WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Fiber Arts
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2017, 06:50 AM

Need suggestions

Hi friends,

My wife is very much interested in arts and crafts. But she is not yet studied anything. Now she is telling me that she needs to do some creative stitch in works and need to study crochet. She started making flowers through YouTube tutorials. I think she could more explore in this area if I find right source for her. Do you have any tutorials to suggest me? Please let me know
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2017, 03:35 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States
Re: Need suggestions

Crochet is a great way to do some creative fiber work. Hope to see your wife posting here herself soon.

As to tutorials. YouTube is great for learning basic stitches and even some advanced things. The other thing is to take that yarn and practice. Make flowers, hats, shawls, scarves, etc. For some people, visual learning thru videos is perfect. For others, book learning is better. Which does your wife prefer? If it's book learning, a great place to start is a local library. They often have "how to" books on various crafts.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2017, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

I learned from books back in the 60's. Crochet is great for doing freeform creative stuff.
Libraries are great places to explore books.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2017, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Southern California

Hails from United States

Hi Safiy! Welcome! It's nice to "meet" you.

I have quite a few free crochet tutorials and patterns available. Here's a link to my page of flower patterns:

http://knittingandcrochet.net/flowers/

I know of two really fantastic books for helping beginners learn how to crochet flowers. One of them is called "Crochet Flowers Step by Step" by Tanya Shliazhko. The book is published by St. Martin's Griffin. It includes complete written-out instructions with step-by-step photo tutorials for a wide variety of pretty crocheted flowers and leaves.

The other is Mollie Makes Crochet. It has a whole bunch of different kinds of patterns and instructions that are appropriate for beginners, including some truly exquisite crochet flower patterns by one of my favorite crochet designers, Emma Lamb. The book covers a wide range of information that is helpful to beginning crocheters, and the projects are colorful, pretty and fun ones. If you're in the USA, Interweave Press is the US distributor for this book, and I'm pretty sure you can get it at the Interweave Store website.

If your wife would like more details about either of those books, here are links to reviews that have more information about them:

Crochet Flowers Step By Step pattern book

Mollie Makes Crochet book

Last edited by sugarpinkrose : 09-16-2017 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Edited to fix links
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2017, 06:20 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

I agree that crochet is a very approachable skill. And the internet does have so much to offer in terms of patterns. I also have found a lot of books in the public library. She might also find that needle felting is a fun fiber craft. I just did a search, and several videos came up.Check it out.

Jen