WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2017, 01:28 PM

Hails from United Kingdom
Berol Verithin Lightfastness

Does anyone have any information about the lightfastness of the Berol generation of Verithin pencils?

I love them for fine lines and detail, but I suspect they may be poor in terms of permanence.

http://claudiasartlife.blogspot.co.uk/
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2017, 07:57 PM
Unionville, CT

Hails from United States
Re: Berol Verithin Lightfastness

Following. I just purchased a set, got them sharpened but haven't touched them yet. Struggling with an acrylic painting disaster so I look forward to playing with something completely different.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 10:05 AM
Upstate New York

Hails from United States

I missed this earlier, Claudia. I would assume they would be the same as the Premiers, wouldn't they? I made the mistake of looking up the lightfastness of regular Prismas - very disappointing. You would really need to protect any framed work or have prints made. There a chart at this link you can print out that gives grades for each color.

I haven't tested them myself and haven't had any trouble (yet) but I'm very new to CPs so take it with a grain or 2 of salt.

And then I go back and actually read your post and see you're looking for the older generation of pencils, from Berol. Sigh. You'd think I'd learn not to speak/type before having sufficient caffeine in the morning. Check this site, though - they seem to have compiled info for many years on CP topics. Maybe there's something there that would help.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2017, 10:11 AM

Hi Sharie

Yes, I've got a selection of older Verithins. The current generation has bad customer reviews on Amazon UK (questionable quality and lots of broken leads, possibly due to the distance they have to travel), so I bought old Berol stock instead.

I absolutely love the thin-ness of the pencil (barrel and especially the core - these older ones have an even thinner core than the new ones). They are so great for really fine detail on insects etc. I have a very bad feeling about their lightfastness though, and the lack of info about it anywhere is not making me feel any more confident!

Thanks for the link - I've looked at the lightfastness section of that (excellent) website before, and there's some very interesting lightfastness charts on there done by a reader (mixed brands). Can't find anything specifically about Berol Verithins, but the charts are quite an eye-opener!

What I really wish is that Faber Castell or Caran D'Ache would make a thin, hard-core pencil exactly like the old super-thin Verithin, but with great modern lightfastness. That would make me so happy! Not gonna happen though....

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2017, 01:01 PM
Enthusiast
A 38 sq.meter apartment in Hyvinkää

Hails from Finland

Once upon a time Derwent Lakeland Colourthins were made by the Indonesian branch of Faber-Castell and looks like the modern set has matching hues too.

https://www.derwentart.com/en/qa/766...thin-24-wallet

A water-soluble alternative is Caran d'Ache Prismalo - it's the hardest of European artist's colour pencils.

https://store.carandache.com/int/en/...-couleurs.html

Unfortunately the lightfastness of both is very variable but the Prismalo set has many quite acceptable colours. Screen grabs of a PDF brochure:

Heikki
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2017, 03:34 AM

Thanks ManedWolf - I'd never even heard of those Derwent colourthins. They would be a great alternative to Verithins if they were lightfast, but even Derwent's professional ranges are bad on Lightfastness, so I guess their range aimed at kids is even worse! Pretty sure they'd be no better than the Berol Verithins.

I'm a big fan of Caran D'Ache and I have pencils from their Supracolor, Pablo, Luminance and Museum ranges, but not Prismalo. Do they have a thin core? It's not just the hardness I'm looking for, it's also that thin thin core.

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2017, 07:48 AM
Enthusiast
A 38 sq.meter apartment in Hyvinkää

Hails from Finland

Caran d'Ache's pamphlets say that Prismalos have a 3 mm lead - it's not as thin as the Prismacolor Verithins. Anyway the lead holds a sharp point that doesn't break easily.

Heikki
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2017, 06:55 AM

Thanks ManedWolf, that's really helpful. You are so knowledgable. I might give those Prismalos a try and see how I like them.