WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Painting from the Masters
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2017, 08:59 AM
Enthusiast
Connecticut

Hails from United States
Source Material

Where can I find source material of Impressionists and post-Impressionists for copying? I'd like something bigger than a postcard but not too expensive.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2017, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member

Re: Source Material

Choose one of the painters you like, type his/her name into your search box and enter. Then, select "image" and you see a large selection of work. Pick off and save the ones you like. Doll them up in Photoshop, or another photo editing program and paint away. You'll never get a perfect copy (such as the one hanging in a museum somewhere) but you should be able to find something you like and can copy.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2017, 10:08 AM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

I don't copy from the masters, but I have art history books with terrific color photos of master works. These days you can get a good SCANNER for cheap. Scan the pages to your computer and work from your monitor. A good monitor shows way more colors than a photo.
Good luck.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2017, 03:36 AM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales

Most European Museums allow copying of works they own, they usually set one day a week when students can come in and work. You are not allowed to make a copy the same size as the original and your canvas will be ink stamped by the museum to say it is a copy and dated.
Some museums even supply easels .
Dave.
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting please.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2017, 08:42 AM
Enthusiast
Connecticut

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcam
I don't copy from the masters, but I have art history books with terrific color photos of master works. These days you can get a good SCANNER for cheap. Scan the pages to your computer and work from your monitor. A good monitor shows way more colors than a photo.
Good luck.
This requires setting up a monitor and a device in my studio. I already have a scanner. I've decided to take your advice, and have located a very inexpensive, used 20" vga monitor. I already have an adapter that goes from my iPhone to vga, so I can display my phone's screen on the monitor. I can scan a book page, email it to myself, and open the attachment on my phone, et voila! The monitor ($30) should arrive tomorrow. I'll give it a try. Thanks.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2017, 08:50 AM
Enthusiast
Connecticut

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Most European Museums allow copying of works they own, they usually set one day a week when students can come in and work. You are not allowed to make a copy the same size as the original and your canvas will be ink stamped by the museum to say it is a copy and dated.
Some museums even supply easels .
Dave.
A trip to Europe sounds fun, but is not going to happen anytime soon I am afraid. I could try this with a local museum though. Might be worth a try.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2017, 10:00 PM
Calabasas, CA

Hails from United States

Mary Cassatt