WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2017, 12:40 PM
Romeoville, Illinois

Hails from United States
What to do with feelings of inadequacy...

I want to participate more but I have an irrational fear of posting my work... I don't know how to break out of it. I have a lot of sketches I want to develop, but I don't know where to go with them.

Sometimes I want to do a piece that has some gravitas, to put on to paper or canvas something I'm feeling deeply, but my style leans to the cutesy end of things. Maybe I should just go with it.... I don't know.

Not that I don't love drawing cutesy stuff though, but I wish I had a greater range, or could develop a greater range of feeling in my work.

I'm also hesitant to upload my drawings because they are not "finished", but yet, I don't know where to go with them. So they remain asleep in in graphite - waiting for colour to wake them up.... I just don't want to ruin them, or remove the potential that they might have.

anyway, I'm rambling. I'm just looking for advice. Has anyone else who is reading this felt really hesitant about posting their work, or fearful working a sketch into a finished painting?

~Jennifer
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2017, 12:46 PM
western New York

Hails from United States
Re: What to do with feelings of inadequacy...

You don't always need to wake up graphite with color. Not every Sketch needs to be a full-blown painting. If you're worried about ruining a sketch putting color into it, then just re-draw it and add the color to that new sketch.

You get out of your irrational fear of posting by...posting.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2017, 01:53 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

As an artist, sometimes, most times, you just have to put on your big girl panties and Do It.
Mistakes are Inevitable, we all make them, most of us learn from them.
Fear, however, kills Everything.

la
Attached Images

Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2017, 03:56 PM

We all have these moments of doubt. I get them often. I'm sure most artists go through. I like this video. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3aDXM5H-Fuw
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2017, 05:23 AM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales

How about trying something totally different to get your self going?
Over in the “Artwork from Life forum” they run a weekly “Scavenger Hunt” the participants are very friendly and the concept this week is very exciting.
Participating will get you over your reluctance to post and you can play and develop sketches to your harts content while having a lot of fun .

Dave.
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting please.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2017, 07:22 AM
In the middle of a forest :).

Hails from Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by La_
As an artist, sometimes, most times, you just have to put on your big girl panties and Do It.

^This. Fear has a habit of getting stronger when we avoid looking at it. The only way to conquer it, is to do exactly what you're afraid of. So, set yourself a time next week and tell yourself you're going to post some stuff then. Not a minute later.

And then you give yourself another deadline. And another. And- well, you catch my drift.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2017, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

Here are a couple of cogent thoughts . . . artists and writers publish their mistakes. Doctors bury theirs.

There is only one person in this world you can control. That person is you. You could paint/draw the most powerful painting in the universe and you could bet someone would find fault with it.

Just get on with your work and forget the rest. A theory to which I subscribe is that the bitchers and moaners are wannabes who can't do as well as you.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2017, 11:50 AM
In the middle of a forest :).

Hails from Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by budigart
A theory to which I subscribe is that the bitchers and moaners are wannabes who can't do as well as you.

Oh, this is definitely true. About two years ago, I was subject of a very nasty slander and gossip action on the internet, where a few people were dead set to ruin my business by getting all sort of rumors out there. The reason? They took issue with my sculpting style. That's it.

All of these messages had a strong undercurrence of spite. These were people who had made it there goal to make me fail. I don't know about you, but I rather spend my time making something beautiful. It's a much more pleasant way to fill your day.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2017, 02:43 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

I have been doing art (in a way that I considered seriously) since Junior high school. I am now 57 years old. So that is a long time.

One of the main things I have learned is that a finished piece is a "developed" piece. Often art goes through multiple "iterations."

Even a drawing. So, draw it a dozen times, using various tropes of gravitas from perhaps art history study, or the study of movie or comics. (Even as old as I am, I can say that some of my initial influences were comic books and artists like Frank Frazetta.)

So whatever the "gravitas" effect you are looking at, should be developed.

Failure is learning. The problem that seems to come out of this, is that ideas come fully formed out of the heads of geniuses, and we are not as smart, talented or whatever as anyone else when in fact, both ideas and talent are deliberately developed, some times over years of seemingly fruitless and profitless labor, until one day... Do you understand things like when the people who did the movies "the lord of the rings movies" were actually working on it at least 5 years before they ever hired the cast? (I know it is now a bit dated, but if you watch the "making of" DVD's, you will see that the production took a long time.)

Art is developed. It does not appear suddenly.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2017, 10:01 AM
Enthusiast

The function of the overwhelming majority of your artwork is simply to teach you how to make the small fraction of your artwork that soars. --Art & Fear
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

I have felt fearful, even while I was painting. But I recently read a biography of Whistler. He was so paranoid about turning out a bad painting that he pretty much destroyed his portrait business by constantly redoing portraits. Sitters would even go so far as to hide a portrait he'd done so he couldn't take it back and mess with it. George Inness also had a big problem with believing that his paintings were good enough to be done. He left tons of paintings when he died, and they can't even tell which ones he thought were actually finished.

Both of them are great painters, IMO, and both did nothing but mess up their own sales by doing this. So how can I worry too much about mine? It's neurotic.

Don't let it turn into something that prevents you from doing the art you really want to do.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2017, 06:46 AM
Pahoa, Hawaii

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaow
Sometimes I want to do a piece that has some gravitas, to put on to paper or canvas something I'm feeling deeply, but my style leans to the cutesy end of things. Maybe I should just go with it.... I don't know.

Not that I don't love drawing cutesy stuff though, but I wish I had a greater range, or could develop a greater range of feeling in my work.

Cutesy is totally fine if that's your style and what you enjoy. You can still make beautiful, meaningful, and emotional artwork whatever your preferred style.

Quote:
I'm also hesitant to upload my drawings because they are not "finished", but yet, I don't know where to go with them. So they remain asleep in in graphite - waiting for colour to wake them up.... I just don't want to ruin them, or remove the potential that they might have.

Scan your drawings and then work only from the printed copies. You can trace using the copies onto paper or another surface without risking messing up the originals.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2017, 02:58 PM
Lord of the Arts
Oregon

Hails from United States

You could post as a unfinished or WIP and ask for input, others might see things that you did not.. you can always take away what you want from comments.

Often I can assess my work better after I take a photo, it seems to show up any issues that I overlooked while in the act of painting..Then I hang it and think on it and decide if I want to try adjust or change things.....

I have learned a lot from mistakes and adjusting or over adjusting.. grrr..
The painting/creating is the fun part for me, not getting a piece "done"....

When posting it can help to mention your style - naive, realism, impressionism, abstract , etc...or if you are aiming for a certain style..
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2017, 07:57 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaow
Has anyone else who is reading this felt really hesitant about posting their work, or fearful working a sketch into a finished painting?

~Jennifer

I was same fearful and shy when I started keeping a blog about my experiments with watercolours. English is not my first language but on the other hand the fellow artists that I talk with, are in they majority English speaking.
So I risked it, though I felt very uncomfortable to express my self in a foreign to me language, I wrote my first post with plenty of photos in order to avoid any misunderstandings, I apologized for any syntax or spelling mistakes, I prayed not to be humiliated and I published it!

And that was it. After I published the first post, I realized that people liked my blog and visited it and then I became less shy and more willing to share whatever comes to my mind even if it isn't that great or important. In time I improved my English too.

You don't have anything to lose if you post even some unfinished sketches. Posting them here might motivate you to finish them or even make them into paintings.
Never underestimate group support.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2017, 12:49 AM
Welland, Ontario

Hails from Canada

I'm so glad to have read this post, and all of the wonderful comments. I've recently been worried about the same thing (minus the posting part) wondering if people out there have a sense of insecurity and panic aboit a piece they have worked on.
I get to different points of being satisfied with my work, but still feel it's not done. But I am afraid to keep going or else I will ruin it! It's at that point when I say to myself "if anything, I will learn something if I end up ruining it" and I just go for it. Sometimes it works out better than I imagined and sometimes, well, I learned what I don't like and will try to avoid it in the future.

As mentioned in other comments, either drawing or printing out a copy of the original can be a good way of experimenting with colours before you take the plunge on the original. I do #abstract paintings, so unfortunately I can't do that, but boy that would be so nice! I'd save a lot of canvases if that were the case lol

You should totally post your work if you truly want to! I'm new here and everyone has been so supportive and I've gotten some good constructive criticism so far that I'm taking in and applying. I know it's scary to put yourself out there, but once you do you will gain more confidence in a number of ways.