WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing > Framing Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2017, 08:37 PM

Hails from Ecuador
Mount canvas to board temporarily?

I live in South America, but I frequently go back to the US, and I want to be able to take paintings on canvas in my luggage. My wish is to take a rolled canvas in a cardboard tube in my luggage.
However, while I am here, I want to frame them. I want to mount them (some are quite large) to MDF panels, but I want it to be temporary. I have tried wrapping the board, and literally taping them as tightly as I can to the back of the MDF. But this is just really unacceptable. The tape is just not holding.

Also, I hate to wrap the canvas around the sharpish edges of the MDF. It just doesn't seem wise.

Please, is there a way to do this? Is there a better way?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2017, 10:19 AM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States
Re: Mount canvas to board temporarily?

Have you tried velcro tape all round the edges of the board and back of the canvas?
Also MDF will take short staples. You could remove them later with needle nose pliers.
now neither of these method will give you a really tight fit.......but, this is a tough problem. MDF is heavy, why not just staple to stretcher strips? take the staples off later???
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2017, 11:19 AM

Hails from Ecuador

I need to find a maestro who can make stretcher bars, I guess. Oh, and a stapler. Do you have a recommendatiion for staples? Please?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2017, 04:07 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-H...FcdFNwodWDkDxw
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2017, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Clinton, MA

Hails from United States

You can get stretcher bars at any art supply store. Also, any local custom frame shop would be able to stretch the canvas(es) for you. It's a skill in its own right. No reason you can't learn to do it yourself, but it takes getting used to. Short term you could have a framer do it for you, while you learn how to do it yourself on stuff that isn't as important.

Also, a frame shop can make up custom stretchers as needed for cases where standard stretchers don't fit. I have my own shop and order custom off size stretchers through a planing mill. Other frame shops do the same.

If you're bringing them from S. America, I assume the measurements are metric? If so, make sure to get metric stretchers of the appropriate size. Standard is assumed in the states, not metric
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2017, 02:04 AM

Use your masonite and make it a cradled panel. Then staple your painting to the 1"X 2" just like you would on stretcher bars.

I think however, i would just buy stretcher bars and do it that way. A bit more money but no sawing cutting and nailing and you could detach the canvas when you leave and take the stretcher bars with you.

I have a problem using a regular staple gun, so I bought an air compressor and use a pneumatic staple gun. If you have access to an air compressor I would recommend getting an Arrow brand 1/4 stapler - only $32 - about the same price as a good manual staple gun
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Arrow-Fas...PT50/300126656

This makes mounting canvas a breeze - to the cradled panel or stretcher bars.