WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2017, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States
Benzimidazalone blue PB80

Has anyone come across PB80 paint, benzimidazalone blue? This is a blue pigment with high lightfastness, medium transparency, and good resistance to alkaline degradation (which means it would work in acrylic binders). I'm wondering if it might not be a good sub for cobalt. I just bought a pigment dispersion of it from Guerra to try in acrylics. I've been using anthraquinone blue PB60 for a while and I like it fine, but it would be nice to have a more reddish blue (ultramarine looks insipid to me after using anthraquinone so long). I could not find any description of anyone using PB80.

http://www.guerrapaint.com/index.php...roducts_id=880
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2017, 03:09 PM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia
Re: Benzimidazalone blue PB80

Here is an old WC thread about Dioxazine Blue PB80 pigment. Sarah Sand answered, that she tried this pigment and it was fine. But she can't found pigment manufacturer to order this pigment for artistic purpose to make her Williamsburg PB80 oil paint.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2017, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

Thanks! I dug that thread up after doing a search for PB80 here, Gigalot. Guerra does have this pigment, but you have to make the paint yourself. I bought some of the pigment dispersion and will try my hand at making a fluid acrylic with the PB80 tomorrow. I'll post about it. I really like the idea of making my own acrylics because these guys have way more pigments than anyone and I can go for a really low viscosity binder. The binder I bought can with the addition of 5-10% water, be used as an ink binder, so that's pretty runny. I am so looking forward to this!

The only info I could find about uses of this pigment was in high heat applications, like painting cars.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2017, 03:44 AM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Clariant do not list it any more. This pigment is possibly discontinued. PB15:3 and PB15:2 are most used.

Last edited by Gigalot : 09-20-2017 at 04:10 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2017, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

Here's the bottle I got yesterday. I'll mix up the paint today and take a photo of it.

I don't think this pigment is discontinued. They use it to paint cars and machinery in the US. I personally dislike phthalos, so I will make sure it is not the same thing.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2017, 11:23 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Canada

Hails from Canada

I've never heard of PB80 before ... I'd love to see a color swatch. Is its color similar to a reddish/deep Cobalt Blue? Why is it so rarely used?

I love Anthraquinone/Indanthrone Blue PB60 ... but I'm hoping for a blue that is similarly dark but more reddish in hue.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2017, 09:51 PM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick1
Is its color similar to a reddish/deep Cobalt Blue? Why is it so
Color of PB80 is in the middle between of PV23 Diox. Violet and PB60 Indantrone Blue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Roth
I don't think this pigment is discontinued. They use it to paint cars and machinery in the US.
Hostaperm Blue R5R PB80. I couldn't find it in Clariant pigment products. Not available in up-to-day 2014 year list of blue pigments.
Attached Images

Last edited by Gigalot : 09-20-2017 at 10:07 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2017, 10:10 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Canada

Hails from Canada

But why is this color almost unheard-of in artists paints? It seems it would be very useful especially considering how few reddish-blues are out there...and none like the deep, very purplish blue of smalt/cobalt glass...
Attached Images

Last edited by Patrick1 : 09-22-2017 at 10:22 AM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2017, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

I finally got around to mixing up the PB80. It is definitely redder than indanthrone, which is also my favorite blue. It's also quite transparent, as you can see from my samples. Weirdly, in dilution it seems almost granulating. I wonder if this is because the binder I am using is way lower viscosity than even the binder in Golden's Fluids (which I was hoping for). It is lavender when mixed with titanium. I really like this and am beginning a new painting today where it will get a real trying out. I hope the reddishness comes through in my photo.