WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2017, 04:19 AM

Used gouache to fix oil painting, now cracking?

Dear WetCanvas users.

I am a complete newbie when it comes to painting, thus seeking the advice of some of you experienced WC users.

The thing is, I recently relocated overseas and had to re-frame a painting of mine afterwards. Unfortunately this led to some peeling of the paint, sort of resembling white drops/flecks all over the painting. I then set out to repair the damage and bought some gouache painting to use, which turned out quite well.

BUT, I have now encountered two problems of which the second is the worst:

1. When looking at the painting from an angle, the repairs look like matte blurs that seem darker in color. When looking at the picture from the front, the repairs aren't noticeable at all (unless standing right up close to it).

2. After about a month, the repaired areas started to crack and come off. I am unsure whether this is: 1. Due to having used gouache and not i.e. oil for the repairs. 2. Lack of fixation/varnish. 3. Due to climate change (I used to live in Hong Kong = hot, humid and aircondition. I now live in Sydney = dry, big changes in temperature and no aircondition).

I have red about different types of varnish/fixatives, but am afraid that it will ruin the picture, either by changing the colors or even worse, making the whole painting peel...

I assume the original painting is an oil painting or at least treated with some sort of varnish, as the paint cannot be affected with water and it has a quite glossy finish. It is painted on a canvas and it is pastel colored predominately in nude, light orange/yellow and green colors. The style is contemporary realism.

Any help would be much appreciated!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2017, 11:34 AM
Enthusiast

Re: Used gouache to fix oil painting, now cracking?

The Bad News: Gouache will not adhere to non absorbent surfaces such as oils.

The Good News: Since it is water soluble you should be able to undo what you have done.

Based on your efforts so far, if the painting is important to you, my advice is to seek the help of a conservator in removing the gouache you applied and in repairing it properly once that has been done.