WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Marine Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Reply  
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2017, 08:09 PM
WoodyWelch's Avatar
WoodyWelch WoodyWelch is offline
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,706
 
Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter The Siren's Song

This started out as an artwork in colored pencils and quite a bit of it still remains, but I wasn't happy with the way it was coming along so I resorted to acrylics for a more intense look (the flukes of the tail and the rocks) Still not happy, I uploaded it and began to lightly play around with areas using digital blur tools ( the lightning bolt I drew in digitally) and adjusting the color. It's better than it was.

The absolute BEST thing about it was, that when I posted it onto my Facebook gallery, the shadowy figures that run that place removed it (and ME for a week) saying that it was pornographic.

What the hey????

I do lots of nudes and this is one of my most demure pieces...I HATE the clam shell over the breasts Disney versions of these things. I've put the butt icon up so as to be absolved of sin.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2017, 05:48 PM
sea dangler sea dangler is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,119
 
Re: The Siren's Song

Well Woody!,It is different but well rendered especially the Siren and the rock.
Dave
Reply With Quote
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2017, 11:07 PM
baudolino baudolino is offline
Enthusiast
NY
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,147
 
Hails from United States
Re: The Siren's Song

Interesting texture and effects here and composition. Wow! Nude Siren, calm aqua sea with a boat and a lightning with dark menacing sky... That's a lot. So, this is partly digital? Again greatly painted.

and haha, Michelangelo had the same problems. But no facebook in his time

Alex
Reply With Quote
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2017, 08:20 PM
Ju-Ju-Beads Ju-Ju-Beads is offline
Member
Mississippi Gulf Coast
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 50
 
Hails from United States
Re: The Siren's Song

Excellent job: the siren's tail is detailed with color/shape I've not seen before, and the rocks are spot-on! The ship may be a bit of mythology, too. It sails with a full set of sails, bellied out with a wind that doesn't affect the water. For sails to fill like these do and to generate a wake requires a significant wind. Yet there are no waves visible-- no waves breaking on the rocks, none in the surface of the sea, even the wake is completely smooth. Might this be the Flying Dutchman, perhaps?
Reply With Quote
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2017, 09:07 PM
WoodyWelch's Avatar
WoodyWelch WoodyWelch is offline
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,706
 
Hails from United States
Re: The Siren's Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea dangler
Well Woody!,It is different but well rendered especially the Siren and the rock.
Dave

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2017, 09:12 PM
WoodyWelch's Avatar
WoodyWelch WoodyWelch is offline
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,706
 
Hails from United States
Re: The Siren's Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by baudolino
Interesting texture and effects here and composition. Wow! Nude Siren, calm aqua sea with a boat and a lightning with dark menacing sky... That's a lot. So, this is partly digital? Again greatly painted.

and haha, Michelangelo had the same problems. But no facebook in his time

Alex

The digital is MOSTLY lessening the contrast and removing some things that got in the way of the subject matter and desaturating the color a bit....also the lightning is digital. It's just another brush to me.
Reply With Quote
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2017, 09:18 PM
WoodyWelch's Avatar
WoodyWelch WoodyWelch is offline
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,706
 
Hails from United States
Re: The Siren's Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ju-Ju-Beads
Excellent job: the siren's tail is detailed with color/shape I've not seen before, and the rocks are spot-on! The ship may be a bit of mythology, too. It sails with a full set of sails, bellied out with a wind that doesn't affect the water. For sails to fill like these do and to generate a wake requires a significant wind. Yet there are no waves visible-- no waves breaking on the rocks, none in the surface of the sea, even the wake is completely smooth. Might this be the Flying Dutchman, perhaps?

I suppose if this was going to be something that would hang on the wall I might've had an angry sea and...obviously...I don't know nuthin' 'bout no boats (or ships) , MY marine art is about creatures of the sea, fantasy and reality, so I'm just having fun here. Like I said, when I was working on this it sorta got outta hand and was becoming something other than what I saw in my mind's eye. So I fixed it...kinda.

I concentrated on the mermaid and let the rest trail out. Anyway, she and her sisters are going to wreck the ship and eat the sailors (and not in a good way) so there ya go!
Reply With Quote
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2017, 03:31 AM
nickib's Avatar
nickib nickib is offline
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Discovery Bay, Ca.
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,952
 
Hails from United States
Re: The Siren's Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWelch
This started out as an artwork in colored pencils and quite a bit of it still remains, but I wasn't happy with the way it was coming along so I resorted to acrylics for a more intense look (the flukes of the tail and the rocks) Still not happy, I uploaded it and began to lightly play around with areas using digital blur tools ( the lightning bolt I drew in digitally) and adjusting the color. It's better than it was.

The absolute BEST thing about it was, that when I posted it onto my Facebook gallery, the shadowy figures that run that place removed it (and ME for a week) saying that it was pornographic.

What the hey????

I do lots of nudes and this is one of my most demure pieces...I HATE the clam shell over the breasts Disney versions of these things. I've put the butt icon up so as to be absolved of sin.


Excellent!!!
__________________
www.nickib.net
Reply With Quote
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2017, 03:51 AM
WoodyWelch's Avatar
WoodyWelch WoodyWelch is offline
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,706
 
Hails from United States
Re: The Siren's Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickib
Excellent!!!


THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:38 AM.


© 2014 F+W All rights reserved.