WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2017, 04:41 PM

INK Brands for Nibs & Technical Pens

Hi All.

I have been searching online for two hours about COLOR INKS (brands) to use with watercolor, acrylic, and other mixed media arts. I am hoping for your expertise - my searches have proved fruitless. Smiles.
I like to use ink. I have been writing script for years. I would like to know about COLORED inks that will not wash away if I apply a watercolor or acrylic wash over them?

Typically I would do most ink work last but want to try some things differently.

1) I would like a COLOR Ink Brand that is Semi-transparent, and
2) and COLOR Ink Brand that is Opaque......

What INK BRANDS do you consistently use and why?
Which Color Ink Brands are less gummy on the pen nib?
Which Color Ink Brands do you like for Technical Pens?
Which Color Ink Brands have the most ONE color Pigments?

There is a Pen and Ink discussion and I have searched it without finding my answers. Should I also put this topic in that area?

Thanks Bunches!!!

Last edited by ScientistChic : 09-24-2017 at 04:43 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2017, 04:42 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States
Re: INK Brands for Nibs & Technical Pens

Welcome to WetCanvas!

I use a grey Noodler's ink with Lamy Safari pen, alcohol inks and FW inks. I don't know the answers to your other questions. You could put this in the Café Guerbois section and ask there.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2017, 01:34 AM
Enthusiast

You might try Dr Martin's Bombay inks if you want something that is actually waterproof. They come in a wide variety of colors. These inks will not work in fountain pens. Cleaning up dried ink requires alcohol.

I have not found any truly waterproof inks that work in fountain pens but the closest to waterproof that I have used is the Sailor Nano Kiwa‑guro. My understanding is that all of the so called waterproof inks made for fountain pens are going to bleed to some extent when saturated with water. I have tried several and found that to be true.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2017, 12:32 PM

I am surprised that ink made for technical pens would not be waterproof? What inks are people using in their technical pens?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2017, 07:45 PM
Enthusiast

There are waterproof inks that work in technical pens, but fountain pens are more finicky. The technical pen has a wire plunger inside the barrel that keeps the ink flowing. A fountain pen relies totally on capillary action.

I only use inks in my technical pens that state on the bottle that they are made for them. I would never use the Bombay inks in my technical pens though you might dodge the proverbial bullet if it was a fairly large tip and you cleaned it immediately after use with alcohol in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Only use an ink that clearly states it is safe for fountain pens in a fountain pen unless it is one that you won't mind throwing away when it permanently clogs. There are several fairly decent throw away fountain pens that cost the same as throw away rollerballs that can be refilled with various waterproof inks.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2017, 10:01 PM

So, which brand of inks do you use in your technical pens? I want to use my technical pens with colored inks -

Thank you!!!