WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2017, 11:03 AM
Washington DC

Someone who didn't buy your art work at the shower but contact you later to buy it

Just want to know if this is normal. I had a show last week and got an email later from someone who saw my pieces and showed interest. He wants to buy it from me directly. Btw, The price I listed for the piece which he is interested in was not crazy at all. I would consider it relatively low comparing with other pieces at the show. Does it ever happen to any of you?

Last edited by Tr2163 : 09-16-2017 at 11:09 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2017, 11:05 AM
Wiltshire, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Someone who didn't buy your art work at the show but contact you later through email

It has, indeed when I did shows it was as much to get my name out as to sell on the day.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2017, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada
Re: Someone who didn't buy your art work at the shower but contact you later to buy it

I may have written this before. A fellow artist had an exhibition at a gallery. A week later, a buyer contacted him. He wanted to buy at a reduced price. The artist gave him a reduced price as he was buying several -- I'm not saying he deserved it. The buyer was sleazy in everybody's view. I should add -- sleazy because he wanted to undercut the dealer and he said it. Many times a friend will offer to buy for full price AFTER the show because they think I will get all the money. I have to tell them that I can't do that. In this case, the artist took the money and the dealer was given a commission that he suggested. We are not talking about a high end artworld connected gallery here. I didn't like the buyer nor his motives. HOWEVER, that being said, I often sell after the show when it's a show that I have put on myself. As IanBertram says the show has to let the audience know you're creating art work.

Last edited by bleu : 09-16-2017 at 11:26 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2017, 12:11 PM
Wiltshire, UK

Re: Someone who didn't buy your art work at the shower but contact you later to buy it

At the fairs I attended I was representing myself, not a gallery. I'm still not represented by a gallery, although from time to time I place work in retail outlets. If you do have a gallery do not undercut them. To do so damages your reputation AND your income.

The most successful outcome for me was a commission after a County Fair. The gallery/shop owner liked my work and commissioned me to produce some similar style images of scenes local to him, for which he paid on delivery rather than sale or return which had been my usual up to then.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2017, 09:07 AM
Enthusiast

Was your "show" at a gallery or some other venue? If it was at a gallery, did you had a contractual agreement with the gallery where you had the show to pay them a percentage of your sales directly from their showing of your work? If you did and if someone is circumventing the commission cost by going to you directly it is unethical practice. If this scenario applies, it is in the interest of the artist to honor the contract and inform the customer that you still have an obligation to the gallery and would need to include the commission price in your cost.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2017, 06:28 AM
Lord of the Arts
North Yorkshire

I have had this happen before. When a lady showed great interest in one of my paintings but never bought at the show. Two months later, her husband contacted me to say he would like to buy it for her as a Christmas present, to which I agreed but suggested he came through to view the painting first to make sure. He loved it and bought it at a higher cost than originally advertised because I forgot what price I had on it at the show. It also led to a further commission for his wife for one of their cats. Sometimes lady luck just smiles on you.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Yes, I had a painting sell three months after a show. The show was for groups of artists put on by a community group, not my town. Actually it sold to a relative. That was a welcome surprise that she remembered it.