WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Studio
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2017, 06:13 PM
Enthusiast

Lincoln Park Scene

oil pastel on 4x6" watercolor paper. C&C always welcome and appreciated.
I got too blue on the trees. I tried to darken in yesterday, the pastel wouldn't stay put! So I planned to adjust that this morning, and forgot.
That block on lower left is a clip. Thanks for looking.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2017, 12:56 AM
Standerton

Hails from South Africa
Re: Lincoln Park Scene

Ntl - lovely scene! You might consider to make your own dark green by melting green plus tiny amounts of black/purple/blue at a time - much easier than to blend on the paper
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2017, 01:40 AM
Enthusiast

Melting? Melting??? Really?

So THAT'S how the artists do it!

How do I melt it? I don't have a tiny pan... Tuna fish can? Top of (or rather the bottom of the can?)
Actually, that's a good idea.

Thanks, Christel, for the idea and your commenting. I appreciate you.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2017, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Portland

Hails from United States

Hi Ntl,

I don't mind the blue in the trees. I think it looks fine. It helps push them back a bit. Perhaps add warmer green trees in front of the blue ones will help create dimension.

For example, the tree on the far right has a couple branches that are straight up blue. You can take that same color and make distant trees in the horizon.

My Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/richarriagada/
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2017, 01:21 PM
Enthusiast

Rich, thanks for your idea! (and commenting!) I'll give that a shot.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2017, 01:53 PM
Standerton

Hails from South Africa

You can melt pieces of op in a container which is warmed in a container with boiling water, ie double boiler
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 05:05 PM
SE USA

Hails from United States

I like this piece, and the blue isn't bothering me. Really the only area I see where it's prominent is on the right-side tree, just a couple of branches as Rich mentioned. The rest is blended nicely, and could pass for a blue spruce!

I'm curious about melting. Years ago, when using my first set of Neopastel water-soluable OPs (that I didn't even think of for use on their own!), I was shown a method with them over a heating pad.

The setup was: heating pad spread out on a towel, on a flat surface. Then a piece of plexiglass was laid over the heating pad, and allowed to warm up a bit. The photograph was laid over the glass and the OP was drawn over the desired area - it literally dissolved/melted slightly as I applied it. It was a creek-bed scene, as I recall, and I was trying different media with my usual photo oils.

I wonder if ye olde heating pad trick would work to soften what's already on the paper when wanting to re-work or add a color to a section, as in this instance. Or might it just make a mess?? Maybe if the original OP's were a harder brand, better results than say, with Senns...?

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!