what I am looking for.

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2017, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

Re: Find all posts by and Search by user name are sporadic

Thanks Doug.