WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2017, 11:40 AM
Enthusiast
Greater London

Hails from United Kingdom
Inktober 2017?

I was wondering if anyone here was taking part to Inktober this year?

As I've just fallen into my first bottle of ink, I'm really excited about it. I've sketched scenes from The Full Monty because of its brilliant cast and composition. Lots of rather complex scenes for my level of draftsmanship -- I might be pushing myself a bit too far, but we'll see.

My first one is a mess, anatomically speaking. That poor nose. I mixed dip pens and brushes, which was a mistake as I can't get the same intensity. It looks a bit higgledy-piggledy. Oh well. Live and learn.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2017, 12:17 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States
Re: Inktober 2017?

Looks good Raindrop.

I haven't decided if I will try to do this year or not, I have not been drawing at all so my skills are very rusty, I know all the more reason why I should try.

However for those who do want to play below is a link to the Inktober web site, there is a list of daily prompts for those who like to work from prompts, besides posting here for those on facebook there is an inktober page where you can post your work. If you put Inktober in the search bar it should come up. Have fun.

INKTOBER
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2017, 01:17 PM
Enthusiast

I have decided to do it this year. I am rustu too but this can be a way to get back on track.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2017, 07:19 PM

I did a quick sketch this morning for Inktober. I have fun doing P&I but don't really know what I'm doing. I'm hoping doing a few Inktober entries will help me learn more.

Do we start separate threads for each one or should we post them all here?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2017, 08:21 PM
st louis mo, usa

Hails from United States

can someone inform me of what Inktober is?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2017, 09:16 PM

^It's basically just a pen and ink illustration event that happens annually in October.

I'm trying to participate but there is no way I will be able to do it daily. I'm almost finished with one for today so at least there's that.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2017, 10:39 AM
Enthusiast
Greater London

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGArt
Do we start separate threads for each one or should we post them all here?
I'm happy for this thread to be used by everyone. The more the merrier! Unless a mod would like to create an official thread?

Gary, about Inktober: basically what scc1989 and Kathy said (Kathy posted the link to the official page). It's an internet-wide event created by Jake Parker. The goal is to create a finished drawing and post it online all through October.
There's a list of prompts but you don't have to follow them.
I'm not sure how useful Inktober would be for someone like you who basically draws in ink all the time anyway... but you could also use it as a way to work on subjects / techniques / styles etc you don't normally use.

My Day 2:

Urfffff. This was a challenge all right. The way I drew the engine and cable-y things, that car would probably explode if you decided to switch gears, but I *loved* inking that beast. I can see myself drawing more mechanical things in the future.

I used fineliners and a brush pen. I'll try varying my tools through the month, as I'm still not sure which ones I like using best... let alone which ones are best for each job.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2017, 11:10 AM

^the detail of the car engine is incredible. Great use of lines and tone. I know nothing about cars so no way I could even begin to draw a subject like that.

Here's a little drawing I did over the weekend. I'm trying to keep things simple but ink is nerve wracking because it is so permanent.

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2017, 02:24 PM
Enthusiast
Greater London

This looks so clean and nice, scc! And I like how you added an outside view.

Cars are a mystery. I can change a battery and check the oil, just about. I didn't expect to enjoy drawing that car so much -- I had a fantastic time. It's definitely something to explore further.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2017, 02:56 PM

I love the car. I don't know if I have the patience or confidence to ink the fine details of the engine.

I really like the clean look of the table and books.

I won't be able to post one every day, but this is the one I did yesterday.

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2017, 04:26 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Raindrop, as there are already drawings added here we might just as well use your thread for anyone else wanting to join Inktober.
I like to see the variety of subjects and styles .... interesting work already!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2017, 08:39 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Inktober is a great excuse to try different tools, techniques etc. No one expects that the drawings will be masterpieces, after all you need to do one a day so by default you can't spend a huge amount of time on any one drawing.

In the past people tended to start their own threads but using just one also makes sense, makes it easier to see the wide variety of work, and somewhat reduces the pressure of posting every day.

Well I managed to get started yesterday, no clue how many days I will be able to manage. Not my best work, these are supposed to be mushrooms based on a personal photo I made this weekend.

Oh if you want to see what was done in past years you can do a search for threads with Inktober in the subject. As I recall there are some good drawings.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2017, 09:07 PM
Chicago

Hails from United States

Really nice work everyone!

This is my first time trying Inktober; I usually get to about mid month and realize it's going on and then it's 'too late'.

Here are my first two:

In the second image I am using a set of gray Faber Castell Pitt Artist Brush Pens for the softer shaded tones. (It's still ink). I did do a pencil underdrawing for each before diving into the ink, which is allowed as far as I know.

Facebook Page
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2017, 04:45 PM
Enthusiast
Greater London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Mum
Raindrop, as there are already drawings added here we might just as well use your thread for anyone else wanting to join Inktober.
I like to see the variety of subjects and styles .... interesting work already!
Yay! I love seeing all the entries together

Michael, the shading looks really nice!

My entry today... I'm both happy and unhappy with it. Unhappy, because of the obvious mistakes -- that weren't so apparent in the initial sketch. Happy, because that's definitely a new level of complexity for me. Brush and ink, and still from The Full Monty.

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2017, 05:42 PM
Chicago

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindrop
Yay! I love seeing all the entries together

Michael, the shading looks really nice!

My entry today... I'm both happy and unhappy with it. Unhappy, because of the obvious mistakes -- that weren't so apparent in the initial sketch.

Thanks Raindrop!

I'm not sure what the 'obvious mistakes' are but I really like this one!

Facebook Page