WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2017, 12:35 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States
'Round the Campfire ~ October

Hello everyone. Happy October! It's feeling cool and crisp outside here lately, and I, for one, am enjoying the fresh, dry air after a very humid summer.

(From September's thread.)

Hi Kay. Congratulations on your upcoming commission of the half-wolf dog. I'll bet it's a beautiful dog! Hope you can get good photos...bad photos can be so challenging!

Hi Jo. Glad you're getting some needed rain. We've been getting our much-needed sunshine and dry weather at last! And hey, your Scavenger Hunts sure do count as art!

Hi Ron. Wow, your studio setup is incredible! Very clever, and I'll bet you love working there. When it comes to studio space, a well-laid-out, organized workspace can make it much more appealing to spend time there, don't you think? It's awesome!

Hi ntl. Thanks. It's looking like rain this week, but we're hoping it fizzles out and stays dry. Thank you so much for hosting the September Monthly Challenge for us! I think it's safe to say that your photos inspired us all. I wish I'd had time to participate. Great work, and I hope you'll host for us again sometime.

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2017, 12:29 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States
Re: 'Round the Campfire ~ October

Jenna, thanks for the new campfire! I'm not nearly as late as usual!

Hope you stayed dry. We have the house open tonight, first time in months. That means it is 74 degrees or less outside. It was about 91 today. No fall colors for sure.

We had a good quiet weekend.
Winston Churchill
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2017, 01:01 AM
Veteran Member
Northern CA

Hails from United States

October is here and it's time for coffee and ... donuts!

So glad the hot summer months are behind us. Really enjoying the cooler weather, but not a drop of rain yet here in No. Calif.

The next 6 weeks are going to be crazy starting tomorrow. I have a paint out in the morning, delivering 2 paintings to the City Hall for a show at noon, and then going to help hang a show in another location. Taking down a show on Wednesday. On Friday is our last Art Walk of the year and reception for a Studio Tour on Oct. 14-15. The list goes on. Lots of fun and lots of work.

Jo, 91 isn't exactly cool, but I'm glad your evenings are cooling off. Seems easier to tolerate the warm days when you get a break at night.

Jenna, glad you're getting some cooler weather, too. I love fall.

Create!!
I just push the paint around while the painting pushes me.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2017, 09:46 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Rick, good to see you! Wow, you are busy. That is great, it means you are painting and doing well. Hope you get enough rain to break the drought with no problems.

We have friends near Portland, Or., and they have been smelling and breathing smoke all summer. My cousin in Montana, the same. Ouch!

We are fine here.

Hi to all y'all.
Winston Churchill
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 03:28 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Hello Jenna, Jo, and Rick!

Temps are slowly inching back up to the mid to high 80s and more humidity here due to recent heavy rains. Ugh!

Upcoming workshop with Bob Burridge in Lubbock TX next week so must check out box of acrylics in tubes I hardly ever use...my luck they'll be dried out. On his supply list he asks us to bring 2 gessoed full watercolor sheets per day, total of 8, plus canvases. That's a lot for only 4 days!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2017, 10:52 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Kay, this last week we have had the most beautiful mornings, but still hitting 90 in the afternoon. Yuck is right!

They opened "my" gallery in La Grange, TX, yesterday. It is beautiful. I did not get any photos will do so next time I go and when I ever take some art to hang. They moved Art Connections Gallery from Bastrop to La Grange. It is now 40 miles away instead of 12, sigh. Hope it works out. La Grange is where we go to music and don't see many people out and about in the evenings. Hope it is better in the daylight!

Maybe that will inspire me to paint, hope so!

I'm looking for the donuts ... somebody ate them all. Guess I'll put some homemade peanut butter chocolate chip cookies here.

Later, all y'all.
Winston Churchill
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2017, 12:27 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi everyone. Hope you're all having a nice October so far. It's been rainy here, but today is sunny and beautiful. It doesn't look too exciting regarding fall color, but I want to take a walk with my camera one day anyway, just in case. We haven't had the first frost yet, which, in Wisconsin, is saying something. It's been great, because our delayed and sluggish crops have really had this generous extra time and heat to mature and dry down properly. We're really grateful for that!

Hi Jo. I hope it gets more comfortable for you soon. I'm not a fan of very hot temps, though humidity is worse! Congratulations on the new gallery! I can't wait to see pictures! Please do keep us posted in that. You do such beautiful work!

Hi Rick. Sounds like things are really clicking along with your art events and galleries and shows! That's so wonderful! I hope things are selling and doing great! My last couple of shows have been decent, though the art show veterans have been saying that sales are down some. My next show is in mid-November, and I'm hoping for a rush of Christmas shoppers.

Hi Kay. Your workshop sounds like a blast! I've only been able to take in one art workshop so far, and it was Mike Sibley's drawing class. What a great and fun experience that was! I hope you have a lot of fun and paint a bunch.

Hello to everyone else. Thanks for the donuts and cookies! Now that I've had some coffee, it's time to go make art. Happy Sunday!

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2017, 10:14 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

It was a great Sunday acrylics demo watching Bob Burridge paint here in Lubbock Tex. He makes it look so easy. Hope your day was great.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2017, 12:31 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Happy Friday the 13th!

Nothing going on here. Going to music tonight and tomorrow night.

Hope all of you are being artsy....I need inspiration!

Have a good weekend.
Winston Churchill
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2017, 02:22 AM
Veteran Member
Northern CA

Hails from United States

Went to an Artists Coffee today as a preview for the new show that began today. The Artists Reception is actually Oct. 21 and is open to the public. This was just for the artists to discuss their work. Fun time.

This weekend is the Newcastle Studio Tour. I set up for it this morning. I plan to do demos both days. This traditionally is a busy tour so we will see how much time there really is to paint.

Terrible fires in Northern California, as you have probably heard. The closest is about 30 miles away, so we should be safe in this area. 5700 structures destroyed and at least 35 people killed. Unfortunately, there are about 21 fires in different areas and most are far from being contained. We need rain badly.
I just push the paint around while the painting pushes me.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2017, 10:42 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

A good weekend, chilly now in Alto, NM. Ruidoso is finishing up its annual Cowboy Symposium held at the racetrack. Our neighbors from Texas and other couples we know drove up for the event.

Rick, be careful where you are. Prayers for all lately who have been impacted by hurricanes and fires.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2017, 11:33 AM
A WC! Legend
Punta Gorda FL

Hails from United States

Kay - when we lived in Santa Fe we went to the Cowboy Chuck-wagon cook off held on the racetrack a great time!!!!!!! The food was fantastic!!!!!!!
http://painterofthesouthwest.blogspot.com/
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2017, 12:15 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi everyone. I hope you are all staying safe and well. I've got fresh chocolate chip cookies and coffee for anyone interested.

Hi Kay. I'm so glad the workshop was a lot of fun. Did you get some acrylic paintings of your own done in the workshop? We'd love to see them.

Hi Jo. I hope you find some inspiration soon. My grandpa Jim was born on a Friday the 13th...and he's perfectly normal. I think it's kind of cute how there's such superstition about Friday the 13ths, don't you? I also have an uncle who was born on a leap year on February 29th. On non-leap years, he lets his birthday be on March 1.

Hi Rick. Oh dear, I hope you're staying safe. 30 miles must feel uncomfortably close. Take care of yourself and be safe. I'm glad to hear your art continues to thrive. You really work hard for art, and I'm sure it pays off. Way to go!

Hi Richard. I hope you continue to find inspiration from your vacation. That Chuck Wagon Cookoff sounds so delicious!

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2017, 05:22 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Rick, stay safe, those fires move so fast. If they say go .... go!

Prayers for all the survivors of all the tragedies. Wow.

Kay, fun at the racetrack sounds great.

Hi Richard! (And all the rest!)

Jenna, mmm, cookies. I find superstitions funny and weird, too. Some folks sure have problems with them. The only holiday or off day folks we have is 3 birthdays on the 4th of July, counting our oldest. Poor Joanna, she thought the fireworks were for her birthday until she was about 6.

Cool weather for a couple of days, had the doors and windows open. Warm again tomorrow. All fine here.
Winston Churchill
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2017, 11:10 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Well we did 16 acrylic paintings last week for the grand total. Whew! Finally catching up on my rest and sleep. Good sunny weather here back in the Lone Star state. Today @ 5 pm, our local art association meets downtown to do an hour or two of plein air sketching. Fun!