WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2017, 12:49 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States
Monthly Drawing Challenge 9-10/2017

After hurricane Irma robbed me of a couple weeks I have finally got the drawing challenge posted. Because skin is a rather difficult subject I am inclined to let this one got for about 6 weeks through October. The reference images I am posting all came from our Reference Library - links are with each image. I encourage you to check them out yourselves - if you click on the image in the RIL it will show an enlarged image which may help you get details. Feel free to use any photo you might desire but remember that I cannot give a good critique without the reference photo.

To help you get started I posted a thread a while back on how I approach skin. Skin is a very important part of drawing although you do not need to follow my method - I only offer it as a starting point.

You may crop an image as you see fit - this is not a challenge for portraits!! Just skin so do your best and have some fun with it.

Monthly Drawing Challenge for September/October2017

Skin

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...p?photo=131731
By OldRockChick

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...hp?photo=87135
By Signchick

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...p?photo=174836
By LostArt

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...p?photo=184001
By MarlenaS

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...hp?photo=48971
By OzonaLori

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...hp?photo=76711
By angela

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...p?photo=179660
By Deirdre

I chose these images because they seemed to offer a wide range of textures but they are not the only images you can draw. If you have a favorite of your own please draw that. Try my method if it seems reasonable to you but keep in mind that skin doesn't look right if it is not covered in at least 1 layer of graphite/charcoal. There is also ample room to practice fur/hair/beards here - just perhaps not a mustache on the baby. Also remember to crop these as you wish. Perhaps you want to draw a forehead or a cheek - don't worry about the rest of the image. Focus on what you wish.

Good luck and have FUN!

Last edited by SparrowHawk7 : 09-14-2017 at 12:52 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2017, 03:13 AM
Lord of the Arts
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England
Re: Monthly Drawing Challenge 9-10/2017

Thanks, Ken.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2017, 10:06 AM
Enthusiast
Missouri, I'm still in Colorado in my heart

Hails from United States

Ken I'm glad you're OK!
Thanks for the challenge, it looks like a good one, I'll check out your link and start on this after my other challenges are done.
Thanks for the extra long time frame.

Dianna

C and C always welcome.
My DeviantArt Gallery http://dianna-art.deviantart.com/gallery/
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2017, 01:05 PM
Lord of the Arts
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

A question, Ken. If I used only one pencil, say a 4H, would I be able to build dark tones by layering with that grade only, or am I going to need to change to a softer grade?

I'm finding I'm getting black specks with the softer grades.

Thank you.

Last edited by Schuee : 09-15-2017 at 01:47 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2017, 05:57 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuee
A question, Ken. If I used only one pencil, say a 4H, would I be able to build dark tones by layering with that grade only, or am I going to need to change to a softer grade?

I'm finding I'm getting black specks with the softer grades.

Thank you.
Mark Montana is an older member (whom I haven't seen here in quite some time) who uses primarily a 7h and gets reasonable darks. I do not know his methods but they would have to include some pretty heavy layering but I don't know what grades he uses in that layering - although probably not soft grades according to what he's written.

With my method, you are going to have to progress with grades in order to gain the darks desired. To adapt what I do to just one grade would mean successively more pressure per layer which is possible, of course, but risks damaging the paper and the more pressure used the less likely you can roll anything back (erase). I would encourage you to practice with just your 4H on SCRAP paper and see how you can make it work. My personal feeling is that you will have to be much more accurate with a single harder grade ... but give it a try and see what you think. These challenges are meant to experiment and try different ideas ... find your personal methods for things. Mine work for me and result in what I have done but they aren't the only way by any means nor are they necessarily right for everyone else. I am fond of fur but it doesn't look right all over the face of a human baby for some reason ... on the other hand I don't think it's been tried yet either .... hmmm ...

Don't you mean white specs?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2017, 06:16 PM
Lord of the Arts
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

Thnaks, Ken, for the help and the link. i will take a look also and, also, practise.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2017, 06:33 PM
Lord of the Arts
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

Made a start. Using H grade pencils - I only have up to 5H and must get some more.

I did try a 2B for the darker parts, but don't like the grainy-ness.

Last edited by Schuee : 09-15-2017 at 06:36 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2017, 12:59 AM
Standerton

Hails from South Africa

Thanks Ken! Lovely reference photos.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2017, 10:47 AM
Lord of the Arts
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

Here's my first attempt at skin. I am not happy with the grainy texture produced by the B pencil I used. Otherwise, I layered with H grades. Will try again. I will post the drawing separately and try to reduce the blue tinge on the photo.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2017, 10:56 AM
Lord of the Arts
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2017, 05:08 PM
Enthusiast
Maine, USA

Hails from United States

Which October, 2017 or 2018? The one I picked out is going to take me that long. This is going to be one tough challenge.

It is impossible to perfectly recreate that which has been perfectly created.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2017, 05:42 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Remember Dottie .. it's not the entire face - just skin. We'll eventually get to entire faces but we're not there just now.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2017, 06:16 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuee
That's pretty good Penny. You've got the teeth at the right value and the depth of the mouth as well as both being solid. Good. But the skin itself has a grainy appearance. How many layers did you put down and with what grade(s)? I think you got the circulism part but the value appears that you started out with too soft a grade. Also what paper are you using? That can have a massive effect as well.

There is a reason I start with 6H on my layers and that is because it covers well. It's light - often too light - but it's a solid coverage - at least on mellotex. From there I will go to 4H and do it again ... that gives me a solid coverage in layers and the grainy aspect is minimized.

Here's something of a progressive image of one I did some time back .. but he has older skin. I did a lot of reworking his cheek (everywhere really) but extra layers made the skin less grainy and more, well, solid. When the time comes I'll get into skin detail but for now I think being solid is important.

Also, be very careful about the size and direction of wrinkles around a mouth. My first impression of looking at your drawing was that she had two sets of teeth. I think part of the reason for that is that the depth of the creases/wrinkles doesn't have a very solid edge. Looking closely you can see that each one appears to have been drawn in the direction of the skin - across the width of the mouth, for instance. They are slightly blurred as a result. The thing is wrinkles are not carved, but they do have most distinct edges that extend along the length of the wrinkle as opposed to against that - if that makes any sense. It's hard to explain ... the wrinkle should not generally be a very dark LINE but more a darker value area with an edge.

Let's try it this way .. in general a wrinkle should have 3 features - like anything really. A highlight, a shadow and a mid value. The dark is the depth of the crease which shouldn't generally be too dark - just enough for the depth to show. But that dark is along the length of the wrinkle. Same for all the parts. Does that make sense? Direction is important.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2017, 03:16 AM

Hails from United States

Ken happy to hear you made it through Irma with little damage. I'm hoping to find time to try skin. I'm getting ready for a show in October so time is slim. Anyway happy to see you back.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2017, 06:51 AM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Thank you Karen. If you don't get a chance to try this one I will be moving onto other human features in the future so you can do some catch up then.