WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watermedia
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2017, 08:45 PM
Tempe, AZ

Hails from United States
Any thoughts on what this 3" mystery brush is and what it would be good for?

This is my first post - I hope it's in the right place!

My dad gave me this M. Grumbacher 3634 brush that was with his house-painting brushes...but I have a feeling it's more of an art brush. It's 3 inches wide and stamped "M. Grumbacher N.Y. 3634". I think it might be ox hair? The bristles are very dense and quite stiff.

I did some online research and it seems like it would be good for priming a canvas with gesso. But I was curious if anyone has seen this particular brush, or knows what this type of brush is called, what kind of hair it is, any tips for me on how to put it to good use.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2017, 09:34 AM
Lord of the Arts
U.S.A.

Hails from United States
Re: Any thoughts on what this 3" mystery brush is and what it would be good for?

You could try to ask Grumbacher.
Regards,
Greg
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2017, 11:05 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States
Re: Any thoughts on what this 3" mystery brush is and what it would be good for?

Possibly badger hair? I have a smaller one that resembles this.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2017, 02:49 PM
Tempe, AZ

Hails from United States

Kay - I just googled badger hair paint brush and you're right, that really does look like what I have! It sounds like those brushes are good for applying varnish... I know yours is smaller, but have you found a good use for it in your paintings?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2017, 02:55 PM
Tempe, AZ

Hails from United States

Greg - good idea! I just emailed them to see if they can help
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2017, 10:36 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Yes, Amy, it is for soft blending with oils. The woman who cleans my studio did use it once for some fine dusting she was doing...guess it worked okay for her, too.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2017, 03:14 PM
Tempe, AZ

Hails from United States

I heard back from Grumbacher and it is indeed made with badger. Here's what they said:

"The brush you referenced below is a Badger Mottler used to produce Classic Decorative Finishes. This one in particular was probably used for blending or producing appearance of certain wood grains. This brush was discontinued in the early 1990’s."

I'm not sure yet how I'll use it since I don't use oils or want to do decorative finishes. I might be able to get some good blending with acrylics or in mixed media projects.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2017, 12:52 AM
A Local Legend
Salt Lake City

I have its 1" little brother call "The Skipper", designed as a water color brush for Skip Lawrence and sold by Cheap Joe's. I was not skillful enough to use it as that. So, I used it to apply textured gesso to various hardboards. Gary

Name:  IMG_9736.JPG
Views: 85
Size:  93.0 KB
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2017, 03:08 PM
Tempe, AZ

Hails from United States

Gary - I like the idea of using this brush for gesso! I've considered doing a watercolor wash with it, but I think it would suck up about $8 worth of paint lol

It could be cool to do some big splotches of acrylic over the gesso and explore some mixed media projects with it.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2017, 05:21 AM
A WC! Legend

Tell us what you find it fun to use for!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2017, 11:28 PM
Tempe, AZ

Hails from United States

I just discovered something I love using this big 'ole brush for! I'm doing a series of value study exercises and got inspired to try using white and two shades of graphite pencil on a light grey toned paper. It's something I read about in Andrew Loomis' book Creative Illustration.

Instead of buying a toned paper I mixed up a really watery wash with black gouache to lay down in my sketchbook. This brush was wonderful for that purpose! My other largest flat brush is a 1/2" flat and it would have been kind of a pain to use on the 7x10 paper. But this one was awesome.

Granted, I wasn't going for a lot of control or anything, but now I want to tone a bunch of pages with it

(post to more about the process I'm using for these quick value exercises)