WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Teacher's Toolbox
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2017, 05:41 PM
Enthusiast

Can Drawing be Learned by Everyone?

A recent thread here is titled, "CAN DRAWING BE TAUGHT?"
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1425539

I've been struggling with drawing and painting. Especially these last few months. I was never a very good drawer. Even painting, I am slow, always have been, and it is really hard for me. I finally have a success here and there, but still, after all this time, all this work, it shouldn't be this hard, or take as long as it does.

During a discussion recently I related an incident from my childhood in which I was completely unable to draw a diamond shape, no matter how hard I tried, even though it was right there in front of me. Over the years, I learned it was probably a form of a vision problem and that was that.

After telling that story I remembered the problems I had/am having these last weeks drawing/painting a flower, and having to make adjustments over and over again in an area about 4"x4". I remember other incidents where I am attempting to draw other things, and need to make way too many adjustments on them, or redoing, repeatedly. I just get so discouraged. I know now that that vision problem is still affecting me. And has been all my life.

I never expected to get into any museums or even galleries this time around, but I really did expect progress. Yes, I know there's been improvement. Not enough, for all the time in, for the studying and doing.

I'll probably not, in this lifetime, be more than mediocre.

Which would be okay, if there was ongoing improvement that I could see.
Understanding there is a physical cause to it makes it worse for me: I don't see much chance for improvement.

I don't WANT to BE mediocre.
I'd rather be a natural yellow ochre, or a natural gold ochre, or even a beautiful brown ochre. Or a Blue ochre, or red...

It is very depressing. I guess I'll continue.

Maybe drawing can be taught.
I don't think everyone can learn to draw easily and with fluency.

Last edited by ntl : 09-19-2017 at 06:05 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2017, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Cazenovia, NY

Hails from United States
Re: Can Drawing be Learned by Everyone?

Have you tried this book? https://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Right.../dp/1585429201
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2017, 08:06 PM

I have that same problem. Everyone else in my family are good artist but I struggle. I can copy the how to books with the shapes to make different animals but I even struggle with that. Good Luck, though; as it sounds like you are not a quitter and neither am I. You know there are different types of painting, as well. If you're trying to paint a flower why not try the One Stroke painting on YouTube. I've done that and actually do pretty good with that kind of art. I'm strubburn, though; I want to do some landscape and seascapes. I just ripped 2 of them up yesterday and gesso'ed over a canvas of mountains, only to start all over again and will again and again if I have to. One other thing, when you paint, don't forget to step back and look at it. Sometimes, it's just really good. We can do it. We're going to keep learning. You and Me, We Can Do This. LOL
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2017, 08:13 PM

wDaniels:
Does Drawing come from the right side of the brain? I'm wondering: because the title of that sounds like it's going to explain it that way. I'll have to investigate that more. I want to learn to do my art better too but I'd rather have a book that's going to help to teach drawing. I didn't see anything that explains what that book does. I'll have to check it out at Barnes and Noble; Then I can see if that's the book for me. Even my son can draw good; but he does struggle. He's better than he thinks he is, though.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2017, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Cazenovia, NY

Hails from United States

At least in the edition of the book I have, which was printed years ago, the author says that drawing is a skill that is done better with the right side of the brain. I believe that there is disagreement about that issue, but whatever the science, this is the only book I've seen that teaches people how to see, which is the whole key to learning to draw, in my opinion.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2017, 10:49 PM
Enthusiast

I've had the book for years. Did the exercises when I bought it, and yes, I suppose they did help.
What I am talking about now is that because I don't see correctly, no matter how well I think I am doing, it's just not good enough. ie, I look at something and draw it. I look at it again, and see an error or two or three. I study the model, make corrections, and smile. There. I got it. Until I look at it again.
After repeating several times, re-measuring, re-starting, repeating. There, I've finally got it. OOPS. need another adjustment...
As I said, I recently finished a flower, following that process. Took a while. Had to re-do the basic shape. The petals, number of and shapes. the colors. re do the petals. the colors. the shapes. It took a while, not because it was with oil paint, but in the need for numerous adjustments, after doing what I thought was correct in the first place.

I have seen what few people can do in a few minutes, or a day or two. I spend weeks on similar work, and theirs is much higher quality. Sure, maybe they have been at it longer than I. My point is, I have been working at this a few years myself, and progress is basically nil. Very slow, and hard won.
This is a struggle, and now, being painfully aware of the vision situation, am finding it hard to go on.
Mistyblue, the book may help you. It may be available through the library or a used book store, local or amazon.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2017, 04:01 PM
Enthusiast
Wickenburg, Arizona

ntl, are you drawing from photos, or from life? That makes a huge difference, as if you're drawing from life every time you tilt your head or blink you'll see a different scene, as the perspective changes.

Which would be the bigger waste:
your art supplies, or your creative soul?
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2017, 05:01 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

There are so many really excellent "tricks", or "gimmicks" for learning how to draw, that it seems to me that nearly (no, not all) everyone should be able to at least improve his/her drawing results.

Effective drawing is nothing more complicated than being capable of placing a few, "key points" on a surface, and then joining them with appropriate lines or values.

When I paint portraits, I actually find it inappropriate to attempt to go through the operations of performing a preliminary "drawing" because I have discovered a better method of getting "things" in the "correct places", early-on--and for me to do a drawing would actually interfere with that. I go right to work on the canvas with brush, and paint. And, it is related to placing large values on the canvas, rather than trying to "cartoon" them with lines (drawing).
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2017, 12:08 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Lady
ntl, are you drawing from photos, or from life? That makes a huge difference, as if you're drawing from life every time you tilt your head or blink you'll see a different scene, as the perspective changes.

I love plein air. I love being out to paint. I'm not good at it, in fact, lack of progress there made me more aware of lack of other progress. I continue with plein air because I (used to) enjoy it.
The rest is drawings or photographs, based on photos or found to help with imagination.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2017, 02:04 AM
Enthusiast
Wickenburg, Arizona

I think: anyone who can write their name can learn to draw realistically if they want to.

I know that some days nothing I draw comes out right; I call them "bad line days". I used to frustrate myself to no end trying over and over to coax out good results, but it never worked that way -I just ended up with overworked paper, frazzled nerves and questioning if I ever wanted to pick up a pencil again. Now? I just put everything down and go do something else. It always seems that when I come back another day, it's all better.

It does take practice -a lot of it. If you're copying a photo, find a point on the paper -something small and easy to find, and use it as a guide to where everything else should be. Where does this shape meet that one? Where is the edge?

Also...ask yourself if "realistic" is really what you want? Do you really want to keep copying what you see, or does your hand/mind really want to do something completely different? At some point, Picasso had to say to himself "that's not even close to what I'm seeing...." and yet decided to just keep going!

Finally, if it's no fun; just stop for a while. There's no rule that says you have to keep slogging 'long with drawing or painting if it's not bringing you enjoyment. Maybe you'd rather just spend a few weeks carrying your camera 'round gathering references?

Which would be the bigger waste:
your art supplies, or your creative soul?
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2017, 07:33 PM
Enthusiast

All good points. Thanks!