WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2017, 10:46 AM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States
Selling another artist's art

Years ago I bought a bronze sculpture at goodwill for 45 dollars. Recently, I looked it up, and discovered that serial mates of this sculpture were being sold for about $14,000. As I am in need of money right now (to pay for college), I was wondering if anyone knows how to contact places like Auction houses, and how much of a "cut" they would take.

Has anyone here sold the work of another artist, or sold art through an auction house?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2017, 11:16 AM
Enthusiast

Re: Selling another artist's art

I would first contact the most prestigious gallery in your area to see if they are interested in consigning it for a short time, something like 90 days. Expect to pay 40% or more commission. Price it at retail value and give the gallery owner the maximum discount you would allow them take.

Or, contact a large reputable auction house that handles lots of sculpture. You will probably have to ship it to them. Personally I would not put something that valuable up for auction without a minimum starting bid that I was comfortable with. If nobody is interested in at the moment, it could sell for a lot less than it might later when there were more interested buyers looking. From what I read, many auction houses charge the seller nothing, but hit the buyer with a "buyer's Premium" that runs from 20%-30%. Regardless of who pays the fee, it is going to reduce what you end up getting from the sale since they buyers are not going to bid more than 70%-80% of what they perceive the piece is worth to them.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2017, 12:39 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

I am pretty sure that at $14k the auction house might give the original owner maybe $10K-- $7K if they are lucky.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2017, 07:58 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Wow, even $7k is a fabulous return on investment!!!!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2017, 09:31 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Use Her Name
I am pretty sure that at $14k the auction house might give the original owner maybe $10K-- $7K if they are lucky.

It depends on whether the auction house charges the buyer or the seller the commission / premium. If they only charge a buyer's premium, the seller would get 100% of the selling price and the buyer would pay the fee on top of what the item sold for. Apparently this is a fairly common system for some auctions though I have never heard of it before.